#1 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

Posted Image

Lions launched. Who's upgraded/grading, who's not?

First impressions, gripes, compliments?

I've lots of work to do on this machine as of the moment and not much money at all so i think i might be holding off for a little longer on the upgrade. I'm extremely keen on the state saving features though as document saving (in word processing at least) is easily one of my biggest gripe's about personal computing today.

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#2 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:46 AM

I've finished downloading it, which is cool, and created my bootable USB stick.
Now to do a final SuperDuper backup, create a few export files of bookmarks and things, then switch HDDs in my MBP, and get to installing stuff. It's gonna be awesome :D

This will also be the first time I deviate from having Macintosh HD as my HDD's name. I'm going to have Ramona for the Lion partition, and .Scott for Windows. Feel the Scott Pilgrim love!
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

View Postteflon, on 20 July 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:

I've finished downloading it, which is cool, and created my bootable USB stick.
Now to do a final SuperDuper backup, create a few export files of bookmarks and things, then switch HDDs in my MBP, and get to installing stuff. It's gonna be awesome :D

This will also be the first time I deviate from having Macintosh HD as my HDD's name. I'm going to have Ramona for the Lion partition, and .Scott for Windows. Feel the Scott Pilgrim love!

I won't be able to get it till I come home from work tonight, they're (apple) gonna release bootable USB sticks in the coming month for $69. I guess they just want to get the traffic going for the mac app store first
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#4 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

AirDrop looks like a neat little feature. Other than that, nothing too exciting for me. I'll pass.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

I'm holding out for awhile.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 20 July 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

I'm holding out for awhile.

Now installed and will start testing - think we ought to have a compatibility testing thread as before?
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#7 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

View Postmattw, on 20 July 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

Now installed and will start testing - think we ought to have a compatibility testing thread as before?

Yes, please. That would be great. I remember some OS upgrade that killed my ability to finish Marathon in its latest port version. Very aggravating.
Home: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Windows 7
Travel: MacbookPro 2.9GHz Quadcore i7/16GB RAM/1TB SSD/Radeon Pro560 with 4GB VRAM/Sierra/Windows 10

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/Sierra/Windows10/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#8 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

Lion is a whole lot of lion droppings. I will be sticking with snow leopard for as long as forever unless apple makes a new os after lion that is not like lion. Its crap. I will never pay money for that.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#9 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

Lion is terrific, but CoD deluxe isn't working...anyone else?

#10 iRolley

iRolley

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

As always, a great lecture : Ars's review of Lion http://arstechnica.c...os-x-10-7.ars/1

#11 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

I'm just about done getting myself all put back together... There's some neat things to like in Lion, but there's a lot to yell "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING AND WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS!!!" at Apple for too...

On the latter side of you can put reversed scrolling and disappearing scroll bars, stupid slightly-chuggy animations everywhere for everything, stupid ugly redesigns of Address Book and iCal, and the now totally fugly sidebar in the finder. That last one's particularly stupid, they've upped the font size, so nothing fits, and reversed the category order from Snow Leopard, and this is one thing you can't roll back either... Thankfully that's not true of them having hidden away your Library folder.
Oh, also there is absolutely no colour anywhere... I'm not complaining, since I prefer the graphite anyway, but some might not enjoy it.

There was a little skit the Dock played on me early on with switching my icons around, that was getting on my nerves, but it's stopped with that now. I imagine that the App Store still shoves stuff into the dock, though, which will inevitably get right on my nerves...

What is to like, though, is Safari being very swish again (the loading bar is back in 5.1 I think?), Mail is simply wonderful 5 years after it needed a redesign, the System Profiler app is ace too, with all the previous info tucked away should you desire it. LaunchPad replaces Overflow, which I'd stopped using anyway since getting LaunchBar, but it looks quite functional overall. Mission Control seems to be a good weave together of all the previous Expose, Dashboard etc. etc.

Two things jump out at me, though. The seemingly system wide spell check is brilliant. It might annoy people that don't want it to pop up constantly, but when you spelling something wrong it just gives you an iOS-like suggestion underneath. Also the app saving state is cool. I didn't quite know what was going on when I first restarted, but suddenly all my previous apps had opened up where I'd been when I hit to restart. Versioning of a file will be cool too.

That's my initial impressions. The upgrade went seamlessly for me, and I cut a lot of cack from my old HDD out, though I still have Boot Camp to sort out tomorrow. For those doing in-place installs, it seems to have been practically seamless. Every app I've tried has worked just fine, though they'll obviously need to patch in order to add Lion specific features like full screen etc. Not that I'll ever use that...

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#12 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Agree on all fronts + these annoyed me too: http://www.tuaw.com/...gs-that-bug-me/

#13 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

I'm downloading now. I fully expect this OS to radically change my life and how I view everything. I will become richer and stronger, smarter and better looking, what is not to love about Lion?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#14 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

I hate iCal now... address book doesn't bother me as much.

#15 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 20 July 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

Lion is a whole lot of lion droppings. I will be sticking with snow leopard for as long as forever unless apple makes a new os after lion that is not like lion. Its crap. I will never pay money for that.

Care to elaborate?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#16 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

View Postteflon, on 20 July 2011 - 05:42 PM, said:

I'm just about done getting myself all put back together... There's some neat things to like in Lion, but there's a lot to yell "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING AND WHY HAVE YOU DONE THIS!!!" at Apple for too...

