Jump to content


Feral Interactive to release Dirt 2!


  • Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

    SiniScope Productions Inc

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Location:Ohio, USA

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

Story here at IMG!

WOW! Simply cannot wait! Games like the ones I am currently working on are small and barely make a splash. High profile games like these are badly needed on the Mac to really keep the faint pulse of native Mac racing games alive. Thank you Feral for taking an interest in releasing Mac versions of these racing games. It's gonna look great on my new Mac racing sim setup.

Vision Racer VR3 New "Carbon" Unit with modded keyboard holder
G27 Wheel
27" LED 1080P monitor (waiting for the triple monitor stand from Vision Racer later this year)
1000w Audio System (only 2.1 though)
Buttkicker LFE
Modded Mac Pro built into Thermaltake Level 10 BMW Design Case
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#2 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

View PostJaguarGod, on 16 June 2011 - 09:41 AM, said:

Story here at IMG!

WOW! Simply cannot wait! Games like the ones I am currently working on are small and barely make a splash. High profile games like these are badly needed on the Mac to really keep the faint pulse of native Mac racing games alive. Thank you Feral for taking an interest in releasing Mac versions of these racing games. It's gonna look great on my new Mac racing sim setup.

Vision Racer VR3 New "Carbon" Unit with modded keyboard holder
G27 Wheel
27" LED 1080P monitor (waiting for the triple monitor stand from Vision Racer later this year)
1000w Audio System (only 2.1 though)
Buttkicker LFE
Modded Mac Pro built into Thermaltake Level 10 BMW Design Case

You're welcome :)

#3 lewdvig

lewdvig

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

such a good game mac racers deserve it - I played the snot out of it - easily worth $40

wish it was dirt 3 so i could skip the pc version

porting this engine should mean F1 2012 and Grid 2 in a timely fashion, yes?

#4 lewdvig

lewdvig

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:36 AM



#5 choiceweb0pen0

choiceweb0pen0

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Steam Name:choiceweb0pen0
  • Location:USA

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

Excited about this too. Loved the port of Colin McCrae a few years ago. It made my want to try rallying for real.  :happy:

#6 iRolley

iRolley

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Location:Antibes - France

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:29 AM

Really excited about this ! BTW very good idea to announced so close to release date (only a month before). Keeps the hype up until release day.

Will we get a demo before the release ?

#7 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:54 AM

View PostiRolley, on 27 June 2011 - 12:29 AM, said:

Really excited about this ! BTW very good idea to announced so close to release date (only a month before). Keeps the hype up until release day.

Will we get a demo before the release ?

There will be a demo closer to release but we are focused on the full game first then the demo once the main game has been completed. Content will be the same as the PC demo.

Cheers,

Edwin

#8 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3079 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:13 AM

Yay, demo time!
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#9 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

    SiniScope Productions Inc

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Location:Ohio, USA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:00 AM

Can we get any information on the FFB in the game? Will it feel more like the console/PC versions or more like what we saw in Colin McRae Rally Mac?
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#10 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

View PostJaguarGod, on 28 June 2011 - 06:00 AM, said:

Can we get any information on the FFB in the game? Will it feel more like the console/PC versions or more like what we saw in Colin McRae Rally Mac?

FFB will exist but it will have the same limitations as the PC. Supported devices will depend on what devices support FFB on the Mac. More details will come closer to release.

Edwin

#11 gizmo

gizmo

    Fan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Location:Kentucky, USA

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

Great news about Dirt 2 coming to Mac. I'm curious to know what graphical effects made the port. I remember the game for PC was delayed because Codemasters wanted to take advantage of DirectX 11. Did some of that eye candy make it? I'm sure it would look very pretty on the new iMacs/MacBook Pros that got decent video cards this year.
13" MacBook Pro/2.7GHz i7/4GB Ram/Intel HD3000/10.6.7
12" PowerBook/1.33GHz/1.25GB RAM/NVIDIA Go5200 64MB/10.5.8
PowerMac G4/2x1.8GHz/1.5GB RAM/ATi 9800Pro 128MB/10.5.8
Homebuilt PC/Core2 Q6600/4GB RAM/NVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB/Win7 64bit
Fat PS3/80GB HD/PS2 software compatible

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7217 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

View Postgizmo, on 29 June 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

Great news about Dirt 2 coming to Mac. I'm curious to know what graphical effects made the port. I remember the game for PC was delayed because Codemasters wanted to take advantage of DirectX 11. Did some of that eye candy make it? I'm sure it would look very pretty on the new iMacs/MacBook Pros that got decent video cards this year.
Even if the DX11 extras won't make it, you probably won't really miss them.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#13 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

View Postgizmo, on 29 June 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

Great news about Dirt 2 coming to Mac. I'm curious to know what graphical effects made the port. I remember the game for PC was delayed because Codemasters wanted to take advantage of DirectX 11. Did some of that eye candy make it? I'm sure it would look very pretty on the new iMacs/MacBook Pros that got decent video cards this year.

