53 replies to this topic

#41 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:20 AM

Primarily, it seems that the Lycosa (from looking at the pictures, at least) has low-travel chiclet style keys (like the current apple keyboards).  The Black Widow and all of its derivatives are fully mechanical.  No rubber membranes under the keys, but real honest to god switches.  Clickety-clack.  

I bought the Black Widow Ultimate primarily because it was a mechanical keyboard and after trying it out at Microcenter i was extremely happy to finally have a relatively affordable and beefy mechanical keyboard again.

The Gaming portion of it was purely secondary.

#42 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3681 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 23 November 2011 - 01:20 AM, said:

Primarily, it seems that the Lycosa (from looking at the pictures, at least) has low-travel chiclet style keys (like the current apple keyboards).  The Black Widow and all of its derivatives are fully mechanical.  No rubber membranes under the keys, but real honest to god switches.  Clickety-clack.  

I bought the Black Widow Ultimate primarily because it was a mechanical keyboard and after trying it out at Microcenter i was extremely happy to finally have a relatively affordable and beefy mechanical keyboard again.

The Gaming portion of it was purely secondary.
How much better are the mechanical keyboards, do you think? Enough to warrant a $50 upgrade (or so at least)? Because it is really pissing my off that the current keyboard has no back-lighting, but I have no clue as to whether mechanical keys matter than much. I think I'll go try them out very soon.

…and I'll report back too. ;)

Thanks for your reply, Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#43 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

its a preference thing.  I love mechanical keys.  They are less prone to brekage and tend to have a longer life span, as well as generally being a lot more sensitive.  Also, unlike a typical keyboard, multiple simultaneous keypresses aren't ever an issue - as each key has it's own mechanical switch instead of pressing a contact on a membrane.  

you should try one out - they dont come in low profile 'chiclet' style keyboards - you need a full depth key for the switch.  You may not like it.  Personally, i love them.  I bought the Black Widow precisely because it was mechanical.  The fact that it was from Razer was secondary at best.

#44 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3681 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 23 November 2011 - 07:06 PM, said:

its a preference thing.  I love mechanical keys.  They are less prone to brekage and tend to have a longer life span, as well as generally being a lot more sensitive.  Also, unlike a typical keyboard, multiple simultaneous keypresses aren't ever an issue - as each key has it's own mechanical switch instead of pressing a contact on a membrane.  

you should try one out - they dont come in low profile 'chiclet' style keyboards - you need a full depth key for the switch.  You may not like it.  Personally, i love them.  I bought the Black Widow precisely because it was mechanical.  The fact that it was from Razer was secondary at best.
Hmmm, Yeah. I'll do that when the time allows…and I find a vendor. ;)

Thanks for the info, Lib.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#45 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:56 AM

Firmware update available - REQUIRES PC TO APPLY!!! Yes, in the Mac update section there's a firmware update available... you must have guessed what one of the requirements is by now... a damn PC!

Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Mac Layout Firmware Updater v1.08

Description:         Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Firmware Updater - to be updated on a PC  only.                               Supported Operating System      Version Supported Languages     Windows XP 32-bit Windows Vista 32-bit / 64-bit Windows 7 32-bit / 64-bit              v1.08              English Chinese Simplified                       NOTE:      After installing the firmware updater please go to All Programs >  Razer > Razer Blackwidow Ultimate > Firmware Updater. Open the  updater and follow the instructions to flash the updated firmware to  your Razer Blackwidow Ultimate.              Release Log:              - Add updater feature: launch the firmware updater after installation.  - Bundle the latest firmware v1.08   Reminder: Compatible with Razer BlackWidow Ultimate and Razer BlackWidow  Ultimate Stealth Edition only. If you have a Razer BlackWidow please be  sure to download the BlackWidow firmware updater and not this one.  Please run the updater on a PC only, not a Mac.

:angry: :wall: :moreangry: :bleedingeyes:
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#46 pantherv

pantherv

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Steam Name:panthervca

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

So far my only gripe is the pulsating back light, id much rather is be static and just stay on. Oh and in boot camp the back light does not seem to work.
MP 2.66 QC/8GB/1TB WD Velicoraptor/10.8/GT120/Lacie 234 24in/1TB Gtech/Razer Black Widow Mac Edition Keyboard/Logitech G500 Mouse/Razer eXactMat.Audioengine A5 & A8 Speakers & Sub.
iPhone 4s/32GB/Speck Case
iPad Mini Retina 64

#47 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

View Postpantherv, on 08 February 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

So far my only gripe is the pulsating back light, id much rather is be static and just stay on. Oh and in boot camp the back light does not seem to work.

