5 replies to this topic

#1 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:47 AM

So back in the days of the shareware era and pre-OSX, there was this turn based/puzzle game that used chess pieces for the.. pieces.  At the beginning of each level you bought your pieces (or something like that), and had to maneuver your little army across the map, fighting other pieces along the as you try to... get to some sort of 'end'?

1) anyone have ANY idea as to what i'm talking about?
2) remember the name?

A friend and I were sure it Spiderweb software that made the game, but there's no mention anywhere of them making any such thing...

edit - also!  it was kinda.. SPOOKY.  it had a sort of dark vibe to it, like the world was going to end and everyone you ever knew was going to die if yo didn't solve the levels and get your pieces to the other end alive.  a traumatic game for a young kid to play.
"Nothing here but us text"

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2452 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:07 AM

Battle Chess? Archon?
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#3 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:11 PM

good try, but other than using chess pieces, the resemblance to any chess game stopped there.  The levels were more fantastical.  It was an isometric board where you navigated a forest and crossed bridges to get to other floating masses.

i think this was a very niche game, so i won't be surprised if no one remembers it :/  it was a fun game though!

#4 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

Stratego?

#5 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:07 PM

Lost Souls.  I had that, was an interesting little game.  It is Spiderweb, though they don't list it anymore even in the "old games" section, probably because it was actually a third-party game not developed by Jeff (along with a few other similarly really old games like Ocean Bound and Galactic Core).

--Eric

#6 MightySlugMan

MightySlugMan

Macologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

Lost Souls!  yes!  Way to go Eric!

also, Galactic Core!  That was also a blast!
(btw, Richard White was the creator of Lost Souls, Galactic Core, Ocean Bound and Rock Solid.  All published by Spiderweb)

Thanks guys!