DX11 water effects will not be on the Mac version as Mac OS (and the version of OpenGL bundled) does not support Hardware Tessellation. This means things like the DX11 eye candy in DiRT2 will have to wait for more of the OpenGL 4 features to be implemented on the Mac before it is possible to have DX11 style effects on the Mac.

However as mentioned by others the DX11 stuff is very subtle so on new iMacs the Mac version will look a lot nicer than the XBox or PS3 versions but very slightly less than a PC with DX11 enabled but if you run them side by side at full speed you would have to look closely to notice! I have to say on new Mac's DiRT2 will be the nicest looking game in the Feral list of games and will be up their for the status of being the nicest looking game on the Mac. Then again I am a little biased :)

Edwin

#14 iRolley

iRolley

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Location:Antibes - France

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

edddeduck, I guess the game will make it to the Mac App Store, correct ? Do you plan on having it available there around the same time it is available on disk(DVD)  ?

These questions because to me the biggest advantage of a game on the Mac App Store is no need for putting in the disk each time I want to launch the game. I got really tired of looking around for a disk each time I want to play a game.

#15 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7217 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:19 PM

View PostiRolley, on 30 June 2011 - 12:06 PM, said:

These questions because to me the biggest advantage of a game on the Mac App Store is no need for putting in the disk each time I want to launch the game. I got really tired of looking around for a disk each time I want to play a game.
With Feral's current DRM, you don't need a game disk even when you buy the disk version – when you choose to activate the game online.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#16 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:01 AM

View PostiRolley, on 30 June 2011 - 12:06 PM, said:

edddeduck, I guess the game will make it to the Mac App Store, correct ? Do you plan on having it available there around the same time it is available on disk(DVD)  ?

These questions because to me the biggest advantage of a game on the Mac App Store is no need for putting in the disk each time I want to launch the game. I got really tired of looking around for a disk each time I want to play a game.

You have not needed a disk in the drive for about 6 months at least now :) All Feral games in 2011 (including re-releases of games like BioShock and LEGO games) can play with a DVD or using a serial code it is the users choice (one time activation required after that you can play forever offline without internet). We now sell all our new games and release at least one older game in the new DRM format every month we have about 12 games available using this system so far and plan to keep growing the catalogue in the future.

As a side note all Feral games available to download all have exactly the same DRM so you don't need to worry about what store you buy the game (MacGameStore, D2D, GameAgent etc) it will always be the Feral system, all patches and updates always come from our servers directly once you bought the game you don't need to wait for your specific store to patch the title. AppStore patches might in some cases be a few days later as they need to wait for Apple approval.

Edwin

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7217 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:06 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 01 July 2011 - 03:01 AM, said:

All Feral games in 2011 (including re-releases of games like BioShock and LEGO games) can play with a DVD or using a serial code it is the users choice (one time activation required after that you can play forever offline without internet).
On that matter (and slightly derailing this thread): are there plans to patch earlier sold copies of these games to the new DRM? Or is this just not feasible?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#18 Sargiel

Sargiel

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Location:West Sussex, England

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:59 AM

I'd also be interested in losing the DVD dependancy of my older Feral games - but appreciate it might not be possible.

#19 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:57 AM

View PostSargiel, on 03 July 2011 - 02:59 AM, said:

I'd also be interested in losing the DVD dependancy of my older Feral games - but appreciate it might not be possible.

We have legacy support coming for any game that we have re-released in digital format, we are just working out the best way for users who bought the game before we had serials to upgrade to the new serial code system. Just like with the initial DRM release we don't want to release anything until it is as near to perfect as we can manage as the worst thing is to release something that is not quite perfect and needs updating.

Cheers,

Edwin

#20 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7217 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:59 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 04 July 2011 - 04:57 AM, said:

We have legacy support coming for any game that we have re-released in digital format, we are just working out the best way for users who bought the game before we had serials to upgrade to the new serial code system.
Great to hear. :thumbsup:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"