Any Good Newtonian Space Combat Sims Since Terminus?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Marvin_Arnold

Marvin_Arnold

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

I have to admit that I totally neglected the flight sim market in recent years, except for FlightGear. But recently, I fired up my old 10.4 Classic environment in order to play some hours of good ol' Terminus (2000) and had a lot of fun. (The OSX version by TPE doesn't work for some reason)

So, I was wondering if there ever were good space combat sims with Newtonian physics since then? Preferably with a story a la Terminus? I found the Babylon 5 game posted on this forum, but it has officially disappeared (links are dead), but maybe there have been more? Anything anyone could recommend?

Thanks.

M:A:

#2 Marvin_Arnold

Marvin_Arnold

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

EDIT: AS I mentioned in its own thread, the Babylon 5:IFH site has moved without notification and is not dead, but can now be found at http://ifhgame.ru

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

I'd suggest X3: Reunion and/or X3: Terran Conflict.

Since in my opinion, the best and most realistic space flight game was Frontier, I still hope that some day, hopefully still within my lifetime, Elite 4 will be released...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 06 March 2011 - 09:59 AM, said:

I'd suggest X3: Reunion and/or X3: Terran Conflict.

Since in my opinion, the best and most realistic space flight game was Frontier, I still hope that some day, hopefully still within my lifetime, Elite 4 will be released...

Well my educated guess says not any time soon :(

Edwin

#5 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

View Postedddeduck, on 07 March 2011 - 08:54 AM, said:

Well my educated guess says not any time soon :(

Edwin
A quick check on the List of Macintosh Games (which is slowly turning into a decent resource) yields 2 more recent releases: The Polynomial and No Gravity.

The Polynomial was released on Steam sometime last year.  I don't believe it has any story to it.

No Gravity was re-released (the old version seems to have been pulled from internet) earlier this year with new updated graphics.  From the description on the Mac App Store, it seems to have an interesting storyline.

#6 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

Neither of these are "Newtonian" space sims: if you have played one of the other games mentioned earlier, you'll know that all those have a very special flight mechanics in common. If you haven't, think of the way you control the ship in Escape Velocity – or Asteroids. Just in 3D.

The Polynomial is visually awesome, by the way. I've played the freeware version some time ago.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#7 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:00 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 19 March 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

Neither of these are "Newtonian" space sims: if you have played one of the other games mentioned earlier, you'll know that all those have a very special flight mechanics in common. If you haven't, think of the way you control the ship in Escape Velocity or Asteroids. Just in 3D.

The Polynomial is visually awesome, by the way. I've played the freeware version some time ago.
Ah, my mistake.  I am familiar with the Newtonian flight mechanics, but I haven't actually played Polynomial or No Gravity.

If I remember correctly, Parsec was a Newtonian Space Combat game, but it's almost as old as Terminus.

#8 Marvin_Arnold

Marvin_Arnold

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:45 AM

Ah, thank you all for the suggestions.

X3 looks yummy, from what I can tell from Youtube. How could I've overlooked that?

How's the story in X3? What I liked about Terminus (apart from the physical flight aspects) was the strong story that was running in the background all the time. (I hadn't seen Babylon 5 yet back then...) And the chatter of other pilots in the story-based missions. Gave the game a lot of atmosphere.

I'll have to check out the rest of them...

Thanks so far!

M:A: