255 replies to this topic

#61 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

Just got into the D3 Beta last night and played through it once. My net blipped twice for like 30 seconds. Once it disconnected me from the game and another time it just sort of froze then came back after about 20 seconds. Annoying but nothing game breaking. It is a stupid requirement. They do a lot with you being online but you should just get the option of SINGLE PLAYER (no net needed) and then the usual online mode with all the fancy integration/friend stuff. Here's looking forward to a hacked version that removes the net requirement so you can play in peace. (And they will do it eventually.) I like multiplayer games, but I've never been a fan of co-op in Diablo games. I found it actually decreases my fun level. They do a lot to make a smooth MP experience in D3 like everyone getting their own loot that only you can see and stuff, but I still prefer solo play. I don't even NPC companions what to speak or real humans.

Will be putting up a beta preview with more thoughts/discussion on this as well as screenshots, notes on mac performance etc. So far I'm not digging the somewhat slight MMO overtones the game has or how much it holds your hand starting out.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#62 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3047 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

I *might* play multiplayer online alone, just to earn $$$ with the auction house (Which I think is awesome).
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#63 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 February 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

I *might* play multiplayer online alone, just to earn $$ with the auction house (Which I think is awesome).
Well technically its always a multiplayer game....just a matter of your privacy settings. Or is there a specific requirement to get the $$ for auction?
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#64 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3047 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostWumpus, on 02 February 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

Well technically its always a multiplayer game....just a matter of your privacy settings. Or is there a specific requirement to get the $$ for auction?
No idea. I'm just asuming there are subtle differences between singleplayer and multiplayer, as there were in Diablo I.
"They're everywhere!"

#65 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 02 February 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

No idea. I'm just asuming there are subtle differences between singleplayer and multiplayer, as there were in Diablo I.
Well as I said...your game is permanently multiplayer in essence. You get 3 privacy options. Invite only, Friends can join at anytime or Public, which is what it sounds like. Obviously if you play on Invite only that's basically single player but you have the option of making it multiplayer at will, which I have to admit is handy should you be so inclined. But your characters are shared (unlike D2 I think, which had them separate? never really did MP so don't remember.)

#66 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3834 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostWumpus, on 02 February 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

It is a stupid requirement.

That will be how many reviews will start or end, I'm sure. Bring on Torchlight II, I say, and let Blizzard toddle on down the shooting-themselves-in-the-foot, punishment-for-all DRM road.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#67 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 02 February 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

That will be how many reviews will start or end, I'm sure. Bring on Torchlight II, I say, and let Blizzard toddle on down the shooting-themselves-in-the-foot, punishment-for-all DRM road.

Probably. Still that being said, Blizzard can and will get away with it. They don't mind and can afford to lose a few customers who either can't or won't play the game due to the always online requirement. Given its all about pushing their new integration, and battle net further as a platform, they aren't going to change it. And the truth is it does offer a lot to those who have good net and want to play the game with friends or in a multiplayer environment.

#68 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3834 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostWumpus, on 02 February 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

Probably. Still that being said, Blizzard can and will get away with it.

Absolutely. The few percentage of customers someone the size of Blizzard loses by this inane DRM requirement (even for single player) won't even be felt by them. I grant you that.

And at the same time those same numbers will make Runic Games very very happy indeed, and that's a good thing.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#69 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1203 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

I'd happily PayPal up for Torchlight II or a Diablo 3 preorder right now... hmmm... lemme go play some Torchlight while this RAGE     tr i      c   k l   e  s       in from mgs.
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#70 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7183 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Considering the insane amount of tinkering still going on, it's hard to believe that Diablo III will be really released May 15. But that's the official date now.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#71 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Steam Name:HulkPunchedThor

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 15 March 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

Considering the insane amount of tinkering still going on, it's hard to believe that Diablo III will be really released May 15. But that's the official date now.

I didn't get into the beta, but according to the Mac forum (and as Janichsan pointed out), people are still seeing quite a few problems and performance issues. I just hope everything is up to Blizzard's usual level of quality control on release date, especially since it is now upon us in less than 2 months.

