53 replies to this topic

#1 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:32 AM

Razer Black Widow Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is now available, for the same price [as the Wintel counterpart], with a Mac layout (pulldown menu to right on order screen) and Mac drivers!

Now to figure out how to get this purchase past my wife... hmmmMmmmMmmmm... especially since I, not too long ago, purchased a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard which suffers from; ghosting, no Mac drivers and no Mac layout!

OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#2 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3684 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:38 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 07 July 2011 - 02:32 AM, said:

Razer Black Widow Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard is now available, for the same price [as the Wintel counterpart], with a Mac layout (pulldown menu to right on order screen) and Mac drivers!

Now to figure out how to get this purchase past my wife... hmmmMmmmMmmmm... especially since I, not too long ago, purchased a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard which suffers from; ghosting, no Mac drivers and no Mac layout!

Why not do it cash in hand and swap the old keyboard for the new one? ;)

By the way, it does look pretty darn good. :sabber:

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#3 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2731 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

I bought the windows version a couple months back. Never knew there was a mac version coming :(

I absolutely love it tho! Favorite keyboard I've ever owned. The mechanical keys are pure ecstasy to type on
- Snake

Retina MBP: 2.3 GHz Quad i7 || 8 GB RAM  ||  650M 1 GB || OS X Yosemite

#4 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:24 AM

It's got to be better than that Logitech G110 "gaming" keyboard I owned for less than a week- first thing I ever returned to Amazon!
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#5 DrJohnFever

DrJohnFever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

I can attest to the Blackwidow (non ultimate) edition for PC. Had it for a month and a bit (friend loaned it to me) and wow. <insert sex joke about keyboard here> it was the best keyboard ever. I can only imagine what the ultimate would be like.

#6 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:22 AM

*Body Shaking*Must. Buy–Must. Own!*Sweats in Eye*

#7 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:51 AM

DID IT! ORDERED ONE! Free shipping on any order over $125. Now when my wife asks about it; "I found out I could get a new kidney–installation included–for $125 in the Dominican Republic!"

Now when she asks when the hell I needed a new kidney...

#8 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3506 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:39 AM

OK, so I'm clearly not familiar enough with keyboard jargon. What exactly do they mean by "mechanical"? Every keyboard needs to have both mechanical and electrical components in order to convert mechanical finger movement into electrical signals. So logically they actually mean something more specific, and I wonder why they don't just say that. (I did look at the site and it wasn't very helpful in answering this question.)

#9 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:48 AM

They don't seem to show a good view of the Mac layout anywhere.  Does it have separate volume control keys like the white Pro keyboards that Apple made until a few years ago?

--Eric

#10 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3684 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

View PostTesseract, on 11 July 2011 - 02:39 AM, said:

OK, so I'm clearly not familiar enough with keyboard jargon. What exactly do they mean by "mechanical"? Every keyboard needs to have both mechanical and electrical components in order to convert mechanical finger movement into electrical signals. So logically they actually mean something more specific, and I wonder why they don't just say that. (I did look at the site and it wasn't very helpful in answering this question.)
I thnk they mean the key design. I assume not like the new Apple keyboards, but more like the older ones.

Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#11 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:30 AM

View PostTesseract, on 11 July 2011 - 02:39 AM, said:

http://www.razerzone...site/blackwidow click on WHAT ARE MECHANICAL KEYBOARDS

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7265 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:55 AM

It's only available for Mac with a US layout. :glare: Boooh!

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3684 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 12 July 2011 - 05:55 AM, said:

It's only available for Mac with a US layout. :glare: Boooh!
Ahhh, no German key layouts? Poor Janichsan. You could always try forcing the keys off and re-arranging them. :P

Liberator.

#14 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3506 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

OK, so they mean "not membrane". I stand by my view that the term "mechanical" doesn't convey the actual point very well.

#15 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

...just came in... will post pictures much later tonight-I work late, don't get out 'til ca. 1:30AM-hopefully an "initial thoughts", too.

#16 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:37 AM

Posted Image
This isn't just a for-Mac glossy sticker slapped on a Windows box–this sucker's printed for the Mac... printing costs money and Razer didn't skimp on this... and I'm sorry that this is the only really clear shot! :blush:

Posted Image
...Command, Option and Macro keys; the Macro key is the only key that can't be reassigned to another key or macro.

Posted Image
Razer's software allows for different Profiles as well as reassigning keys and macros.

Performance? Great. I initially found the clicky-clacking extremely annoying and loud compared to the Apple "chiclet" keyboard and Logitech Illuminated backlit keyboards I just had but the audio feedback from the keys has actually helped improve my typing overall... really tight performance. All the keys feel like separate interactions and offer less finger slipping and this simply doesn't suffer from ghosting like the Logitech Illuminated keyboard does.

The ports being on the right side of the keyboard, I feel, are a bad design choice considering most gamers are right-handed and those audio in/out and USB cables are bound to be hit against!

Another unfortunate realization is that those ports, in conjunction with the keyboard itself, don't serve as a hub, but an extension. What I mean is that anything being plugged into those ports requires the corresponding plug be plugged in its respective port on your computer (the cable from the keyboard splits out to four (4) cables; USB, "Port", Audio In, Audio Out); Want to use that USB port on the side? Plug the second USB extension cable (labelled Port) from the back of the keyboard into another USB slot adjacent to where you have the USB cable for the keyboard itself plugged in. The mini-jack audio in/out? Same story.

I'm very happy with the purchase so far. Me likes.

...again, sorry for the out of focus pics... I've an old 4MP camera that doesn't seem to handle indoor, low light situations well. I had more pics but just found out about this forum's limitations. :mellow:

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15921 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

Post again, you should be able to double your pics.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3684 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:16 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 04 August 2011 - 03:37 AM, said:

…Razer's software allows for different Profiles as well as reassigning keys and macros.

Performance? Great. I initially found the clicky-clacking extremely annoying and loud compared to the Apple "chiclet" keyboard and Logitech Illuminated backlit keyboards I just had but the audio feedback from the keys has actually helped improve my typing overall... really tight performance. All the keys feel like separate interactions and offer less finger slipping and this simply doesn't suffer from ghosting like the Logitech Illuminated keyboard does.

The ports being on the right side of the keyboard, I feel, are a bad design choice considering most gamers are right-handed and those audio in/out and USB cables are bound to be hit against!

I'm very happy with the purchase so far. Me likes…

Well from your initial thoughts and images, I like the look of it all. I know what my next keyboard will be. ;)

Liberator.

By the way, what is the maintenance tab in the preferences?

#19 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on 04 August 2011 - 09:16 AM, said:

Well from your initial thoughts and images, I like the look of it all. I know what my next keyboard will be. ;)

Liberator.

By the way, what is the maintenance tab in the preferences?

Check for updates...

#20 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3684 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 04 August 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

Check for updates...
So a tab purely for updating?

Oh dear...

Liberator.