Jump to content


Borderlands


  • Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#41 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:47 AM

I'm at level 33 today.  It's only a one shot kill with a headshot, Dahl soldiers are an exception.  But still, I can walk through Old Haven with my +3 static pistol and be the murderous SoB they wake up sweaty dreaming about.

Speaking of Old Haven, there is a guy trapped in a building there.  It is like a clipping error or something, I can only see his head or maybe an hand or an arm or a leg clipped through the wall.  This building is somewhat in a straight line from the street you walk down when first arriving, about halfway across the map.  He can't shoot but you can shoot him if you wait until enough is sticking out.  Anybody else see this guy?  He is there every time for me.  He is shouts a lot and I can see him as an enemy on my heads up display.

PS:  I had no idea that eyeballs were so bouncy.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#42 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

    Eye Sea Yew

  • Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Location:East mahn, East!
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 04 May 2011 - 09:44 PM, said:

the Eridian weapons eventually become unusable (post level 50/second playthrough) because they just dont do enough damage, but they are fun to play with on Playthrough 1.
Unless there are some nice rare finds... I have to agree with the above statement. Never found one that was useful past mid-game playthrough 1.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester


#43 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

There is a side=quest that sends you into Old Haven to kill a guy that is in a building; you have to do something to trigger the wall opening or something.  I cant remember exactly what, it's been quite a while.

#44 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 05 May 2011 - 04:25 PM, said:

There is a side=quest that sends you into Old Haven to kill a guy that is in a building; you have to do something to trigger the wall opening or something.  I cant remember exactly what, it's been quite a while.
Ah, OK thanks.  Well I've killed him half a dozen times through the wall via his clipping error.  Hopefully I can get the quest and make an honest corpse of him.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#45 Breadfan

Breadfan

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Steam Name:Breadfan
  • Location:At the Vendor

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

Except for Marathon, I haven't heard the Battle Cat cough up such honest enthusiasm...and based on that I went with the GOTY.

I'm no damn good at FPSs, but I rolled with Mordecai The Hunter, I'm up the Level 13....having a blast.

Thanks tBC!
My dad is Black Elvis and I am the Robot Devil

Pints are just too perfect to change. 0.5 litres is too little and 1 litre is too much.--divadsci (from reddit)

#46 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:17 AM

You are welcome.  Isn't this just a great game?  Somebody in charge with a big hat went through this game during development removing all the un-fun things.  I just love the sandbox feel via the openness to roam over vast tracks of land, revisiting fights and exploring.  Finding a quest location in this vastness is simple using the map, there it is with a big diamond on your map.  Want to jump halfway around the world to turn in a quest?  Quick travel there in moments.

The humor speaks to me on a deeper level than I suppose it would to some, humor is very basic to my nature and part of the way I communicate.  The humor in this game ranges from gruesome, to cerebral, to tongue-in-cheek, to delicious irony.  The humor helps compact the fun into a critical mass of enjoyment.  I'll be playing this game for quite a while.  There is still so much to learn about the ins and outs of it.  For instance I've started keeping a calculator by the computer so I can multiply bullet damage to rate of fire then divide the product by the accuracy to get a good picture of the basic power of a weapon.

The scenery is awesome and the landscapes and surface features are absolutely epic in scope and nature.  After a while you forget you are in a comic-book-cell-artwork world and the art becomes as real as anything else you deal with on a daily basis.

Rifles are supposed to be one of my favored weapons in the game but I haven't found a rifle I liked yet even at level 34.  I used a rifle once during the zombie mission, as a quick way to get lots of headshots on zombie hordes.  A Battle Pounder I think.  Good accuracy, low power, single shot, small magazine.  But it was the perfect tool for removing and collecting zombie brains.  Not much good in a firefight though.  I stick to pistols and sniper rifles and fall back on machine guns and shotguns.  Haven't used an SMG for some time but I did have one that replaced my need for a machine gun for quite a while.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#47 Breadfan

Breadfan

    Fanatic

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Steam Name:Breadfan
  • Location:At the Vendor

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

"After a while you forget you are in a comic-book-cell-artwork world and the art becomes as real as anything else you deal with on a daily basis."

Yeah--the art director should have some trophies on his wall. (Later this week--May 18--we're doing the Canadian Video Game Awards...I know this game is older, but being a macman--wow!)
My dad is Black Elvis and I am the Robot Devil

Pints are just too perfect to change. 0.5 litres is too little and 1 litre is too much.--divadsci (from reddit)

#48 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 07 May 2011 - 09:17 AM, said:

You are welcome.  Isn't this just a great game?  Somebody in charge with a big hat went through this game during development removing all the un-fun things.  I just love the sandbox feel via the openness to roam over vast tracks of land, revisiting fights and exploring.  Finding a quest location in this vastness is simple using the map, there it is with a big diamond on your map.  Want to jump halfway around the world to turn in a quest?  Quick travel there in moments.

