Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

View PostThe Animaster, on 08 October 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

My bro has a wireless 360 controller and RAGE and other games all seem to have built-in support for it. Just seems the best option.

How long do the batteries last though -- and what batteries do you use? I'd be using Panasonic eVoltas... they seem to last longest for me.
I'm using sanyo eneloops with most of my controllers including my wireless 360 using the official receiver from microsoft. They last a long time but you don't really need to use any special ones with it to have it last a long time I don't think.. I like using rechargables though I have a few sets that I rotate amongst all my peripherals. Sometimes I use rayovac hybrid NiMH batteries. I have two chargers, one for the eneloops and one for the rayovacs. They fit well one one wall socket together so that works out for me.

Also this is the first time I've heard of the wireless 360 pad working with RAGE unless you are talking about bootcamp. I thought Aspyr only supports the wired 360 pad with no drivers installed. The wireless one requires the tattiebogle drivers which Aspyr as far as I knew doesn't support. But then again I haven't had any incentive to keep on trying my wireless 360 pad with RAGE because that game is mostly an FPS and I refuse to play FPS games with a controller and the driving portion works well enough with keyboard for me. In fact the last time I tried racing with a gamepad I had a harder time winning in RAGE when I tried a gamepad with it on the PC... not like in Mafia II (Mac) & LA Noire (on PC) where the driving became easier with a gamepad for me.

Also I never tested the logitech rumblepad 2 with most of Feral's recent games because the wireless 360 pad works well enough that I feel no need. In fact I rarely use the logitech except for a few games on steam like Psychonauts and a few others that seem to prefer it. I was using it with Rayman Origins in WINE but I got my Wii Remote working with that game with a driver called "wjoy" which I think is the control that most suits that game today. I tend to pair the controller I think works best with certain games.

BTW, one thing I like about the 360 pad over the logitech when it comes to racing games is the analog triggers used for gasbreak. Feral's ports make use of them for example.

Lastly, I have to mention this again but in general I'm against keyboard emulation software because it negates the benefit of analog controls for movementsteering (if the left side is used for steering).. keyboard functions are digital.. ON or OFF.. not for example -255 to +255 and any number in between.... same thing for directions.. yes this makes  a difference so native support is best used wherever supported.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#123 The Animaster

The Animaster

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Steam ID:theanimaster

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

View PostEric5h5, on 08 October 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

--Eric

That would explain everything. Starting from Lion, we lost force feedback. Apple just didn't include it. Was it so hard for them to??
Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15"@1680x1050 matte option 1GB Radeon 6750M 16GB RAM

#124 The Animaster

The Animaster

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Steam ID:theanimaster

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 08 October 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

I'm using sanyo eneloops with most of my controllers including my wireless 360 using the official receiver from microsoft. They last a long time but you don't really need to use any special ones with it to have it last a long time I don't think.. I like using rechargables though I have a few sets that I rotate amongst all my peripherals. Sometimes I use rayovac hybrid NiMH batteries. I have two chargers, one for the eneloops and one for the rayovacs. They fit well one one wall socket together so that works out for me.
With my mice I used to use rechargeables. I had to charge them every 2-4 weeks. Safe charging time was 12-15 hours (quick charge wears them down faster). The cost of the batteries (which seem to be good for only a year) and the costs involved in charging them are more than what it cost me for the disposable eVoltas per year -- and that comes to 4 pairs each year (they last 3 months a pair)!

Also this is the first time I've heard of the wireless 360 pad working with RAGE unless you are talking about bootcamp. I thought Aspyr only supports the wired 360 pad with no drivers installed. The wireless one requires the tattiebogle drivers which Aspyr as far as I knew doesn't support.
Whoops. I thought all the Xbox controllers were wireless until I did some more thorough looking. Now I'm thinking of getting a wireless Logitech f710....

Well, now you know I've never touched an Xbox ... let alone seen one for real...

BTW, one thing I like about the 360 pad over the logitech when it comes to racing games is the analog triggers used for gasbreak. Feral's ports make use of them for example.
I keep hearing about these analogue triggers. Are they really analogue or what some people are saying -- 'digital' with 'acceleration' ... I'm kinda thinking the longer you keep it pressed the value goes up exponentially? Otherwise I may as well  just get a WIRED Xbox controller!!

Lastly, I have to mention this again but in general I'm against keyboard emulation software because it negates the benefit of analog controls for movementsteering (if the left side is used for steering).. keyboard functions are digital.. ON or OFF.. not for example -255 to +255 and any number in between.... same thing for directions.. yes this makes  a difference so native support is best used wherever supported.

