1 reply to this topic

#1 hallatie

hallatie

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:14 AM

I hope this is a dumb question with a quick answer. I have a 500gb HD in my 13". I have 40gb set aside for Boot Camp with Win7. I'd like to take the available 220gb (available) and use 60gb for another operating system. Here is the warning I get n Disk Utility:
This disk appears to be partitioned for Boot Camp. Changing the partition map may make this disk unbootable using windows

Is Disk Utility telling me that if I change the unused space on my OS X partition,not the Boot Camp, it will still affect the existing Boot Camp partition?
OR-is it telling me I can't have two-bootable windows partitions? Make sense?

#2 jgwdoc

jgwdoc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:34 AM

You can certainly have more than one bootable partition. If you look over at the Boot Camp sub-forum on the Apple Discussions Forum, you'll find lots of folks booting MacOS, a version or 2 of Windows, plus Linux. I'm not sure if you're getting that warning as a general note of caution from DU or perhaps because any changes in the partition sizes might make your Windows 7 partition too small to boot. If you're worried, you might use WinClone (free) or CampTune to make a copy of your windows partition before fiddling.
  Work: MacPro 2x3.0 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon/8GB RAM/ATI HD5870,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Vista64
Home: MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon/6GB RAM/ATI HD4870,1GB VRAM/Snow Leopard/Vista64
Travel: Clamshell G3 266MHz/OS 9