#22 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

Pssh. Sales tax. What's that?

I grew up with no sales tax, then moved to a state that had it and it always bothered the crap out of me. Especially when I was thinking: "Oh, it only costs that much? Well alri..." BAM! Sales tax! :cool:  I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#23 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

Yeah, I got my copy of Borderlands from the Mac Game Store.  I was only getting a 177K download speed from MGS, and it ran all night, but by-cracky it was there the next morning and we've been running through the grassy meadows hand in hand ever since then.

Borderlands is turning out to be my favorite game ever.  The humor is clever and delicious.  The action is as non stop as you make it, tons of missions, lots of loot, open areas to explore in the order you choose.  Quick travel solves the vast open areas problem, the vehicle solves the intermediate open area problems.  It just keeps giving and giving.  I've been playing this game as hard as I can for over a week and there is no end in sight.  I don't understand the complaints about a lack of variety of enemies.  There are more varieties of enemies in this game than any I've played before!  Anyway, I highly recommend this game to all those that like an RPG or a FPS and especially to those like me that love the combination.

The weapon selection in this game is the best I've seen.  There is a wild variety of weapons making every weapons stash worth studying.  I've got this revolver now that serves up +3 static damage along with a big nasty hole.  When I shoot some unfortunate fool with it, it fries all the skin off of their head and then after they die, their skull explodes.  There are also fire, explosion, and caustic weapons all using the same ammo, yet somehow it's the weapon that changes the ammo so you don't have 4 times as many different types of ammo to find.

I have a shield mod that slowly trickles health so there is no more finding or buying health.  I have a skill mod that generates ammo almost as fast as I can shoot it up so there is no more finding or buying ammo.  It's like the developers made it a point to avoid all the tedious aspects of the game, leaving the fun parts unmarred.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#24 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Heheh, yeah, its a unique rare gem of a game thats for sure. I thouroughly enjoy/enjoyed it. I take breaks from time to time, but its one I go back to often.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#25 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

Plus I've got 3 more characters to try with different styles and strategies to devise.  Which would you recommend after playing Roland the soldier?  I imagine the Berserker plays somewhat the same as the soldier.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#26 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:46 PM

The girl is supposedly pretty good because of her elemental skills. The sniper is OK, but his skill tree was kind of meh (I think he's closest to the soldier). The berserker does good with the melee (melee is fun, especially when smacking really low-level enemies if you're running through earlier areas, and I used it a bit to try to get the achievements for melee kills, but it's pretty gimmicky with the other classes).

I don't know what to say to your monster variety observations. There are raiders (psychos and shooters are pretty much the only basic types), skags, the obligatory but rarely used flying monster, bugs that can't hurt you but annoy the hell out of you, zerg, and soldiers in the later levels. There may be different types within each category of monster, but they're basically the same (shoot any skag in the open mouth, and you crit; shoot them in the hindlegs, and they stumble), and excepting some special monsters in a couple areas, that's the entire palette. (Weapon and monster varieties aren't much different than Diablo or Hellgate, for instance, where there are just random properties and monster subtypes that they mix and match to make guns and mobs.) The game is too long for the amount of content that's actually in it IMO, and the story really could have been much stronger (it starts out in fair shape, but it falls apart pretty quickly).

But it is a ton of fun, sure.

#27 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

The sniper/hunter has a hawk friend which is fun to use. I agree his skill tree was kinda meh... lot of useless skills, kind of pigeon holes you in one direction. But he IS fast, fun, and wicked painful with single-shot action. Its the character I first played with. Very fun guy, and I love his laugh.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#28 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

View PostdevSin, on 30 April 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

The girl is supposedly pretty good because of her elemental skills. The sniper is OK, but his skill tree was kind of meh (I think he's closest to the soldier). The berserker does good with the melee (melee is fun, especially when smacking really low-level enemies if you're running through earlier areas, and I used it a bit to try to get the achievements for melee kills, but it's pretty gimmicky with the other classes).

I don't know what to say to your monster variety observations. There are raiders (psychos and shooters are pretty much the only basic types), skags, the obligatory but rarely used flying monster, bugs that can't hurt you but annoy the hell out of you, zerg, and soldiers in the later levels. There may be different types within each category of monster, but they're basically the same (shoot any skag in the open mouth, and you crit; shoot them in the hindlegs, and they stumble), and excepting some special monsters in a couple areas, that's the entire palette. (Weapon and monster varieties aren't much different than Diablo or Hellgate, for instance, where there are just random properties and monster subtypes that they mix and match to make guns and mobs.) The game is too long for the amount of content that's actually in it IMO, and the story really could have been much stronger (it starts out in fair shape, but it falls apart pretty quickly).