I won't question the difference but I _have_ seen a guy play with full digital controls. I always thought analogue gave you the ultimate edge but this guy was just crazy good without the value range analogue offers!
Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15"@1680x1050 matte option 1GB Radeon 6750M 16GB RAM

#125 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

Batteries: Well, rechargable ones have worked well enough for me that I've been using them since mid 2010 and only got a fresh set of rechargeables one or two times. Generally speaking they have lasted me longer than any disposable ones ever have and with the ones I've chosen have lasted a long time between charge cycles as well as having no other problems. But I realize your mileage may vary. I've never counted how many daysweeks my fastest draining batteries do but it's infrequent enough and I have enough sets to rotate out that it doesn't bother me so much... and I've saved money on batteries. I've actually found with these batteries I use that I can leave them on the charger and get them when I need them with no ill effect. Whereas with some rechargables I've used in the past if you leave them on there they would explode.

Analog Triggers: Nope they truly are analog.. when you press them they have an analog value (255 when unpressed all the way up to 0 when not pressed)... the value doesn't change with time it changes by how far you have it pushed in. Many games don't use them as such except for games like Alan Wake which uses them for the flashlight boost function and driving sections of games and driving games. But they are there for when you need them. I really like playing Mafia II with that.. makes the driving parts much more bearable. I've also used them with gamecube emulation with games such as Luigi's Mansion where the analog triggers determine the degree of suction his vacuum cleaner does. :P The wired 360 controller has them too though the only difference between wired and unwired is the wire :P

What IS digital with acceleration is the WASD controls for driving in RAGE. That actually makes that more OK when I drive there and oddly enough again I just use keyboard with that game even though I noodled around with switching to gamepad for the driving parts.

Keyboard Emulation: .. people can get used to and get crazy good with just about anything just like a person making a masterpiece with mspaint. Doesn't mean better methods aren't more convenient and you are still negating the benefit of analog controls with a gamepad by using it as a digital control via keyboard emulation. Like when people complain about the keyboard controls in Assassin's Creed. What they are missing is analog direction and movement which you do not get with keyboard emulation. But I have to admit there's no rule against it I'm just trying to make people more aware of this especially since some people seem to use keyboard emulation for everything and never use the native built in gamepad support that games have (I've found at times it's even possible to use that in WINE).

I played Assassin's Creed with keyboard and mouse just fine here. But I'm pretty sure analog movement would have made it even better.

Also:

View PostThe Animaster, on 10 October 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

That would explain everything. Starting from Lion, we lost force feedback. Apple just didn't include it. Was it so hard for them to??
Seems like they just neglected to include the libraries for it.. don't know why... at least you can install them if you have a Snow Leopard install disc or installation you can grab it from.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#126 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

Did anyone notice how awesome DiRT 2 is!!?? :w00t:
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#127 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 10 October 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

Did anyone notice how awesome DiRT 2 is!!?? :w00t:
Yes, I did!!! But what else do you expect from me considering sim racing is my favorite hobby, I love racing on my Mac and the fact that I am too old to be a "real" race car driver! :w00t: Also, there are so few really good OSX racing games that give you great FFB, AAA graphics and sound along with superb production value. This game makes me pretty jealous as I would love my OSX racing sim to look 1/10th as good as this does. :crying:
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#128 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostJaguarGod, on 15 October 2012 - 05:49 PM, said:

Yes, I did!!! But what else do you expect from me considering sim racing is my favorite hobby, I love racing on my Mac and the fact that I am too old to be a "real" race car driver! :w00t:
I think Mario Andretti proved pretty decisively that it's not how old you are; it's how well you avoid doing a backflip after catching a little too much air. :D
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#129 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

I have to admit, after watching some vids of it trying to help out a lowly nvidia 8600 GT owner... I kind of got interested in playing this game :/

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#130 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

Just want to say i got this game thansk to Feral Bundle.... and i love it! The music, the gameplay, even the menu and loading screens are awesome.
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#131 henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Steam Name:henryfakesmile
  • Steam ID:henrycc265

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

View Postikir, on 06 June 2013 - 01:51 AM, said:

Just want to say i got this game thansk to Feral Bundle.... and i love it! The music, the gameplay, even the menu and loading screens are awesome.

anyone know if this game support mac osx game center or not .. i wanna buy it too ... apple really should show the game center icon like iOS app store for god's sake !!

#132 ipickert55

ipickert55

Honorary Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Steam Name:Ian
  • Steam ID:ipickert55

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:24 AM

Im pretty sure it says it somewhere on the side...
Maybe it really is all cocks in the end.

GOG: ipickert55 Add me!

Zeus - Intel Core i7-5820K 3.30 Ghz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 RAM

Poseidon - Retina MacBook Pro Mid 2014, macOS Seirra 10.12.x, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB