• 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

View PostAussieMacGamer, on 05 June 2011 - 06:05 AM, said:

…Just my unsubstantiated opinion.
Which I am agreeing with. ;)

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#42 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:20 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on 05 June 2011 - 07:00 AM, said:

Which I am agreeing with. ;)

Liberator.
My GOD man!  You just agreed with an unsubstantiated opinion!!   :o
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#43 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:25 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 05 June 2011 - 09:20 AM, said:

My GOD man!  You just agreed with an unsubstantiated opinion!!   :o
:lol:

The humour is always great here!

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#44 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:48 AM

Just in from the WWDC: Lion will really only be available as download from the App Store. Not cool. Will be released in July, for $30.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#45 Gotrek

Gotrek

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 06 June 2011 - 11:48 AM, said:

Just in from the WWDC: Lion will really only be available as download from the App Store. Not cool. Will be released in July, for $30.

Wrong... Way cool... buy once install on all your Macs

#46 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

View PostGotrek, on 06 June 2011 - 12:16 PM, said:

Thanks, but I prefer a *disc* when it comes to installing an operating system.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#47 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

View PostGotrek, on 06 June 2011 - 12:16 PM, said:

Have to admit I'm with Janichsan in preferring a disc. I imagine it's not exactly a small download either and we're not all blessed with crazy-fast connections :) And at least up until now you could just buy a family pack DVD and install on all your Macs for £41.

Also there's no resale value in downloads tied to your apple account..

#48 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:41 PM

Maybe there will be an option to burn it on a disc? *shrug* Either way, it'll still shut out a good number of people.

I've yet to see any feature that would make it worth the upgrade. Pass.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#49 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I agree.  No availability via a hardcopy disc just convinced me to pass completely.  What am i going to do when i need to nuke and pave?  Re-install 10.6 and the redownload Lion every time?  Crap

#50 Gotrek

Gotrek

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

View PostTetsuya, on 06 June 2011 - 02:01 PM, said:

I agree.  No availability via a hardcopy disc just convinced me to pass completely.  What am i going to do when i need to nuke and pave?  Re-install 10.6 and the redownload Lion every time?  Crap

OS X Lion includes a built-in restore partition, allowing you to repair or reinstall OS X without the need for discs.

from apple's website

#51 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2172 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

View PostGotrek, on 06 June 2011 - 04:26 PM, said:

OS X Lion includes a built-in restore partition, allowing you to repair or reinstall OS X without the need for discs.

from apple's website

Great... As long as i dont need to erase the partion map, or, god forbid, the hard drive doesnt fail.  Ive got a bare drive, lets say... What do i do then?

Stupid decision is stupid, no matter how Apple tries to gussie it up.  Its just dumb.

#52 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

View PostGotrek, on 06 June 2011 - 04:26 PM, said:

from apple's website
Fantastic.

Too bad when the hard drive goes, so will the restore partition. What happens if your disk is on the fritz and you want to boot from the Os install disc and run some tools on it? What if you need to reset something? What if you need to reinstall the OS and the Mac isn't fully functional and running Snow Leopard?

What if I have a bare drive because I just replaced the startup disk and I want to install a fresh OS and then migrate stuff over by putting the old drive in an external enclosure like we've been able to do since Panther.

Apple's solution in 1991: Pop in the OS install disc.

Apple's solution in 2011: Install Leopard, upgrade to Snow Leopard, get on the Mac App Store, redownload Lion. Hope you've got internet access available at the time. :crazy:

Basically, if you can't even service your equipment if you're not in a 1st world country and hooked up to broadband 24/7, and sometimes not even then, then your way of doing things f'in sucks. I think Apple has gone full-on delusional.

Microsoft isn't looking so bad these days.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#53 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:43 PM

You can make your own boot disc.  (USB stick as well as DVD.)  Yes, it's an extra step, but on the bright side...on the bright side...hang on, I'll think of one.

Install Leopard, upgrade to Snow Leopard
Why wouldn't you just install Snow Leopard?