But it is a ton of fun, sure.
I see your point, there are basically only two types of monsters, human and animal, and technically we are ALL just animals.  Now I'm not having any fun any more  :(     ;)  So are you recommending the girl?  When I stat the soldier it's mainly for shotgun accuracy, shields and health.  I use the turret in emergencies, especially when I'm surrounded but otherwise don't bother.  It seems a lot of his stats are based on co-op play, which will probably never happen for me.

View PostFrigidman, on 01 May 2011 - 08:49 AM, said:

The sniper/hunter has a hawk friend which is fun to use. I agree his skill tree was kinda meh... lot of useless skills, kind of pigeon holes you in one direction. But he IS fast, fun, and wicked painful with single-shot action. Its the character I first played with. Very fun guy, and I love his laugh.
I do a LOT of sniping.  In fact the main factor in my choice of weapon is accuracy with speed the second.  If you can't put a round on target then it doesn't matter if it is the most powerful bullet in history.  I soften a lot of objectives up first from a distance by sniping with sniper rifles and pistols.  Then I go mop up with shotgun and SMG.  I think I might be playing the sniper/hunter using the soldier.  Maybe I should use a real sniper/hunter to do my sniper/hunting!

I'm playing Krom's Canyon right now, a fabulous fight with lots of cover, enemies everywhere and bullets flying from many directions.  This is my favorite fight so far.  Roland can really kick ass here.  "Critical hit, beyotch!"
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#29 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:00 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 01 May 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

I see your point, there are basically only two types of monsters, human and animal, and technically we are ALL just animals.
Don't be silly. There's quite a bit of difference between a turtle and a human. There is far less difference between an elder skag (who spits acid) and an alpha skag (who claws and bites), and the strategy for both is roughly the same (dodge, then shoot them in the open mouth or go for the rear). And even less difference between the pup and whelp and adult and whoever skag. And it's the same with all the other types.

When people say there aren't enough enemies, they're talking about enemies with meaningful differences. Psychos are humans too, but they're a different monster because they behave so differently. Skag A and Skag B are not different monster types just because their level and prefix are different.

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 01 May 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

So are you recommending the girl?  When I stat the soldier it's mainly for shotgun accuracy, shields and health.  I use the turret in emergencies, especially when I'm surrounded but otherwise don't bother.  It seems a lot of his stats are based on co-op play, which will probably never happen for me.
I only play the soldier, so he's all I could recommend. You can go to borderlandsthegame.com to check out the skills (requires Flash, though, so you'll have to find the exact pages yourself), which will allow you to spec out a build I think up to Level 40 for all the classes (and gives you the in-game interface for the skill trees).

#30 Mango

Mango

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

I'm nearly finished my first play through the game and DLCs with Mordecai the Hunter (currently level 47).

The game is outstanding, particularly the level design. I just love the landscapes--with the varied terrain and sprawling vistas--and the cool architecture, from the suspension bridges to the floating platforms to the make-shift shanties.

As for the DLCs, The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned is meh, Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot is difficult, and both The Secret Armory of General Knoxx and Claptrap's New Robot Revolution are superb. I especially enjoyed the humor and emotion in  Claptrap's New Robot Revolution (Viva la Robolution!). The little claptraps are sympathetic revolutionaries and I felt guilty for having to oppose them.

The hunter is an interesting character. You can focus on sniper, gunslinger, or falconer (ranger?) using Bloodwing. Mordecai is weak early on and needs to avoid close combat, so I put points into sniping and Bloodwing. Some people hate Bloodwing, but I think he's a lot of fun and I've used him like a cruise missile to weaken or take out the opposition. You need a clear view of your enemies for him to work. He occasionally gets caught up in structures and is less useful indoors. But in later levels, he's great for transferring health to you and he's awesome when attacking up to six enemies at a time.

After a while, I started pouring most of my points into gunslinger. Pistols and revolvers are fun. It's headshots all the way. I basically only use shotguns, handguns, and sniper rifles, along with Bloodwing.

