#21 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:14 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 22 July 2011 - 09:24 PM, said:

OK if playing games is the only thing you use a computer for.. period.. why have a computer?
So you can play computer games?  How else would you play them, by telepathy or something?

--Eric

#22 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:38 AM

Oh gee I don't know.. get a console or something? I mean that's what they are for right as dedicated gaming machines? It's probable that most people who have a computer use them for more than just games to be honest. Double so for those who have macs... to suggest they do get them just for games is silly at best. Like games are a big thing on iOS but I bet no one gets an iPhone just to play games. Who here got your computer to JUST play games on it raise your hand... I thought so. Although what others choose to do with their own hardware is up to them.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#23 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 23 July 2011 - 05:38 AM, said:

Oh gee I don't know.. get a console or something?
That's like if I said, "I feel like playing some hockey", and you handed me a golf club.  Yes, they are both games, but in both cases I'm going to look at you funny (and probably hit you with the golf club for being deliberately obtuse).  In other words, let me know when you can play games like Civilization on a console (not Civ Rev), or Heroes of Might & Magic, not to mention playing FPS games without being totally gimped, or the cool indie games, most of which never make it to consoles, or etc. etc. etc.

--Eric

#24 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

Thank you for cherry picking the one thing you can quickly dismiss offhand without considering the rest. I was talking about a person getting a system solely for playing games. No you can't play hockey with a golf club but a console is not the golf club to a Personal Computer's hockey stick. If someone asked to play video games and  said "I a system solely for playing games" and someone handed them a console they wouldn't look a them funny and bash the console over their head unless they are a major sociopath. Whether a person would like to play a FPS on a console is a matter of personal preference and taste there are people who actually prefer using a gamepad to play those games and even use them on a Personal Computer. Not me mind you, but I understand their point of view. You may have a point with the Civ games or Heroes of Might and Magic though. However a person who plays those games on a Personal Computer probably didn't get that machine SOLELY for playing those games either. I'm not actually pro consoles... far from it but even I understand they have a purpose for some people. There are many etc. etc. etc.'s that consoles have that never make it to personal computers either.

A) I doubt anyone just got a Mac solely to play games and why should it matter if they did... it's their life.

B) There are many options there are to play games on a Mac including Bootcamp, WINE and various other ways to run games on it. There's nothing inherently wrong with any of those options and none of them nullify the point of a Mac except perhaps buying a Mac and running everything in Windows... but that is up to the individual to decide. I for one don't go around telling people their personal choices are invalid and order them not to do it in that regard.

C) you are sounding like someone who is anti-mac when you said what you said earlier. You should just switch to the PC and get it over with if your opinion of the Mac is so low.

Besides I never suggested that a person not get a computer just that people generally don't get them just to play games. You asked how a person could play games without a computer so I answered... but there's nothing to stop them from mostly gaming on a console and doing stuff you can't do on there on a computer.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

The funny thing about this discussion is, no one here ever said "I got a computer solely for gaming".

View Postdorkhero, on 22 July 2011 - 08:51 PM, said:

If I'm running most of my gaming apps through CrossOver/Wineskin/VirtualBox etc. why bother even having a Mac?
All dorkhero said here was that he plays mostly Windows games. He never said the only thing he did on his computer was gaming.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#26 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:15 PM

Yeah I don't get where he was making that assumption from... dorkhero didn't even say he got a mac solely for gaming... and like I said who does that anyway and why should it matter if they did? But I think the best direct answer to what that question really meant was. "Because you like the Mac and want to have everything in OS X rather than on a separate system or OS." My games are about 50/50 wrapped and "native" and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Some people use Linux as their primary OS and run all their games in WINE and it's because they would rather not run Windows so for them it's worth it. Same thing could be applied to OS X although there's more native games available or OS X than for Linux.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#27 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:36 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 23 July 2011 - 02:01 PM, said:

C) you are sounding like someone who is anti-mac when you said what you said earlier. You should just switch to the PC and get it over with if your opinion of the Mac is so low.
Ha.  What I responded to was "If I'm running most of my gaming apps through CrossOver/Wineskin/VirtualBox etc. why bother even having a Mac?"  The obvious implication being that gaming was the only thing being done, or the only thing considered important, or else the question wouldn't need to be asked.  The obvious implication of my reply was that I consider gaming to be only part of what's important about a computer.  (I mean, asking on a Mac forum what the point is in having a Mac, seriously?)

Also, with the question "if playing games is the only thing you use a computer for.. period.. why have a computer?" the implication is that consoles are somehow automatically a preferable substitute, which isn't the case.  If I decided I was going to dedicate my life to gaming from now on, and I could only have one device, I'd get a computer, since that way I'd consider the best experience (much higher resolution/framerate, a better variety of the type of games I'm interested in with better controls, no messing around with annoying disks, less expensive games).

You asked how a person could play games without a computer so I answered...
I didn't ask that.  I said "computer games" quite specifically.  It would be kinda nice if you'd reply to what I said, not what you imagine I said.  Anyway you're apparently arguing for the sake of arguing, over a misinterpretation at that, so I'm done.  :)

--Eric

#28 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

Speaking of imagining people saying things.... and misinterpretations...

No the "implication" was that person felt like if they are only running windows games via WINE\virtualization they may as well switch whole hog to Windows for everything gaming or not. Not that it makes any sense if you prefer the mac in the first place and it's not like running those games in WINE for example erases every other benefit of a Mac. But that's what that person's line of reasoning seems to me.

