#221 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:13 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 25 June 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Yeah, I agree, unimaginative villains. I suppose most computer games have this problem, but the more villains you have in one game, the more annoying it is. At least make one insane, one cunning, one mindless but inexorable, one greedy, and so on.

-----

I know I'm asking a lot from this type of game. But I do think they could have set the bar a little higher.

End rant.

Blizzard themselves admit they aimed no higher than pulp fiction level. But yeah. We get these grandstanding villains everywhere. James Bond movies are full of them *sigh*. Oh for something different!

View Postdojoboy, on 26 June 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Have you guys spent any real money in the auction house?

No way.

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 26 June 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

And more importantly, has anyone earned something yet?

I'm trying with 2 legendaries from my collection but no takers so far. My Magefist gloves with just about best quality stats and a level 55 sword with the best stats available as well.

View PostHansi, on 27 June 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

Agreed, I finished Normal and the first two acts of Hell and I'm pretty much just done with the game for now.

I'll maybe revisit it sometime around Christmas when someone has time for LAN parties etc (are we still allowed to have those this close to 30 yo?  :happy: )

Grinding for the sake of grinding is just not fun.

What keeps me going is that I *just know* that better gear awaits me. Just a matter of time. Took me MANY YEARS in Diablo II to acquire only a few pieces of uber gear, not counting the sets which I mostly found to be meh. In Diablo III it doesn't take years. We have the AH now. Good for time poor people like me.

#222 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 27 June 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

I see it as quite a bad thing, that you have to reach inferno in order to have max fun... 90% of players probably wont do that ever.
I think that's very individual. I had lots of fun in each difficulty, its just not truly challenging until you hit inferno. And rolling with 3 other players brings a lot of epic moments.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#223 DurandalTycho

DurandalTycho

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

I just got it and it's much better than D2 IMO, though I haven't played it in a loooong time.  BTW got some free guest passes my battletag is wolf1re#1291.

XGX8K8-Z9BR-Z6WEGY-KPT9-XX2H68
FW7GVT-NX4B-4JWBCZ-8XRN-ETPVH2

Have fun ;)

#224 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

With 1.04 due out soon it will be real interesting to see the balance changes and the high end gear "affixes" updates.

Now that player profiles are online and nothing is hidden it is interesting to see that, from a random selection at least by me, some of the players who are constantly complaining on the Blizzard forums about having spent many hours doing this or that and being stuck in Inferno Act 1 or wherever have been a little less truthful. They clearly expect uber gear to drop fairly instantly for little effort.

It points to one key thing: Diablo has always been about grinding and the same players have mistakenly thought that the grinding wouldn't be so grindy.

Which brings me to my main point. Back in the day Mac players didn't have much in terms of replayable action or rpg games to play. With the amazing titles available on OSX, boot camped Macs, iOS, PS3, XBox, NDSi, Wii, Android (we have most of these at home) I cannot sustain the Diablo III grind.

Now I am not a typical Diablo III whinger. But if I can't sustain the commitment (and I am a Diablo fanatic) then it points to a major mistake by Blizzard in positioning their latest product in this era.

How should we define "grind" and implement grind in this day and age?

#225 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Patch is live. Go get it, kids!
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#226 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

This was a good excuse for me to play it some more. I quickly got bored with SP after my first (Normal) run, but having taken a few weeks off I'm enjoying it again, at least for now.

The rebalancing changes get the most press but my favorite features of the patch are little things: gems and pages now display in light blue; blacksmith can now repair (not only convenient for players, but it was frankly weird that the blacksmith could make new gear but not repair old gear); random follower dialog is triggered less often (though I haven't noticed much difference in practice.)
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#227 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

Right there with you, Matt. I came THIS close to uninstalling after one playthrough on Normal, but now I'm hooked again in Nightmare with same char (DH). I also like the little changes. Still haven't played co-op, mainly because a) my schedule is limited b) I have no friends.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#228 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3779 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

I'm glad that I waited with getting that game.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#229 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3779 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

So, I just borrowed the game from my brother.. :P

First thing: Why do I have a shared stash with all of his characters? That is an incredibly stupid move.. Why would I want to create a new character and then cheat?

