16 replies to this topic

#1 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

I just picked up the Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, but I'm finding it almost completely unplayable due to a bug in the mouse control that causes the mouse to lag.  At first, when I was fighting mainly hand-to-hand, it wasn't so bad.  But as soon as firearms came into play, it became virtually impossible to aim.  It isn't a framerate issue; the game is otherwise running quite smoothly with most settings maxed.  Has anyone else had this problem?
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#2 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

No, it's fine here.  Mac Pro, 10.6.7.

--Eric

#3 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:50 PM

It's odd.  The only thing that eliminates the lag completely is to reduce the resolution to 800 x 600.  Not even setting everything else to low or off helps.  This really stinks.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#4 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

Weird.  The only thing that doesn't quite work here is that turning FSAA on results in a bizarre glitch in a few places where the screen doesn't update properly.  If you turn on full-screen image effects, you have to turn off FSAA anyway, so that's what I did.

--Eric

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:30 AM

Perhaps you have something running in the background that is messing with your mouse.  Do you have any 3rd party mouse configuration programs active in your activity monitor?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

A 2011 thread I know, but believe it or not, the game just received an update on the MAS!  I bought it like 3 years ago and it never got updated. The update just says "Fixes and optimizations with latest Mac OS releases".

#7 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:03 PM

I noticed that too. They have been updating a lot of old titles recently which I have been thinking may be for El Capitan? I would guess these still sell well enough for them on the app store to do these updates to them. Hopefully they work.

The original Riddick game is truly excellent, an outstanding experience. I played that when it was new in Windows and gave it very high marks at the time. I've never played the newer one yet. The nice thing about the version on the app store is it includes the original with graphical updates so if the game works decently now after this patch that would be great. If not and one has windows available to them, this title is well worth it just for the first game alone and can be had cheap on Steam I'm sure now. Unless something has changed though I do not believe it is a Steamplay title.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#8 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:07 AM

Last time I played the MAS version V-sync didn't work. Now it does (but in the meantime I updated the OS  and GPU). Performance is good. I get white flashes near sources of light, but these may be intended. There also a lot of grain on the picture (maybe intended as well).

I wals also thinking the update had to with 10.11. But I'm not sure what changed on the openGL front. I'd be very surprised if their games were updated to use Metal. (According to Bard Olivier, the current feature set of metal makes it more suited for older games, which may be why Blizzard mentioned only WoW explicitly an no other game AFAIK).

#9 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1515 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

View Postjeannot, on 20 September 2015 - 01:07 AM, said:

Last time I played the MAS version V-sync didn't work. Now it does (but in the meantime I updated the OS  and GPU). Performance is good. I get white flashes near sources of light, but these may be intended. There also a lot of grain on the picture (maybe intended as well).

I wals also thinking the update had to with 10.11. But I'm not sure what changed on the openGL front. I'd be very surprised if their games were updated to use Metal. (According to Bard Olivier, the current feature set of metal makes it more suited for older games, which may be why Blizzard mentioned only WoW explicitly an no other game AFAIK).

Yeah, I would tend also to really doubt any investment in redoing their old catalog with Metal. I think they are just nursing those along for all they are worth in sales until the sales drop off. Many of the games depending on one's tastes are good ones but I'm finding their means of porting seems to be very hit or miss and the app store feedback tends to validate this. It's hard to know from that though as so often people bitch on the app store reviews and it seems clear it does not dawn on them that contacting support might actually result in them getting the results they desire. Granted it might not but it certainly won't when people don't even try. An it doesn't work on my (unknown) system is useless but common in app store reviews I notice.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell

#10 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

Looks like it's not for sale anymore though?

Edit: Found it. Nothing came up searching "riddick," but did for "dark athena." https://itunes.apple...434048669?mt=12 On sale for $3.99 for September
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#11 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 06:47 AM

Haven't tried it since I started this thread in 2011.  Going to update it and give it a go again.

EDIT:  Nope.  No change.  Four years and a brand new, top of the line iMac later and the money I spent on this game is still wasted.  Completely unplayable at anything but the lowest possible resolution.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I may try and "find" the Windows version and see how it runs in Wineskin.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#12 jeannot

jeannot

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 03:04 PM

It runs very well on my 2006 Mac Pro. :huh:

#13 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

Oh yeah, runs like crap on my setup. Of course my review didn't make it through Apple's review vetting.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#14 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

This will be the next game I play. It has been decided. Riiiiiddiiiiiiiick!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#15 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

The last unexpected patch made the game playable again for me when I last tried it (back when I was on 10.9.x - wow didn't realise I'd been through two major OS X releases since then...) but it would crash as I reported at the time:

"After updating to the latest OS X and deleting all existing saves I was able to play through the game (Butcher Bay) until just after the main frame. The game crashed to the desktop and when reloading the continue button causes a crash at the loading bar screen. It appears that the saves are getting corrupted."

I must try it again on 10.11.3 and see what happens... would like to finish it one day. :)
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6

#16 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:33 PM

Let us know, I don't feel like testing again

#17 mattw

mattw

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 04:57 AM

Well I got a little time to quit out of everything I had running (in case of a hard crash) and tried firing up Riddick in OS X El Capitan 10.11.3.

For the record this shows as version 1.1.0 modified Sept 2015.

On launch it defaulted to 640x480 and low everything then I had to create a user profile so all my old saves had gone - I guess they really were corrupted by last times problems...

Anyway after creating a new profile I changed the graphics back to 1440p and high/ultra and played through the introduction again (I must have played the first hour of this game 10 times but really have no idea what happens after that....).

It all seemed to work fine as far as arriving in your cell and I tested loading that last checkpoint OK.

As I've not got as far this time as when my problems started with corrupt saves the last time I played I can't say it's perfect yet but I'm pleased it's working on the current OS so at least I might get a chance sometime soon.
Mac Pro 09 (now a 5.1, 2 x 3.06GHz Xeon X5675, 24GB, R9 280X 3GB, 480SSD, 16TB HD, MacOS 10.12.6