The humor speaks to me on a deeper level than I suppose it would to some, humor is very basic to my nature and part of the way I communicate.  The humor in this game ranges from gruesome, to cerebral, to tongue-in-cheek, to delicious irony.  The humor helps compact the fun into a critical mass of enjoyment.  I'll be playing this game for quite a while.  There is still so much to learn about the ins and outs of it.  For instance I've started keeping a calculator by the computer so I can multiply bullet damage to rate of fire then divide the product by the accuracy to get a good picture of the basic power of a weapon.

The scenery is awesome and the landscapes and surface features are absolutely epic in scope and nature.  After a while you forget you are in a comic-book-cell-artwork world and the art becomes as real as anything else you deal with on a daily basis.

Rifles are supposed to be one of my favored weapons in the game but I haven't found a rifle I liked yet even at level 34.  I used a rifle once during the zombie mission, as a quick way to get lots of headshots on zombie hordes.  A Battle Pounder I think.  Good accuracy, low power, single shot, small magazine.  But it was the perfect tool for removing and collecting zombie brains.  Not much good in a firefight though.  I stick to pistols and sniper rifles and fall back on machine guns and shotguns.  Haven't used an SMG for some time but I did have one that replaced my need for a machine gun for quite a while.

I didn't find a good combat rifle until higher levels either; what you really want is one that is fully auto and not burst-fire or semi-auto, that has a scope, a large magazine, and high accuracy (above 80).  They aren't that common, unfortunately, but when you get one, they are pure death.

#49 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

I'm at Tartus Station now fighting the Robolution, tons of rifles and shotguns are being dropped but nothing worth picking up yet.  I'm surprised that this machine gun of mine is more accurate than most of the rifles I'm finding.  I must have a doozy.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#50 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:41 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 08 May 2011 - 10:04 AM, said:

I'm at Tartus Station now fighting the Robolution, tons of rifles and shotguns are being dropped but nothing worth picking up yet.  I'm surprised that this machine gun of mine is more accurate than most of the rifles I'm finding.  I must have a doozy.

Did you already do General Knoxx's?  

If so, you missed a potentially good "glitch" (i use the quotes because its been 4 patches, the developers certainly know about it, and haven't even bothered to try to fix it) that allows you to loot the entire armory without it giving you the 2 minute countdown.  

Although it is better used on a Playthrough 2.5 run where everything is max level.

#51 Mango

Mango

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Canada

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

View PostTetsuya, on 08 May 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

Did you already do General Knoxx's?  

If so, you missed a potentially good "glitch" (i use the quotes because its been 4 patches, the developers certainly know about it, and haven't even bothered to try to fix it) that allows you to loot the entire armory without it giving you the 2 minute countdown.  

Although it is better used on a Playthrough 2.5 run where everything is max level.

Okay, this is a glitch I gotta know about. How's it done?

Also, how the hell to I solo Crawmerax? I get killed every time in 10 seconds or so. I just finished my first playthrough with Mordecai. He's at level 47 and is obviously completely ineffectual against Crawmerax and its spawn. Do I have to do a second playthrough and level up to 60 or more to beat it?

#52 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

View PostMango, on 08 May 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

Also, how the hell to I solo Crawmerax? I get killed every time in 10 seconds or so.
Well, he's called Crawmerax the Invincible for a reason. ;) Your only chance is to try later – much later.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#53 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostMango, on 08 May 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

Okay, this is a glitch I gotta know about. How's it done?

Also, how the hell to I solo Crawmerax? I get killed every time in 10 seconds or so. I just finished my first playthrough with Mordecai. He's at level 47 and is obviously completely ineffectual against Crawmerax and its spawn. Do I have to do a second playthrough and level up to 60 or more to beat it?



its been there since Knoxx was released, Gearbox knows about it, hasn't closed it, almost four patches later.  

I'd say it is intentional, honestly, since it is the only way to find a concentrated pile of loot in a reasonable time frame.

Re: Crawmerax.  I've run the Farmory about a billion times, have really great weapons... i'm level 69 etc..

i've never beat Crawmerax, even in a group.  The Craw Maggots one or two shot me before i can even hurt him, really.  

I've also never seen a single pearlescent drop (ever), and there are probably 20+ of the orange weapons i've never seen.

Random game is random.

#54 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 08 May 2011 - 11:41 AM, said:

Did you already do General Knoxx's?  

If so, you missed a potentially good "glitch" (i use the quotes because its been 4 patches, the developers certainly know about it, and haven't even bothered to try to fix it) that allows you to loot the entire armory without it giving you the 2 minute countdown.  

