255 replies to this topic

#1 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:52 PM

Putting a feeler out there for Diablo III. When I came onto these forums almost 10 years ago I was right into Diablo II. Still am. Really excited about Diablo III obviously. Sure there's a handful of fanatics like me but DIII will have to appeal to a brand new market.

The upcoming Blizzcon promises something very big for Diablo. Clearly it will be the focus. I suspect lucky ticket holders will be able to play much of it there, like a pre-beta rollout. Wish I could be there.

The class mix in DIII is interesting. Which character to roll first? The Barbarian and his Whirlwind strike right at the essence that is Diablo. But the Witch Doctor and Monk also promise to be real fun too. The Demon Hunter fo me was unexpected and his piqued my interest and the Wizard is quite spectacular. I absolutely cannot decide.

#2 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

Legendary

• IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

View Postcleansanchez, on 26 May 2011 - 04:52 PM, said:

The class mix in DIII is interesting. Which character to roll first? The Barbarian and his Whirlwind strike right at the essence that is Diablo. But the Witch Doctor and Monk also promise to be real fun too. The Demon Hunter fo me was unexpected and his piqued my interest and the Wizard is quite spectacular. I absolutely cannot decide.

I find the class mix the most disappointing thing (obviously, with the majopr disclaimer of having not played yet!)--It just seems so Generick Fantasye. But it looks like Blizzard is going all-out on customizing and "after-market" tweaking. I'm hoping that there won't be the skill/spell celing at level 30 like D2... I"d love for new skills to keep opening at level 45, 60, 90, etc.  And it seems that if they aren't doing that they are doing the next best thing with the customizing (like the rune stones thing--looks VERY Cool!).

In any event, I'm not holding my breath.

#3 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3062 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:02 AM

I lost interest a year ago. I've been a hardcore Diablo I and II fan, but announcing a game 3+ years before release is just.. And the fact that the game has turned itself into Diablo II with a new look, isn't really that exciting.

And I agree with the class mix being disappointing. Why can't I have just one classic warrior type? Why do they all have to be weird flashy characters? Its as if they decided on the characters based on what would be coolest, if you had to write a book about them..
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7198 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

I stopped really following any Diablo III coverage to avoid becoming fed up with the game before it's actually released. But I did the same with Starcraft II and  when that finally came out, I was more like "Meh, it's still soon enough to play it when the price finally drops" – which it still hasn't yet.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • Steam Name:Mister Mumbles

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:32 AM

I wouldn't count on SC2 really dropping in price until Heart of the Swarm hits, at the very earliest. Even then I doubt it'll drop by much.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7198 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:58 AM

View PostMister Mumbles, on 27 May 2011 - 02:32 AM, said:

I wouldn't count on SC2 really dropping in price until Heart of the Swarm hits, at the very earliest. Even then I doubt it'll drop by much.
There will be the day when the complete SC2 trilogy will be available for 10 €. Probably around 2047...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3839 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:24 AM

I'm with Thain Esh Kelch on this one.

Huge DI and DII/LoD fan. Huge. Played those games more than any game I've owned on any Mac/Apple system except for the CMBO series. The interminably long wait for DIII has bored me of the title, and I'm still not convinced it'll see the light of day until early 2012 despite what some say. Got my dungeon crawl fix with Torchlight and finished that several times and can't really get past the "Meh" stage with the new DIII. I mean, sure, it looks great, but it's basically the same game yet again to my mind.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a small hamlet to finish capturing with an under-strength infantry company without mortar or MG support, but with a brilliant left flanking maneuver.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#8 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3062 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

Diablo I was better than Diablo II, and Diablo III looks to be more of Diablo II, so why would I be interested in the new edition? The surface areas are the same in each game, more or less, and new looking areas was one of the things I was looking forward to.

I would have loved the dungeons, if it wasn't for the lack of the great music from Diablo I, and the dark feel..
"They're everywhere!"

#9 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

There is no doubt that DIII is building upon the success of DII. They just had to include a warrior and they did.

Blizz also has to move forward more than 10 years and look at today's computing power. Updating the graphics was always going to be controversial and the ability to use a richer palatte met with initial stubborn resistance when hard core players feared it would look like WoW. Proven wrong but the debate was acrimonius to the end.

And the epic fails of DII such as the ability to grief PvP has resulted in a sterilised arena system for DIII.

The spell effects and cool battle mechanics, especially when partying are a nod to today's computing power and enough to get fans salivating.

#10 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 27 May 2011 - 01:02 AM, said:

I lost interest a year ago. I've been a hardcore Diablo I and II fan, but announcing a game 3+ years before release is just.. And the fact that the game has turned itself into Diablo II with a new look, isn't really that exciting.

And I agree with the class mix being disappointing. Why can't I have just one classic warrior type? Why do they all have to be weird flashy characters? Its as if they decided on the characters based on what would be coolest, if you had to write a book about them..

Funny quote about the loooong announce-to-release duration, from an article actually written 3 years ago (bold added by me):

IGN said:

So why announce Diablo now? We still don't have release dates for StarCraft II or World of Warcraft's Wrath of the Lich King expansion, which many were speculating would be announced at WWI, so why bring another high profile product into the public with yet another nebulous release date? "The announcement of our projects is usually when it's time for that game to be announced," said Pardo. "This project has been going for a while and it finally got to the point where it felt like it's time to announce the game. We kind of have this rule of, ideally, we announce a game a year to a year and a half before the game comes out. That's our theory, and then three years later [trails off]. We're getting to be a bigger and bigger studio so we can't just keep one game announced and everything else hidden. We have several games in development now.

#11 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:51 AM

There's no way I'd pass up getting a copy of Diablo III.
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3520 2.66GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#12 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3062 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:46 AM

I'll personally wait until it costs 10$. Yeah, I can wait.
"They're everywhere!"

#13 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • Steam Name:Mister Mumbles

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:19 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 03 June 2011 - 06:46 AM, said:

I'll personally wait until it costs 10$. Yeah, I can wait.
*ten years later* ;)
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#14 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3062 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:46 AM

View PostMister Mumbles, on 04 June 2011 - 12:19 AM, said:

*ten years later* ;)
I expect that. But I havent really been playing much the last couple of years, so there are many games waiting me to be played in the mean time.. ;)
"They're everywhere!"

#15 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:12 AM

Amazon still have D3 pre-order for £26.91 which is a pretty good price. Personally I pre-ordered ages ago and then put it out of my mind - I'm not really interested in the updates etc and will see what we get at the end of the day :)

#16 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

I got my wife into gaming with D2, so we're definitely going to be playing D3 together.  Whenever it's ready.

#17 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:52 AM

If I lived in the USA I'd surely be at Blizzcon. The main focus will be Diablo III I believe.

#18 Thilandor

Thilandor

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:24 PM

Alright, getting close to August 3rd, which has been speculated as a potential beta announcement date, everyone registered on battle.net and opted in to be a beta tester?  If someone on here is lucky enough to get into beta perhaps they will be nice enough to answer some of our questions, since an NDA is not likely (Blizzard hasn't bothered with them on recent betas)?

Cheers, and good luck!

#19 Monkeypox

Monkeypox

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

I'll get it when it's ready. I agree DI was the best, but DII was lots of fun as well. Just fired up DII again as a matter of fact.  :)

#20 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2699 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

I'm not gonna judge the game before it comes out as to whether i'm gonna get it or not. I do know that blizzard makes great games though, so I have very high expectations for DIII
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odinheim - Core i3 4150 @ 3.5 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64