If I decide to play through a second time with a new character, I'll either go tank or siren. Apparently the siren gets crazy strong in higher levels.

#31 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

View PostdevSin, on 01 May 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

You can go to borderlandsthegame.com to check out the skills (requires Flash, though, so you'll have to find the exact pages yourself), which will allow you to spec out a build I think up to Level 40 for all the classes (and gives you the in-game interface for the skill trees).
Excellent, just what I need.  Thanks!

View PostMango, on 01 May 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

I'm nearly finished my first play through the game and DLCs with Mordecai the Hunter (currently level 47).

The game is outstanding, particularly the level design. I just love the landscapes--with the varied terrain and sprawling vistas--and the cool architecture, from the suspension bridges to the floating platforms to the make-shift shanties.

As for the DLCs, The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned is meh, Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot is difficult, and both The Secret Armory of General Knoxx and Claptrap's New Robot Revolution are superb. I especially enjoyed the humor and emotion in  Claptrap's New Robot Revolution (Viva la Robolution!). The little claptraps are sympathetic revolutionaries and I felt guilty for having to oppose them.

The hunter is an interesting character. You can focus on sniper, gunslinger, or falconer (ranger?) using Bloodwing. Mordecai is weak early on and needs to avoid close combat, so I put points into sniping and Bloodwing. Some people hate Bloodwing, but I think he's a lot of fun and I've used him like a cruise missile to weaken or take out the opposition. You need a clear view of your enemies for him to work. He occasionally gets caught up in structures and is less useful indoors. But in later levels, he's great for transferring health to you and he's awesome when attacking up to six enemies at a time.

After a while, I started pouring most of my points into gunslinger. Pistols and revolvers are fun. It's headshots all the way. I basically only use shotguns, handguns, and sniper rifles, along with Bloodwing.

If I decide to play through a second time with a new character, I'll either go tank or siren. Apparently the siren gets crazy strong in higher levels.
OK, I've decided my next play though is with Mordecai.  I've been playing Roland with handguns, sniper rifles and shotguns, I'm actually a Hunter at heart it appears.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#32 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 30 April 2011 - 09:17 AM, said:

Yeah, I got my copy of Borderlands from the Mac Game Store.  I was only getting a 177K download speed from MGS, and it ran all night, but by-cracky it was there the next morning and we've been running through the grassy meadows hand in hand ever since then.

Borderlands is turning out to be my favorite game ever.  The humor is clever and delicious.  The action is as non stop as you make it, tons of missions, lots of loot, open areas to explore in the order you choose.  Quick travel solves the vast open areas problem, the vehicle solves the intermediate open area problems.  It just keeps giving and giving.  I've been playing this game as hard as I can for over a week and there is no end in sight.  I don't understand the complaints about a lack of variety of enemies.  There are more varieties of enemies in this game than any I've played before!  Anyway, I highly recommend this game to all those that like an RPG or a FPS and especially to those like me that love the combination.

The weapon selection in this game is the best I've seen.  There is a wild variety of weapons making every weapons stash worth studying.  I've got this revolver now that serves up +3 static damage along with a big nasty hole.  When I shoot some unfortunate fool with it, it fries all the skin off of their head and then after they die, their skull explodes.  There are also fire, explosion, and caustic weapons all using the same ammo, yet somehow it's the weapon that changes the ammo so you don't have 4 times as many different types of ammo to find.

I have a shield mod that slowly trickles health so there is no more finding or buying health.  I have a skill mod that generates ammo almost as fast as I can shoot it up so there is no more finding or buying ammo.  It's like the developers made it a point to avoid all the tedious aspects of the game, leaving the fun parts unmarred.

it also depends on how you build, honestly.  With Roland, you dont need a class mod to give you ammo; a single point in Supply Drop will keep you full on ammo forever, as long as you throw your turret every cooldown.  

you dont need a shield mod that regens health if you have a turret spec'ed for healing, either; you can get 5% HP/second with the rank-1 healing talent.  Couple that with a heavy gunner mod (more ammo capacity per clip, more assault) and a high RoF machine gun and you can melt people all day long (and at very high levels, also get Stat (5% HP/sec after a kill) as well, making you hard to drop.  In either case, a MUCH better shield for Roland (because the turret heals or you have Stat, or both) is a 'Tough Guy' shield - 60% extra HP.  