Although it is better used on a Playthrough 2.5 run where everything is max level.
I haven't finished the game yet.  In the game I've just brought the comm system back online with Dr. Tannis' help.  Did I miss him or is he still ahead?  I thought I'd level up some in the add ons before finishing the game, hence the Robolution.  Thanks for the armory heads up.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#55 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 08 May 2011 - 01:25 PM, said:

I haven't finished the game yet.  In the game I've just brought the comm system back online with Dr. Tannis' help.  Did I miss him or is he still ahead?  I thought I'd level up some in the add ons before finishing the game, hence the Robolution.  Thanks for the armory heads up.

No, Knoxx is a totally separate DLC.  At least on Playthrough 1, you should probably do them in order Vanilla Game > Zombie Island > Mad Moxxi > General Knoxx > Robolution; General Knoxx and Robolution in particular take place after the original game.

#56 Mango

Mango

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Canada

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 08 May 2011 - 01:00 PM, said:


its been there since Knoxx was released, Gearbox knows about it, hasn't closed it, almost four patches later.  

I'd say it is intentional, honestly, since it is the only way to find a concentrated pile of loot in a reasonable time frame.

Re: Crawmerax.  I've run the Farmory about a billion times, have really great weapons... i'm level 69 etc..

Thanks for this.

I've done the Knoxx Armoury three times in the first playthrough. Can I do this anytime I want or do I have to wait until I'm given the mission during the second playthrough?

#57 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

View PostMango, on 08 May 2011 - 02:58 PM, said:

Thanks for this.

I've done the Knoxx Armoury three times in the first playthrough. Can I do this anytime I want or do I have to wait until I'm given the mission during the second playthrough?

you have to have the mission (but dont complete it) otherwise the doors are locked.

#58 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 08 May 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

No, Knoxx is a totally separate DLC.  At least on Playthrough 1, you should probably do them in order Vanilla Game > Zombie Island > Mad Moxxi > General Knoxx > Robolution; General Knoxx and Robolution in particular take place after the original game.
Oh.  Dang me for having fun in the wrong order!  ;)  

I know most of these names you are mentioning but not all of them.  Zombie Island is named "Jacobs Cove" in the quick travel menu, Mad Moxxi is "The Underdome",  Robulution is "Tartarus Station".  What is the quick travel menu name for General Knoxx?

And another question, people are mentioning playthroughs, and I even see "playthrough" in the main menu.  Can one character play the game all over again with all the original missions using your high level character you beefed up in the first playthough?  Or do you just mean start again from scratch?  If you use your high level character are the opponents higher level too, to match your own?

After Tartarus Station I'll be good and go back to playing the vanilla game again.  I don't want any demerits in game heaven when Saint Carmack sees if I'm on The List at the Pearly Handled Gates.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#59 Mango

Mango

    Heroic

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Location:Canada

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 08 May 2011 - 05:48 PM, said:

Oh.  Dang me for having fun in the wrong order!  ;)  

I know most of these names you are mentioning but not all of them.  Zombie Island is named "Jacobs Cove" in the quick travel menu, Mad Moxxi is "The Underdome",  Robulution is "Tartarus Station".  What is the quick travel menu name for General Knoxx?

And another question, people are mentioning playthroughs, and I even see "playthrough" in the main menu.  Can one character play the game all over again with all the original missions using your high level character you beefed up in the first playthough?  Or do you just mean start again from scratch?  If you use your high level character are the opponents higher level too, to match your own?

After Tartarus Station I'll be good and go back to playing the vanilla game again.  I don't want any demerits in game heaven when Saint Carmack sees if I'm on The List at the Pearly Handled Gates.

The Knoxx DLC is accessed through the T-Bone Junction destination.

As for playthroughs, you can do a second playthrough and even a third, I think, using your existing character. You keep all your stats, money, and equipment. Enemies are more difficult, as well.

#60 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

There are 2 1/2 playthroughs;

you do Playthrough 1, and then start over again for Playthrough 2 - (right back in Fyrestone) though for Playthrough 2 the enemies start about level 36-38 in Fyrestone.  You re-do all the quests/etc - just like Diablo 2, when you switch to "Nightmare" or "Hell".  

'Playthrough 2.5' occurs after you beat the game on Playthrough 2 - the next time you log in (you still only get to pick Playthrough 1 or Playthrough 2) to Playthrough 2 *the entire game scales up to the max level* - and all of the boss enemies that normally stay dead (Bonehead, Sledge, Baron Flynt, etc) will respawn every time you re-enter the game.  

The quests dont restart, however, unlike a true 3rd playthrough, so that is why it is called "Playthrough 2.5".

edit:  you can access Playthrough 2 the moment you clear the vanilla game on playthrough 1.