Other thoughts:
• Absolutely gorgeously looking. Probably one of the most beautiful games I've played. LOVE the style they have created.
• Why the snizzlepop do I have to have a 1 second delay on all clicks and drops? I absolutely hate DRM... >_<
• So far I like the story, but then again I'm not that far.
• Skill user interface is horribly confusing, and not explained at all. Not very Blizzard'ish at all.
• Love how I can kill chickens and they bounce around. ^_^
• Way too easy.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#230 uff0

uff0

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

You did the right choice to wait playing the game, as it was horribly balanced at release, and lacked many features that are now in the game. As far as the story goes, don't get your hopes up. It's incredibly cheesy, and just very bad overall. And yes, the game is way too easy, especially until you reach Inferno. What you can do is increase the monster power when you go into the game, that will make the monsters a bit harder to kill, while givning you more experience.

#231 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3779 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:42 AM

Good idea with the monster power - Does it also improve drops and exp? Almost done with act one I think and Ive drunk one single healing potion...

I dont mind a cliche story - Thats not why I play Diablo games - I mean, I already know how it ends with a Diablo fight, right? :P (And no spoilers if it doesnt!)

#232 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

I love the inclusion of Leah. Freshens the game somewhat.

I have stopped playing D3. With D2 I played for years and years and years before even thinking of stopping.

What went wrong, for me?

(1) The gear drops are way too cruel in D3 for the type of gear (affixes/attributes I am meaning) being dropped.
(2) In Inferno, the combination of abilities of some mob packs mean that you must play a very unforgiving elite style of play to have a hope of overpowering them. D2 was never about being a player at the cutting edge of elite superstardom as a player. In D2, if undergeared you surely had to play smart but not like a world champion. In D3 at times you must never make a mistake and even when played perfectly I was left wondering that my gear was already pretty good but how on earth could I ever afford the real dollars to gear up so I had a chance.

I believe the game has been patched maybe twice since I last played. I will return. No doubt about that. I need to hear the voices urging me to "come back, Blizzard fixed things, it will be fun again".

#233 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

I got around to playing the trial version of D3 last night. My thoughts:

- It's addictive. My 5+ straight hours of play on 3 different characters attests to that. I will probably be getting the full game.

- The art style is well done. I remember when the game was in production and the first few screenshots came out, and the sort of people who complain online about prerelease screenshots were up in arms over it looking too bright and cheerful. That seems even funnier now then it was then, because the opening areas that I played through were gloomy and creepy as hell. If anything, they've amped up the horror vibe over D2.

- Tristram cathedral disappointed me. I was hoping before I entered for it to be a nostalgic throwback to the opening levels of Diablo 1. Instead, it feels almost exactly like the second area of Torchlight, which had a good aesthetic, but not a Diablo aesthetic. Seems out of place, and a missed opportunity.

- Why on earth are there so many dead townspeople in the cathedral? Wouldn't they all try to stay the hell away from the place after the events of D1??

- I've always enjoyed Diablo games as a singleplayer experience. This still feels like just as much fun played singleplayer as the previous titles, but it feels very weird to me that you share things like your gold and your craftsman levels across characters. I understand the convenience of that for a power gamer, but for me it just breaks immersion.

- I like the audio lore clips that pop up to provide background fluff for each new monster you meet, really nice touch.

- No conclusive thought in the skill system yet. I like the fundamental structure of it, the idea that as you go along you not only unlock new skills but also a number of variations on skills you already have. The fact that you can freely swap between all of these is very weird, though. Seems like it would completely kill replayability, beyond trying out one character of each class.

- They went to all this trouble to try to differentiate characters by giving them these different resource systems for their spells. Does it ever actually matter? It just felt like I could pretty much spam whatever I wanted with any character.

- The Barbarian feels waaaay more powerful in the early going than the either the Wizard or the Witch Doctor. And WD felt easily the weakest out of those three.

- Always enjoyed playing caster characters before, and I like the Wizard's spells, but damn is he an obnoxious dick in all his dialogue with the NPCs. Don't think I can stand to play him all the way through as my first character, when I'll actually be paying attention to the story.

- It's really bizarre and disturbing, as a Barbarian, to have an inventory full of torsos. And to sell them all when I get back to town.

#234 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

Feeling nostalgic already for playing D3 again. Apparently tons of changes since I last played.

--------

I've commented before about the brutality of Inferno mode but I wish to add this:

Sure Inferno mode is meant to be really difficult. Okay. But if I do beat a really difficult pack with tough affixes then I would like some very good rewards. I am hopeful that the latest patches answer my hopes.