Microsoft isn't looking so bad these days.
Guess you haven't been keeping up on MS news recently?  Or did you mean "Linux isn't looking so bad these days"?

--Eric

#54 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

Good grief. Time to make a fortune by starting a business dedicated to downloading people's app store purchases for them, saving them to physical media, and mailing them out.

#55 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:00 AM

View PostEric5h5, on 06 June 2011 - 09:43 PM, said:

Why wouldn't you just install Snow Leopard?
...and then update it to 10.6.8, since that is the minimum version from where you can install Lion.

There are still too many unanswered questions regarding that new scheme. I can think of more than enough scenarios where it would simply fail.

Anyway, together with this and the lack of really compelling new features in Lion, this might be the first version of OS X that I'll skip completely.

#56 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:31 AM

Can't believe you guys are going to pass on this when it's so dirt cheap. IMO the new Mail and resume features alone are easily worth the $29 for me. Hell, we play mac games, don't you want access to the new fancy OpenGL 3.2 drivers? Games will require them before too long anyways.

Yes, it's ridiculous that there is no DVD, but at least you can make a boot disk. I'll be doing that first thing on a spare external partition. I would probably do this anyway even if there was a DVD option.

#57 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:25 AM

I've been kind of hating optical discs for important software like OS install discs lately anyway after the disc that came with my mac got scratched up and I couldn't reinstall from it yet I hardly even handled that disc. I made a Snow Leopard  install drive from an 8GB thumb drive after that instead.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#58 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

Hopefully they will still distribute discs if you request one, and obviously there'll be 10.7 discs bundled with new computers too, but this is just where Apple's heading a moment.

If they don't stick in an option, heck, a recommendation and simple walkthrough to burn it to disc or usb drive, then they are indeed complete imbeciles.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#59 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

View Postteflon, on 07 June 2011 - 07:21 AM, said:

... and obviously there'll be 10.7 discs bundled with new computers too, ...
Obviously? I think not. I'm pretty sure that all Mac sold with Lion will only have one of those "Restore Partitions" on the built-in hard drives, but won't come with Install DVDs.

#60 mindnoise

mindnoise

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Steam ID:Exploding-Bob

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

View PostCougar, on 07 June 2011 - 01:31 AM, said:

Can't believe you guys are going to pass on this when it's so dirt cheap. IMO the new Mail and resume features alone are easily worth the $29 for me. Hell, we play mac games, don't you want access to the new fancy OpenGL 3.2 drivers? Games will require them before too long anyways.

Yes, it's ridiculous that there is no DVD, but at least you can make a boot disk. I'll be doing that first thing on a spare external partition. I would probably do this anyway even if there was a DVD option.

Yes I am with you, I have to admit.
I thought I´ll skip this one also but for the price it´s a no brainer.
Also since seeing the keynote on Versions, and Resume and Mission Control I really want that.
And considering abandoning FireFox and Thunderbird for Mail and Safari for the first time.

I SEE the possible problems. Rosetta is my first one.

My guess is you can make a bootable DVD from the Lion Image you get from the AppStore.
And I think Lion Install DVDs will be optional.

This is esp. funny since a lot of post here said they don´t need a CD drive anymore, when the new 2011 models came out. Always be careful what you wish for!  :nods:

But seriously there is a lot of good stuff going on that I guess, and is far better than I expected. It will safe me a lot of time I can use to do something more useful. Like get some work done. Or more free time for gaming. :D
hey, don´t worry - it´s only red pixels on your hands...

8 - iPhone SE, 16GB
7- iPad Pro 12.9", WiFi 128GB
6- MacMini 7,1: i5@2.6GHZ, 8GB, Intel Iris (5100)
5- iPad Air, 16Gb
4- MacBook Pro 8,1:  i5@2.3GHz, intel HD3000, 8GB RAM
3- iPad 2, 16GB
2- iPod Touch 4G, 8GB
1- MacBook 1,1, 1,83GHz, intel GMA950, 2GB RAM
-> The (nearly) ultimate intel HD 3000 gaming performance sheet <-