As for consoles no, that's not the implication the "implication" is they are a viable alternative for people who want a device that's primary function is to play games. It's not automatic but it's doable depending on your taste in games and your personal preferences. People get by only playing games on consoles and never on a computer.

I thought "the obvious implication" of your reply was that a Mac is an inferior way to play games (computer or otherwise if you have to make the distinction) if that's the primary purpose of one owning a computer rather than what you said. Or if I where to make an assumption in your style "a PC is automatically better at games than a Mac".

The "gaming is only one factor about a computer" (regardless whether it's Mac or PC I might add) is more my "implication" than yours. I was questioning whether most people get any computer solely for games more than anything...

And again it's not like anyone said they got a Mac or even a Personal Computer solely for gaming anyway. Some people would say the same thing about your hypothetical choice if you where to dedicate your life to gaming as you did the imaginary situation of the person who is dedicating their life to playing games on a Mac... or at the very least using a Mac solely to play games. Which going by earlier I'd guess you'd choose a PC in that situation otherwise you'd make what you said earlier sound hypocritical. They would say if all you do is use a PC as a glorified console you may as well get an actual console... the PC wasn't the best choice because of *insert all the excuses a person makes for switching to a console like buggy PC games, installation, games exclusive to a console etc. here*
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:13 PM

:glare:  You kids better not make me come upstairs!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:19 PM

Fantastic. Freeverse, now part of ngmoco, have also ditched every game that doesn't instantly work under Lion.

Which means no Burning Monkey Solitaire, no Hearts, etc. etc. Some games have survived purely by chance, it seems. Would have been nice to see them refit some of these titles for Lion and newer machines, and release on the Mac App Store, perhaps. Though that's obviously not quite out of the question.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#31 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 23 July 2011 - 06:13 PM, said:

:glare:  You kids better not make me come upstairs!

Hey, if you think this conversation was bad you haven't been around many forums\discussions where people are totally uncivil to each other calling each other names and such. Compared to the rest of the internet this is tame. No one around here has called anyone else an arsehole or a moron yet.... unlike other places that'll go nameless. That is something I'll never do. This is just a discussion.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#32 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

View Postteflon, on 23 July 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

Fantastic. Freeverse, now part of ngmoco, have also ditched every game that doesn't instantly work under Lion.

Which means no Burning Monkey Solitaire, no Hearts, etc. etc. Some games have survived purely by chance, it seems. Would have been nice to see them refit some of these titles for Lion and newer machines, and release on the Mac App Store, perhaps. Though that's obviously not quite out of the question.
To be honest with you it seems most games and applications survive purely by chance. This happens on Windows too sometimes newer OS' and updates break older games\applications. It's a shame that companies like freeverse are abandoning that software rather than updating it but kind of not surprising in their case. I can confirm that the one freeverse game that I own... Kill Monty is still working. I was almost thinking they'd drop the mac entirely.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#33 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:07 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 23 July 2011 - 06:21 PM, said:

arsehole
Hey!  Stop namecalling!  tBC, he said a bad word!  And make him stop looking at me!

--Eric

#34 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:39 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 23 July 2011 - 06:27 PM, said:

To be honest with you it seems most games and applications survive purely by chance. This happens on Windows too sometimes newer OS' and updates break older games\applications. It's a shame that companies like freeverse are abandoning that software rather than updating it but kind of not surprising in their case. I can confirm that the one freeverse game that I own... Kill Monty is still working. I was almost thinking they'd drop the mac entirely.

Yup, it's just a shame to see stuff get abandoned, no matter how old it is. I was playing Burning Monkey Solitaire just the other day...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#35 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:56 AM

You know, they've put out many new versions of Burning Monkey over the years.  Isn't it likely they'll release a new version eventually?  They are, after all, a Mac software company.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#36 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:35 AM

View Postdojoboy, on 22 July 2011 - 08:13 PM, said:

I'm not updating anytime soon. It can't be that great.

It is. Lion is great.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#37 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

View Postclocknova, on 24 July 2011 - 04:56 AM, said:

You know, they've put out many new versions of Burning Monkey over the years.  Isn't it likely they'll release a new version eventually?  They are, after all, a Mac software company.
Not anymore. Since they have been bought by ngcomo, they no longer make Mac software. Hordes of Orcs 2 was an odd exception.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#38 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 24 July 2011 - 07:07 AM, said:

Not anymore. Since they have been bought by ngcomo, they no longer make Mac software. Hordes of Orcs 2 was an odd exception.

Wow.  That is so utterly disappointing.  It seems odd that a company that makes a living doing a certain thing would sell themselves to another company that would effectively force them to stop doing that thing.  What a waste.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#39 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

View Postclocknova, on 24 July 2011 - 09:13 AM, said:

Wow.  That is so utterly disappointing.  It seems odd that a company that makes a living doing a certain thing would sell themselves to another company that would effectively force them to stop doing that thing.  What a waste.
Well, Freeverse successfully ventured into the iOS business before they got bought. I guess they made a better living with the iPhone stuff than with the Mac software.

#40 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

Ahhhh, iOS.  What a mixed blessing that has turned out to be.  Personally, I hate the influence it has had on Lion, and won't upgrade until someone creates some software that restores some of Snow Leopard's functionality (Spaces, in particular).  Ah, well.  That's progress.
-V. Marchetti, CIA