23 replies to this topic

#1 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

I've gotta say it looks absolutely amazing! One of the prime motivators for me getting a job and getting a new iMac at the moment :) Will anybody be lucky enough to start playing this week?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

Late 2012 iMac 27" Corei7 3.4ghz GTX 680 MX 8gb RAM 3tb FusionDrive
Now Playing: Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

I'll be playing it on my hackintosh on Tuesday. I hope to god I can *stop* playing, though, because after that I have papers to write...

#3 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:43 AM

I have it pre-ordered with Amazon. Hopefully, will get here tomorrow. I predict many late nights at work.
Work: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Vista64
Home: MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon/8GB RAM/ATI HD4870,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Vista64

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#4 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

Ok, so now I feel like a complete nerd. The game box (just the regular edition, mind you) comes with wall-sized maps, a full game guide, a bonus DVD of God knows what extras, an audio CD with the "official game soundtrack," plus 2 full install DVDs and more random dweeby parchments.
I just want to play the game, not become a member of the cult.
Work: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/16GB RAM/ATI HD5770,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Vista64
Home: MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon/8GB RAM/ATI HD4870,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Vista64

Beach: iMac 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo-boost to 3.9GHz/16GB RAM/GeForce GTX 780M 4GB

#5 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1968 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

I am... heartily upset at the grossly dumbed down consolized gameplay.  It is nowhere near as engaging or heroic feeling as the first game, and it feels l ike a TERRIBLE console port.  

I cant even find a way to remap the awkward controls... at all.  

And.. quicktime events?  Really?  Im rapidly losing any desire i had to play it at all.

#6 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1739 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:47 AM

I haven't had time to play number 2 but how long since you played the original? In my memory it was overly consolified but still enjoyable.

#7 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1968 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

View PostHansi, on 18 May 2011 - 01:47 AM, said:

I haven't had time to play number 2 but how long since you played the original? In my memory it was overly consolified but still enjoyable.

Im re-playing it right now.  It was definitely *not* consolized unless you chose that control scheme.  In 2 theres no way to change the controls at all and they feel like they are made for a controller

#8 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 17 May 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

I am... heartily upset at the grossly dumbed down consolized gameplay.  It is nowhere near as engaging or heroic feeling as the first game, and it feels l ike a TERRIBLE console port.  

I cant even find a way to remap the awkward controls... at all.  

And.. quicktime events?  Really?  Im rapidly losing any desire i had to play it at all.

You're making me cry. I haven't had time to start yet, but I loved the first game. Please tell me the story is still good.

#9 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1968 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

View Postjgwdoc, on 18 May 2011 - 09:18 AM, said:

You're making me cry. I haven't had time to start yet, but I loved the first game. Please tell me the story is still good.

honestly i couldn't tell; after "reload last save" about 50 times from a stupid quicktime event (very early in the game) i couldn't even tell you, since i havent experienced enough of it.  

Companies need to stop trying to reinvent the wheel.  They took everything that made the first game unique and just crapped it away to try to meet console-mass-market-expectations, and so far, it is pure, undiluted fail.

#10 Ichigo27

Ichigo27

NSFW o_O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2199 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 18 May 2011 - 09:40 AM, said:

They took everything that made the first game unique and just crapped it away to try to meet console-mass-market-expectations, and so far, it is pure, undiluted fail.

Combat wise or quest wise? I heard that the devs mentioned making the quests more accessible. So your basically saying that the game doesn't really have any challenge?

Plus, what about the games performance? Does it run faster then the first?
What is a man?

#11 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

There is a launcher screen that lets you select video and keyboard settings. You can remap your keys there. I think the button is named "Change Inputs" or something equally uninformative.

But I must agree the battle at the bridge during the prologue is a frustrating way to introduce you to the game. I'm not sure why devs do this. Reminds me of the very first quest in Oblivion in which you had to scour the castle for clues to a mystery. I almost deleted the game in frustration because I didn't understand what I was supposed to do. Much later I did some searching on the Web, found a walkthrough, finished the quest, and then went to sink about 100 hours into the game. During which I never encountered a quest that was as difficult. Sigh.

In any event, some ppl on Gamespot forum are complaining of performance problems. Definitely turn off Ubersampling.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#12 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7162 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:54 AM

At least the game seems to have a nice sense of sarcastic humor...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#13 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:05 AM

I'm not sure why Tetsuya thinks this game is "consolized." It's one of most "PC-like" RPG to hit the market in a very long time. The game supports the XBOX 360 controller out of the box (they'll be porting the game to consoles eventually) and so the interface is designed to work well with both the controller and the mouse.

Not thrilled about the QTE's either, but they aren't that frequent. If you don't like the more difficult ones, there's the option to disable them in gameplay settings.