Works fine for me in both accounts; it probably defaults to a different settting in Windows (off).  

Hold the FN button (next to the right ALT key), and press F12, which controls the backlight.

It has five settings:

Off
low
med
high
high/pulse

#48 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

Looks pretty sweet. I've been wanting a backlit keyboard, I miss the feature from my MBP. I currently use the full length apple keyboard (slim design) and am very used to the keys and design of that. I'd definitely have to demo one of those razor one's somewhere to know if I'd like typing on it or not, what to speak of gaming. I do a lot of writing/coding etc so that's what i need to get a feel for first.

Anyone know where they can be demo'ed in a store, etc?
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#49 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostWumpus, on 08 February 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

Looks pretty sweet. I've been wanting a backlit keyboard, I miss the feature from my MBP. I currently use the full length apple keyboard (slim design) and am very used to the keys and design of that. I'd definitely have to demo one of those razor one's somewhere to know if I'd like typing on it or not, what to speak of gaming. I do a lot of writing/coding etc so that's what i need to get a feel for first.

Anyone know where they can be demo'ed in a store, etc?

Are you in the US?

#50 pantherv

pantherv

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Steam Name:panthervca

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 08 February 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

Works fine for me in both accounts; it probably defaults to a different settting in Windows (off).  

Hold the FN button (next to the right ALT key), and press F12, which controls the backlight.

It has five settings:

Off
low
med
high
high/pulse
Since re installing software it seems to work fine in windows, thanks for those tips. I assume those settings are for windows only though?
MP 2.66 QC/8GB/1TB WD Velicoraptor/10.8/GT120/Lacie 234 24in/1TB Gtech/Razer Black Widow Mac Edition Keyboard/Logitech G500 Mouse/Razer eXactMat.Audioengine A5 & A8 Speakers & Sub.
iPhone 4s/32GB/Speck Case
iPad Mini Retina 64

#51 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 08 February 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

Are you in the US?
Yes, east coast if it makes a difference.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#52 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2666 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostWumpus, on 12 February 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Here in Canada my local computer store lets me demo and products like mice or keyboards in store. I'd just ask whomever is working at your local ship if you can give the keyboard a few clicks before buying
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odinheim - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64

#53 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

View Postpantherv, on 12 February 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

Since re installing software it seems to work fine in windows, thanks for those tips. I assume those settings are for windows only though?

No.  The driver doesnt mean anything.  I can get the lights to rotate just by plugging the thing into my iPod charger. It works in both OSX and WIndows for me, just fine. Then again, im using the "Windows" version of the keyboard.  It works fine in OSX with the mac Driver.. all you hvae to do is go into the Keyboard pref pane and swap L Alt for Command.

View PostWumpus, on 12 February 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Best Buy carries them, and had one sitting out on the shelf at my local store.  Microcenter, if there's one near you, will let you take it out of the box and try it if you ask nice.

#54 Silver Samurai

Silver Samurai

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

Wow. This is my 1st post in a while.

Anyways, I picked up the Razor Lycosa (non-mechanical WIN version) 2 weeks ago and the keys aren't "chiclet" style like the current Mac laptops and keyboard. They're slightly raised a bit more, but not raised like an old school mechanical keyboard.

Anyways I picked this up because my Apple keyboard mysteriously died. Figured I'd rather pay a bit more to make it easier on the eyes while typing in low/dim lighting. While I've "lost" the standard audio keys for itunes, the keyboard has it's own play/pause, forward/rewind keys, along with volume up/down keys as well. Really the only one I've "lost" is mute, but pause is close enough.

All I had to manually change was the ALT and Win key, since then, it's great!
This isn't perfect though. It requires 2 USB ports (if you want to use the port on the keyboard itself) and 2 audio ports if you want to use the audio port adaptor on the keyboard. In my case I'm using a Y adaptor.
Also with the keyboard lights off, it's hard to see what you're typing.
Now if only I could get a keyboard cover...
Hope this helps!
Mac Mini- 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
5GB RAM, 500GB HD + 250GB and 160GB External HDs

Rev.B-Macbook 1.83Ghz Core 2 Duo + OSX 10.6
1GB RAM. 60GB HD

2nd Gen 8GB iPod Touch + OS 3.1