Mordecai is very potent with the talent at the top of the sniper tree (Tresspass) and then focusing on the bird (lowering his base cooldown in that tree, and the talent that lowers the cooldown per sniper rifle hit in the sniper tree - which goes AMAZINGLY well with the shot-gun sniper rifle or the fully auto sniper rifle) and then taking the talent that makes him hit four or five guys.  

At high end play, you can throw Bloodwing, hell fly out and nail four or five guys; then you shoot one guy with your multi-projectile sniper or fully-auto sniper rifle and his cooldown resets almost instantly, and you throw him again..

and, coincidentally, you can make it so Bloodwing drops more loot from bad guys!  

My friend plays a high-end mordecai like that.

Keep in mind you can get skill points from other places (1 extra from completing the quest in Madd Moxxi's Underdone on both difficulty levels, total 2; 1 each from each playthrough of Claptraps NRR - total 2; and extra levels from Knoxx) leaving you with a total of 69 points to spend at max level, meaning you can get a LOT of talents.  

The Siren is the easiest to play (or is considered so) because she is extremely survivable because she can escape from any situation and there is a talent that makes her heal while she's phased - 7% HP/sec, i think.  And then you add that to her elemental enhancing talents, increased accuracy with SMGs (allowing you to use the otherwise unusably innacruate 'Double Anarchy' SMGs which fire 4 rounds per shot), and increased bullet damage make her a damage dealing powerhouse too.  

Roland and Mordecai also bring a lot of party support, which the Siren and Brick do not.  

Roland can instantly revive people when he drops his turret, heal his entire party with Aid Station and Stat, replenish everyone's ammo with Supply Drop, etc.

#33 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

Thanks Tetsuya, great tips.  This is such an awesome game!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

Got to love this +3 static pistol.  Fries the skin off their heads and then their skull explodes.  I've noticed several times an eyeball bouncing past me, I chase it like a cat but it doesn't last long.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

I like acid deaths the best. They turn into an acid shower. You can practically feel the spray when they're dissolving.

#36 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:24 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 03 May 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

Got to love this +3 static pistol.  Fries the skin off their heads and then their skull explodes.  I've noticed several times an eyeball bouncing past me, I chase it like a cat but it doesn't last long.

Perhaps it will also feature in 'Always Remember Me' for the dates that don't go well :D ?

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

I like to do elemental damage on the Bruisers.  They bitch and moan loudly as they spark, burn, dissolve, or detonate and they last a long time so it gets to be pretty humorous.  But yeah, I have this +3 corrosive sniper rifle that does huge acid damage and I've seen a lot of bad people twist and flail as they stumble to the ground dissolving.

View PostSargiel, on 03 May 2011 - 11:24 PM, said:

Perhaps it will also feature in 'Always Remember Me' for the dates that don't go well :D ?
I have a feeling that the cellphone will be the weapon of choice in dealing out punishment and justice in that game.  They really do need a psycho-hose-bitch mod for the game that will allow actual weapons and murder sprees.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#38 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

There is an excellent Wiki out there for Borderlands:

http://borderlands.w....com/wiki/Skill

I set it to the "skill" page, which is a good jumping off point for learning what skills actually do vs how they read.  

For instance:

Roland's skill Supply Drop is either a 1 or 5 point skill - you only ever gain two additional supply packets (at levels 4 and 5) meaning levels 2 and 3 are relatively worthless - so you either tend to invest 1, or 5 points into this skill.

Some skills can also be boosted over level 5 with Class Mods, and some cannot (it will tell you in the skill listings here).

#39 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

Excellent resource.  Thanks bro!

I found this nasty alien sniper rifle that shoots powerful electric bolts with super precision.  You only get about 3 shots rapid fire before it has to recharge, but that's all I really need as I snake around the area removing heads.  I love to return to Krom's Canyon and Old Haven for great justice.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#40 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 04 May 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

Excellent resource.  Thanks bro!

I found this nasty alien sniper rifle that shoots powerful electric bolts with super precision.  You only get about 3 shots rapid fire before it has to recharge, but that's all I really need as I snake around the area removing heads.  I love to return to Krom's Canyon and Old Haven for great justice.

the Eridian weapons eventually become unusable (post level 50/second playthrough) because they just dont do enough damage, but they are fun to play with on Playthrough 1.