I'm playing (mostly) on hard, and the combat is very, very challenging. Much more tactical than the first game, and it requires everything you've got to succeed--potions, signs, swordplay. Use it all. If anything, the game has gotten more complex, not less. (Too early to say whether the plot is also complex, but so far it's got my attention.)

I agree that the Prologue was an awful way to introduce you to the game. Exciting, yes, but it needed some tutorial levels in the base camp before throwing you out there. Took me a few hours before I realized there was a parry button.

it's the most beautiful game I've played. Simply drop-dead gorgeous--and not simply technically, artistically as well. The detail to the world is truly breathtaking to the point where every bit of the world--even forest areas--feel unique. No cookie-cutter elements that plague most large RPGs.Running flawlessly on my hackintosh w/ a 5850, most things maxed except for ubersampling (I don't think there are any single graphics cards on the market that can handle this setting.)

#14 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

Now that I've played a few hours, my initial vote is with Cougar. I agree that the key binding aspect is annoying, but the only inputs I've been unable to remap are the movement keys (I hate the diagonal WASD structure, but it won't accept any rectangular alternative pattern). The combat is rather good once you get used to it, and difficult (at least on Hard), which is a real change after DA2. And the dialogue is great. I actually feel like I'm having adult conversations. Not to mention that the graphics are superb. We'll see how the game progresses, but so far I'm not disgusted,the way I was with DA2.

#15 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1968 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

what i was talking about is the consolized controls:

you dont get to move the mouse separately from your view/look, and you HAVE to use the keyboard to move.  I played The Witcher with the mouse, whereas the second one plays like a console game - you only have the one stick to look around with and one to move, and then this is poorly mapped to the keyboard.  

I dont want to have to spin the entire view around so i can try to find loot; i want to just be able to click on it.  And i liked the combat in the first one; it didnt reward mindlessly clickspam, the second one does.  The timing aspect made the game interesting, and the new clickspam model is boring and derivative.

#16 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

It is possible to edit the game files and obtain whatever key mapping you prefer:
Witcher 2 Key mapping

As to Tetsuya's other complaints: well, yes, but the greater role for parrying adds some flavor to the combat.

#17 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 19 May 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

The timing aspect made the game interesting, and the new clickspam model is boring and derivative.

Couldn't disagree more. The timing aspect of the first game made it boring; you just click when it highlighted. Had to play in hard to get rid of the highlighting, which made it slightly more tolerable. But it was still pretty easy given the audio cue it gives you.
Now, you have to intelligently react to your opponents.

Maybe you should increase the difficulty. If you mindlessly click in this game, you will die, at least under hard.

I played the first Witchier using the WSAD keys + the mouse, so I'm fine with the current scheme. If you played the first one just with the mouse, I could see how it could be frustrating to change.

#18 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1968 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:54 PM

View PostCougar, on 19 May 2011 - 01:23 PM, said:

Couldn't disagree more. The timing aspect of the first game made it boring; you just click when it highlighted. Had to play in hard to get rid of the highlighting, which made it slightly more tolerable. But it was still pretty easy given the audio cue it gives you.
Now, you have to intelligently react to your opponents.

Maybe you should increase the difficulty. If you mindlessly click in this game, you will die, at least under hard.

I played the first Witchier using the WSAD keys + the mouse, so I'm fine with the current scheme. If you played the first one just with the mouse, I could see how it could be frustrating to change.

i find the idea that i should have to play on "hard" to have a remote challenge to be tantamount to the developer slapping me in the face and calling me a newb - I.E. highly insulting.  

I have no idea why you'd want to use a crippled control scheme, i guess. and the WASD controls are very sluggish, in both 1 and 2.  

The fighting - i have no idea what you're talking about.  Fighting intelligently (I.E. dont let the bad guys surround you) has nothing to do with wether or not how you kill enemies - mindlessly clicking to whack them with your sword, throwing in bombs and/or signs on occasion).  There is no interesting mechanic - just click click click click click while trying to keep the myopic camera pointed the way you want it so you dont, in the middle of a clickfest combo, turn and dash at a guy behind you.  

I should feel like im fighting the enemies, not the controls.

#19 Athl

Athl

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:56 AM

After buying The Witcher and then the install disc not working after several attempts and having to download the game illegaly to even play AND use my own CD-Key (because I unfortunately enjoy collecting my games and didn't want to return it) I was abit over it I think... I tried for a few hours, but it had been weeks and I'd swapped the disc so many times at the stores I just never really got into it... now Witcher 2 looks stunning, and I'm wondering should I go back and force myself to play The Witcher or just jump straight in?

Cheers!

#20 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

So, I'm giving it a big thumbs-up so far. Yes, the controls are a bit clunky, but I'm not looking for an FPS-type experience. The story is fascinating, the voice acting is really good, the environments are gorgeous, and I can't wait to see what happens next.