On the latter side of you can put reversed scrolling and disappearing scroll bars, stupid slightly-chuggy animations everywhere for everything, stupid ugly redesigns of Address Book and iCal, and the now totally fugly sidebar in the finder. That last one's particularly stupid, they've upped the font size, so nothing fits,

System Preferences-->General-->Sidebar icon size: small. You're welcome. Hated that, too.

I *love* the iOS scrollbars. Simple and elegant. I like that they disappear, but I could see how others would find that annoying. The animations are gratuitous at times, but I kinda like them. (I'm a sucker for eye candy). But on the WTF ARE YOU THINKING front, fullscreen with multiple monitors DISABLES the second monitor. Also, Mission Control has a few problems. It is not overly obvious how to add spaces ( The + button on the right is completely hidden) spaces don't wrap when you reach the end, and if you do a two-finger scroll on an app to expand the windows, it inexplicably doesn't expand them so they are no longer overlapping. I really wish Apple would put back All Windows Expose as an additional view. It's far superior to MC in instances when you have a ton of windows open.

I will never, ever use Launchpad, (Spotlight for me--BTW, the new spotlight previews are awesome) but I can see how it would be useful to novice users. It's pretty evident it's still half-baked at this point, though--you can't delete non-Mac apps and there's no way to search it. And I'm not sure how it goes about detecting your apps--I haven't configured it at all, and it created this bizarre "SC2 (Other)" folder with 8 copies of something called "SC2."

Also the app saving state is cool.

Eh, I think it's a really good idea, but it's also a bit half-baked at the moment as well.. It desperately needs a blacklist, as it's annoying for Apps like Quicktime. Also, it shouldn't reload left-open documents if you are launching a document from the finder. If I'm doing that, 100% of the time, that's the document I want to work on. I don't want to see the others I'd recently used.

Oh, also there is absolutely no colour anywhere... I'm not complaining, since I prefer the graphite anyway, but some might not enjoy it.

I prefer the Graphite Appearance in general, but the problem with the grey icons is that it makes sidebar icons harder to identify at a glance. The Finder won't even honor custom icons, which is evil. But I can forgive it since it added sort by date added! This is a godsend for folders like Downloads, especially when you are like me and have a bad habit of not clearing it out that often. Cut and paste and folder merge are also very, very welcome.

What is to like, though, is Safari being very swish again (the loading bar is back in 5.1 I think?), Mail is simply wonderful 5 years after it needed a redesign,

The loading bar was added back a while ago. I agree that Mail is quite awesome now, worth the $30 alone! Also loving the autosave and versions, it's a very, very elegant implementation (well, it will be once they add back the Apple-D shortcut for Don't Save. I assume this is a bug). Glad I switched to iWork so I can enjoy it right away, but for the sake of Office people I hope MS is on the ball and releases a patch for it in a timely manner.

View PostHansi, on 20 July 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

I hate iCal now... address book doesn't bother me as much.

I feel the reverse. Luckily I never really use address book.

Everyone should read the Ars review. You'll have a better appreciation for what's under the hood. And it'll make you feel a bit dumber.

Oh, from what I understand about OpenGL and games, they must be updated to take advantage of the new OpenGL goodness. I hope Aspyr and Feral have plans to do this, especially for their newer stuff. *cough* Civ V.

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:51 AM

View PostiRolley, on 20 July 2011 - 04:40 PM, said:

As always, a great lecture : Ars's review of Lion http://arstechnica.c...os-x-10-7.ars/1
Informative and addresses quite a few of my concerns about Lion.

I haven't installed or even bought Lion yet and I don't think this will happen anytime soon: there's just no incentive for me to do that. Either, I don't care about the new features (fullscreen apps, Launchpad in particular) or I don't like them (the scrollbars, what they have done to Exposé and Spaces). And the few things that sound good, like the Resume, are obviously flawed, especially, when I read stuff like this:

View PostCougar, on 20 July 2011 - 09:06 PM, said:

Also, it shouldn't reload left-open documents if you are launching a document from the finder. If I'm doing that, 100% of the time, that's the document I want to work on. I don't want to see the others I'd recently used.
Meh.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#18 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:56 AM

Cmd-Delete or Apple-Backspace depending on how you want to say it to "Don't Save" now.

Some valid points. I've not really played too much with the auto-save, and I've never really been a heavy user of spaces or expose before now either, so Mission Control is just a nice bonding of those things to me.
LaunchPad is a bit broken, yes. It's very very difficult to set stuff up in the order you want, and just a bit too cumbersome if you're used to Spotlight/LaunchBar or whatever. Still, as with Overflow, I kept it around because sometimes it's nice to click something, and for a few apps it's a bit quicker to hit the LaunchPad trigger button (I've set it to F1), and then click something on the top row...

Oh, thanks for the sidebar tip, that would have annoyed me no end. I just hadn't spotted it! :)

#19 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3299 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

View PostCougar, on 20 July 2011 - 09:06 PM, said:

Eh, I think it's a really good idea, but it's also a bit half-baked at the moment as well.. It desperately needs a blacklist, as it's annoying for Apps like Quicktime. Also, it shouldn't reload left-open documents if you are launching a document from the finder. If I'm doing that, 100% of the time, that's the document I want to work on. I don't want to see the others I'd recently used.

How to disable lions resume feature

www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/how-to-disable-lions-resume-feature/

Sorry I'm on my phone so I don't feel like doing legit links

#20 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

I don't plan to upgrade any time soon. I completely skipped Tiger. I am going to be buying a new MacBook Pro this Fall though, so I guess I'll be forced to have it on one of my computers. Hopefully there will be a couple of bug fixes released by that time.