7 replies to this topic

#1 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:17 AM

I don't know if anyone is still play Civ IV, Warlords or BTS, but one of the things I like to do on occasion is to play the World map with 18 Civilizations . It's very hard, but I enjoy the challenge. I find the Romans are the easiest to play as, and the Mayans are the most difficult. With Rome, it's easy to crush the Spanish, French, Germans & Greeks once you get Iron Working. The Mayans are very difficult because your starting place is terrible, and you have the Aztecs as your closest neighbor. I was playing a game as the Mayans one time, had a +9 or something like that relationship with Montezuma (he was pleased, no negatives), and just made an open borders agreement with him. The next turn, he declared war on me!

I'd be interested in hearing anyone else's experience & strategies if you have tried this scenario.

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3013 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:39 AM

I have to try this soon. I found a mega-giga-supersized map of the world on Civfanatics.com with 24 civilizations at a time. Couldn't figure out how to install it though.. :(
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#3 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:08 PM

I've decided to try this scenario out because of this thread. Hadn't paid any attention to the scenarios before.

I randomed Aztec as my civ, Noble difficulty. Just 50 turns into the game, with 3 cities established, I'm feeling really strong. It's staggering how many resources are available in nearby uncontested territory: 4 unique luxuries and 4 unique foods. That includes 2 silvers and 1 gold, and I feel like I can depend on those 3 squares alone to support my economy for a substantial amount of time, and then a handful of dye and spice squares will add a healthy bonus to that when plantations become available. My capital has two irrigated corn squares for plenty of food to support mines in a ton of available hills, it will be extraordinary for churning out military units once I'm ready to turn aggressive.

It looks like I can settle western North America uncontested, and with most of that being hilly terrain I will build such a huge production edge over Roosevelt in the east, who has mostly grassland and plains, that I expect I will be able to conquer him easily once I'm done expanding.

That said, I very rarely finish Civ games on larger maps, so who knows how this will turn out. But I'm having fun with the start and I really like the idea of playing on a real-Earth-based map.

#4 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

Aztecs are pretty easy for owning North & South America, but African & Eurasian countries start swapping techs so it's hard to keep up.

View Postbadger2d, on 23 September 2011 - 09:08 PM, said:

I've decided to try this scenario out because of this thread. Hadn't paid any attention to the scenarios before.

I randomed Aztec as my civ, Noble difficulty. Just 50 turns into the game, with 3 cities established, I'm feeling really strong. It's staggering how many resources are available in nearby uncontested territory: 4 unique luxuries and 4 unique foods. That includes 2 silvers and 1 gold, and I feel like I can depend on those 3 squares alone to support my economy for a substantial amount of time, and then a handful of dye and spice squares will add a healthy bonus to that when plantations become available. My capital has two irrigated corn squares for plenty of food to support mines in a ton of available hills, it will be extraordinary for churning out military units once I'm ready to turn aggressive.

It looks like I can settle western North America uncontested, and with most of that being hilly terrain I will build such a huge production edge over Roosevelt in the east, who has mostly grassland and plains, that I expect I will be able to conquer him easily once I'm done expanding.

That said, I very rarely finish Civ games on larger maps, so who knows how this will turn out. But I'm having fun with the start and I really like the idea of playing on a real-Earth-based map.

#5 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3013 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:20 AM

I tried it yesterday as the Incas. Bastard starding place.. You have room for 3 cities, and then you have to naval transport *everything* to progress. Oh, and you have the aztecs in your backyard. And as mentioned above, when you finally meet the europeans, they are far ahead of you due to tech trading. Bah!
"They're everywhere!"

#6 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 25 September 2011 - 12:20 AM, said:

I tried it yesterday as the Incas. Bastard starding place.. You have room for 3 cities, and then you have to naval transport *everything* to progress. Oh, and you have the aztecs in your backyard. And as mentioned above, when you finally meet the europeans, they are far ahead of you due to tech trading. Bah!

You can get 4 cities if you move your settlers to the coast on the first turn, but your second should be to the south, then your third should be south of that past the mountain range so you can move to the mainland. One great thing about the Incas is that Quechas are great for capturing barbarian cities. Build barracks and then upgrade them for cover so they gain 25% vs archers, and then the next upgrade should be city raider. Won't help you against the Aztecs though. :-)

#7 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 25 September 2011 - 12:20 AM, said:

I don't much like that mountain squares just represent impassable netherworld in Civ 4. On this map Central America has a mountain square in a spot where it's just 1 tile wide, making it impossible to reach South America by land.  :huh:

I don't mind the idea that mountains are hard to cross, but it ought to be doable. Maybe if a unit that steps into the mountains loses a turn or two before it can move again, say, and you require some kind of fairly advanced tech before you can build roads through them and cancel that effect. Mountains just being walls in the world, always and forever, feels wrong.

#8 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3013 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:06 AM

View Postbadger2d, on 25 September 2011 - 09:27 PM, said:

I don't much like that mountain squares just represent impassable netherworld in Civ 4. On this map Central America has a mountain square in a spot where it's just 1 tile wide, making it impossible to reach South America by land.  :huh:

I don't mind the idea that mountains are hard to cross, but it ought to be doable. Maybe if a unit that steps into the mountains loses a turn or two before it can move again, say, and you require some kind of fairly advanced tech before you can build roads through them and cancel that effect. Mountains just being walls in the world, always and forever, feels wrong.
Heh, I liked that. It made sure the aztecs didn't come running. :P

Although, it did feel a bit weird in my next game, where I as the romans, found south america totally unsettled in 1500AD, except for the incas 4 cities.
"They're everywhere!"