Reading through a lot of those threads, most people reporting problems are playing on MacBook Pro's.

#72 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3047 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

Considering the insane amount of tinkering still going on, it's hard to believe that Diablo III will be really released May 15.
Well, if they go gold by the end of march, spend ~2 weeks printing the discs, and uploading to various sites, give a 14 days window - Then they still have another month for a day0 update, that'll take care of a lot of things.

But I agree... But my ranting can probably be felt in my other posts. ;)

My favorite bug is in Diablo I, where a hit by a Black Death (Yellow colored zombie), would give you -1 strength, permanently. They fixed that in the 1.10 update though.
"They're everywhere!"

#73 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

View PostBlackwell, on 15 March 2012 - 10:45 AM, said:

I didn't get into the beta, but according to the Mac forum (and as Janichsan pointed out), people are still seeing quite a few problems and performance issues. I just hope everything is up to Blizzard's usual level of quality control on release date, especially since it is now upon us in less than 2 months.

Reading through a lot of those threads, most people reporting problems are playing on MacBook Pro's.

I don't know if anyone read my Diablo 3 Beta impressions but I feel the game is very polished and I encountered no bugs or performance issues over the course of about 15 hours of gameplay. That was on my iMac though, no MBP to test. Also that article was written before the last beta update which did change some skill things around, but other than that not much was altered.

I for one believe the game will be out just fine by May 15th.

#74 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Steam Name:HulkPunchedThor

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

View PostWumpus, on 15 March 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

I don't know if anyone read my Diablo 3 Beta impressions but I feel the game is very polished and I encountered no bugs or performance issues over the course of about 15 hours of gameplay. That was on my iMac though, no MBP to test. Also that article was written before the last beta update which did change some skill things around, but other than that not much was altered.

I for one believe the game will be out just fine by May 15th.

I once read somewhere that people posting on official game forums (for any game) are usually the vocal minority of a game's overall playerbase. The number of negative threads regarding performance issues for D3 on Mac might seem high, but who knows how many people overall are really having problems?

I agree with Wumpus that things will probably be fine come launch day. I've never seen a game work perfectly for everyone, but I doubt a company with a reputation like Blizzard's would simply ignore something if it was going to affect a lot of its players.

The only reason my tinfoil hat is on is because I game on a MacBook Pro.

#75 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1203 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

DIABLO® III MAY 15

Battle.net® presales for the hottest game of 2012 NOW LIVE

World of Warcraft® Annual Pass Promotion Ends May 1

IRVINE, Calif. -- March 15, 2012 -- The end is nigh! Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that Diablo® III,  the next chapter in its critically acclaimed action role-playing game  series, will be unleashed from the Burning Hells on May 15.

Starting that day, gamers with a thirst for fast-paced action and adventure will be able to purchase Diablo III  at retailers throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, South Korea,  Southeast Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and the regions of Taiwan, Hong  Kong, and Macau. In addition, gamers in the regions above as well as in  Mexico, Argentina, Chile, and Brazil will be able to buy Diablo III digitally via Blizzard’s Battle.net® website.

Players in the listed Latin American countries and in Russia will be able to purchase Diablo III at  local retail locations starting June 7. Digital availability for the  Russian version of the game will also begin June 7. In addition to the  English version, Diablo III will be fully localized into Latin  American Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, European  Spanish, Italian, Polish, Russian, Korean, and Traditional Chinese.

Blizzard also kicked off global digital presales for Diablo III today. Would-be wizards, witch doctors, demon hunters, barbarians, and monks throughout the world should head to http://www.blizzard.com/games/d3/ now to reserve their digital copies.

“After many years of hard work by our development team and months of  beta testing by hundreds of thousands of dedicated players around the  world, we’re now in the homestretch,” said Mike Morhaime, CEO and  cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. “We look forward to putting the  final polish on Diablo III over the next two months and delivering the ultimate action-RPG experience to gamers worldwide starting on May 15.”