(And to anyone who says that Inferno is not difficult at all and I should learn to play... wait no, we don't get trash posts like that on these forums thankfully lol)

---------

View Postbadger2d, on 06 July 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

- The art style is well done. I remember when the game was in production and the first few screenshots came out, and the sort of people who complain online about prerelease screenshots were up in arms over it looking too bright and cheerful. That seems even funnier now then it was then, because the opening areas that I played through were gloomy and creepy as hell. If anything, they've amped up the horror vibe over D2.

Hehehehehe... just wait and see. Blizzard have this massive troll on all those people who complained that the palette wasn't grey/earthy enough etc. Think bright pink and purple and rainbows. Yup, it is in the game somewhere. I swear I almost wet myself with laughter when I saw it for the first time. Those same players were really angry at Blizzard's arrogance too.

- I've always enjoyed Diablo games as a singleplayer experience. This still feels like just as much fun played singleplayer as the previous titles, but it feels very weird to me that you share things like your gold and your craftsman levels across characters. I understand the convenience of that for a power gamer, but for me it just breaks immersion.

To follow up a post about shared stash. Plus one other post in April too. In my opinion it is a very good idea. The alternative was to have two copies of the game on two computers and to do some deft file juggling in order to be able to pass gear between my characters (in Diablo II). And heaven help if I make a mistake - I did once and I lost my best character and some very nice Elite gear (I think it was called - gold coloured names).

Sure the stash could be bigger (even after expanding in-game)

- No conclusive thought in the skill system yet. I like the fundamental structure of it, the idea that as you go along you not only unlock new skills but also a number of variations on skills you already have. The fact that you can freely swap between all of these is very weird, though. Seems like it would completely kill replayability, beyond trying out one character of each class.

So many people accuse D3 of having no flexibility or real choice for skills and all this other rubbish. While I don't agree 100% with you on replayability I am glad you noticed the total freedom of combining your abilities together. Skill trees are so 1980's.

#235 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Re: skill system, I recognize that I have the sort of contradictory feelings that really add up to mean that it's a fresh enough idea that I haven't grokked it yet.

Time will tell how I feel about the actual replayability of the game or any of the other speculations I've had based on demo content. I hemmed and hawed over it for a couple days, with criticisms coming more to the fore in my mind as time passed. Then I decided that it was overall interesting enough to take the plunge. I'll check back in with updates on my thoughts when I have them.

#236 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

View Postcleansanchez, on 08 July 2013 - 05:24 AM, said:

So many people accuse D3 of having no flexibility or real choice for skills and all this other rubbish. While I don't agree 100% with you on replayability I am glad you noticed the total freedom of combining your abilities together. Skill trees are so 1980's.

Torchlight 2 would like to speak with you.  

Skill Trees.  

Better than Diablo 3 on its worst day.

#237 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 09 July 2013 - 12:52 AM, said:

Torchlight 2 would like to speak with you.  

And I wouldn't mind a word with Torchlight 2. Too bad the Mac version is MIA.

#238 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2171 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Given the rather pitiful sales of TL1 for Mac (IIRC, they said less than 30,000 copies, despite just about every Mac under the sun being able to run it), i cannot blame Runic for putting a Mac version on the back burner, or cancelling it altogether.  You own an intel-based machine, there are plenty of ways to play TL2.  Or, also, Path of Exile.. also better than Diablo 3 could hope to be.

#239 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

I have lived through every phase of Mac gaming that has ever existed, and am well-versed in the economics of it. 30,000 isn't peanuts, and the port was probably profitable. But the usual opportunity cost argument is that they could have been making more profit elsewhere with the same effort.

I am sympathetic to that argument, and indeed to most reasons that companies decide not to develop Mac-native ports. My complaint would be they should have made that decision before announcing there'd be Mac version, released simultaneously.

(I also suspect 30K isn't the full picture. Some of those sales are fluid-- if the Mac version of TL1 had come out first some of those sales would have ended up in the Mac column. That doesn't change the economics of the Mac port of course; I just object in principle to all sales in the cross-platform-player bucket being counted as PC sales. :-) )

#240 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

I thought TL2 used the same engine as TL1, which makes the delay rather odd since most of the work would already be done.

--Eric