Diablo III will be available for Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 and Macintosh®  at a suggested price of $59.99 USD for both the retail DVD-ROM version  and the digital version sold directly from Blizzard. A special  alabaster-white Collector’s Edition, sold exclusively in retail stores  at a suggested retail price of $99.99 USD, will include the full game on  DVD-ROM, a behind-the-scenes Blu-ray/DVD two-disc set, the Diablo III soundtrack CD, a 208-page Art of Diablo III book, and a 4 GB USB soulstone (including full versions of Diablo II and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction®) and corresponding Diablo skull base, as well as exclusive in-game content for Diablo III, World of Warcraft®, and StarCraft® II: Wings of Liberty®. Diablo III has received a Mature rating from the ESRB.

World of Warcraft players interested in getting Diablo III free are encouraged to join the more than 1 million players who have already signed up for the World of Warcraft Annual Pass.* Through this promotion, with a 1-year commitment to World of Warcraft, players will receive a free digital copy of Diablo III -- which they’ll be able to start playing immediately on May 15 -- as well as an exclusive World of Warcraft in-game mount and access to the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria beta test. This offer will no longer be available as of 12:01 a.m. PDT on May 1. Learn more at http://www.worldofwa....com/annualpass.

In Diablo III, players take on the role of one of five  heroic characters -- barbarian, witch doctor, wizard, monk, or demon  hunter -- and engage in pulse-pounding combat with endless legions of  evil. As they undertake an epic quest to rid Sanctuary from the  corrupting forces of the Burning Hells, players will explore diverse and  perilous settings, grow in experience and ability, acquire artifacts of  incredible power, and meet key characters who’ll join them in battle or  aid them in other ways.

Diablo III was built from the ground up to leverage the full  functionality of the Battle.net platform, which delivers powerful  matchmaking and communication tools, allowing adventurers to seamlessly  join forces for exciting cooperative play. Battle.net also provides a  secure infrastructure for the Diablo III auction house, a  feature-rich marketplace that Sanctuary’s heroes can use to trade their  hard-earned treasures. Players will be able to buy and sell weapons,  armor, and other valuable items in the auction house in exchange for  in-game gold. Players will also have the option to receive real-world  currency for auction house sales, which they can apply to their  Battle.net Balance for the purchase of a variety of digital products  through Battle.net, including Diablo III auction house items, or cash out through a third-party payment service such as PayPal in most regions. Further details related to the auction house will be announced in the coming weeks.

For more information on Diablo III, please visit the official website at http://www.diablo3.com.  To set up a Battle.net account and to opt-in to Blizzard Entertainment  beta tests, please visit the official Battle.net website at http://www.battle.net. With multiple games in development, Blizzard Entertainment has numerous positions currently available -- visit http://jobs.blizzard.com for more information and to learn how to apply.

*Based on internal company records.
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#76 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Don't want to rain on your parade, but this is in the wrong category (its an RPG, not action/shooter) and there's already a "All things Diablo 3" thread where the release date is being discussed.

#77 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1743 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

What's with the Pre-Order now stuff?

Order Placed: 24 Aug 2010
Amazon.co.uk order number: xxx
Order Total: £22.97

Not Yet Dispatched

Items Ordered Price
1 of: Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD)
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
£22.97

#78 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15757 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 15 March 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

DIABLO® III MAY 15

Battle.net® presales for the hottest game of 2012 NOW LIVE

World of Warcraft® Annual Pass Promotion Ends May 1

This is a duplicate thread.  Rather than delete or lock your hard work I'm going to merge it into the existing thread in the RPG section of the forums.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#79 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1203 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostHansi, on 15 March 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

What's with the Pre-Order now stuff?

Order Placed: 24 Aug 2010
Amazon.co.uk order number: xxx
Order Total: £22.97

Not Yet Dispatched

Items Ordered Price
1 of: Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD)
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
£22.97

It's $59.99 even on Amazon here in the US... dang!!

#80 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1743 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Well it's going for £32.97 now. But I guess there is some bonus for ordering 22 months before release.

What is in the Collector's Edition?