47 replies to this topic

#21 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 16 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

View PostPhil Culliton, on 16 April 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

Hey DaveyJJ - just wanted to pop in and say hi, and thanks for doing the contest.  If you'd like I can throw in an autographed picture of me holding a transistor radio or something.

For everybody else, I'm the in-house OSX guy at BFC.   (Technically we're all Mac guys, but I'm the one responsible for the OSX version.)  We're definitely hard at work.  As a matter of fact, I've got to get back to work right now.  :)  When we announce pre-orders for the OSX version we'll provide a timeframe, but as Davey intimated pre-orders are probably not far off.

However, I'm always happy to answer questions - or requisition appropriate responses from the rest of the team - so feel free to ask away.  I can justify a break every now and then.  ;)

BTW - Eric.  Are you Eric5h5 from the Unity forums?  If so you, sir, are a god among men, and I tip my hat to you.

Back to the code!

Phil

Many thanks for dropping in. If you (fabulous BF) guys want to autograph something, maybe the SteelBook version I will put on pre-order for myself as soon as that link appears?

I'm still waiting for the Xcode project files  ;) but take your time. I hope I wasn't reading too much into Martin's "announcement" but felt it's getting close regardless and this timeframe for the contest works for me. Yes, that is Eric5h from the Unity forums and he has also done so much for me over the years it's hard to thank him enough. (I am still listed as the 4th member of the Unity forums however, so there!) he is, indeed, a god among men ... although our unofficial mascot here at IMG, tBC, keeps us all well in line. A goddess among men, that one is!

P.S. Years back I also had completed a chat client for the original CM called CombatRanger but never got around to releasing it. Sigh.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#22 Phil Culliton

Phil Culliton

Battlefront

• Developer
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

Tacohead said:

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks!

Tacohead said:

I'm really looking forward to CM:BN! I'm curious if there will be a windowed mode in the game?

No, unfortunately there won't be a windowed mode.  Only fullscreen.  This may change in future, but I think it would be low on the list.

Tacohead said:

Thanks and keep up the great work! Posted Image

-PN

Thanks for the encouragement.  :)

Phil

#23 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

View PostPhil Culliton, on 16 April 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

He's answered more questions for me without knowing who I was than all of my college professors combined.  :)
Oh, so you don't think I know who you were?  Gods are omiscient, you know.

You, on the other hand, are clearly a god among men as well, but for entirely more impressive and socially acceptable reasons.

Bad programmer!  No!  ::swats Phil with rolled-up punch cards::

--Eric

#24 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

View PostPhil Culliton, on 16 April 2011 - 01:15 PM, said:

You, on the other hand, are clearly a god among men as well, but for entirely more impressive and socially acceptable reasons.
Aw pshaw!  Shucks... I bet you say that to all the admins.  But this time it was dead on!  

View PostDaveyJJ, on 16 April 2011 - 02:03 PM, said:

tBC, keeps us all well in line. A goddess among men, that one is!
That's just uncanny, it's like you can see what I am wearing all the way from there.

View PostEric5h5, on 16 April 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

Bad programmer!  No!  ::swats Phil with rolled-up punch cards::
Wallow like a gut shot hog in your pathetic petty jealousy you munchburger.  Phil is obviously a cultured man of great distinction with great clarity of mind.  I'm considering giving him your position as moderator.  He certainly says things moderators are supposed to and he's not all... broken... like you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#25 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

What do you mean, broken?  What do you mean, broken? What do you mean, broken? What do you mean, broken? What do you mean, broken? What do you mean, broken? What do you mean, broken? What do you mean, broken? What do you mean, broken? What do you mean, broken? What do you mean, broken? What do you mean, broken? What do

--Eric

#26 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • 3512 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:18 AM

View PostPhil Culliton, on 16 April 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

Eric you, sir, are a god among men
And yet he still doesn't seem to be able to manage an update for TMFPPG.  :rolleyes:

:pinkpony:

#27 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

Yeah, and I don't think gods are supposed to live in their parents basement.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#28 Phil Culliton

Phil Culliton

Battlefront

• Developer
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

DaveyJJ said:

Many thanks for dropping in. If you (fabulous BF) guys want to autograph something, maybe the SteelBook version I will put on pre-order for myself as soon as that link appears?

Heh, those don't go through my hands.  I can see if Moon wants to autograph it or something though.  :)  The offer of a picture of myself holding a frayed Nerf bat and a two-slice toaster still stands, though.

DaveyJJ said:

I'm still waiting for the Xcode project files  ;) but take your time. I hope I wasn't reading too much into Martin's "announcement" but felt it's getting close regardless and this timeframe for the contest works for me.

Yeah, it's getting close regardless.  Hopefully there will be a pre-order announcement soon.

Err, those Xcode project files... I don't want to dash your hopes, so I'm not going to say anything.

DaveyJJ said:

Yes, that is Eric5h from the Unity forums and he has also done so much for me over the years it's hard to thank him enough. (I am still listed as the 4th member of the Unity forums however, so there!) he is, indeed, a god among men ... although our unofficial mascot here at IMG, tBC, keeps us all well in line. A goddess among men, that one is!

The personalities here... are flavorful.  Like flavored butter.  I'm working my way down to your posts, guys.  I'm just taking my time, like the first time I read James Gleick's Chaos, so I don't waste this golden opportunity at cultural anthropology.

DaveyJJ said:

P.S. Years back I also had completed a chat client for the original CM called CombatRanger but never got around to releasing it. Sigh.

Quite a lot of people still play the original Combat Mission series.  If you released it I bet people would enjoy it.  If you open-sourced it you might even get some enterprising programmers to tend to it for you.

Phil

#29 pantherv

pantherv

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Steam Name:panthervca

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

much longer and the drool i leak every time i see a screen shot is gonna short my keyboard!
MP 2.66 QC/8GB/1TB WD Velicoraptor/10.8/GT120/Lacie 234 24in/1TB Gtech/Razer Black Widow Mac Edition Keyboard/Logitech G500 Mouse/Razer eXactMat.Audioengine A5 & A8 Speakers & Sub.
iPhone 4s/32GB/Speck Case
iPad Mini Retina 64

#30 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:09 AM

View PostPhil Culliton, on 16 April 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

Thanks!

No, unfortunately there won't be a windowed mode.  Only fullscreen.  This may change in future, but I think it would be low on the list.

Thanks for the encouragement.  :)

Phil

Will the game be playable entirely with the mouse then? I'm asking because I'm disabled and can't use a physical keyboard very well. I do use a great onscreen keyboard but the fullscreen-only nature of CM: BN might prevent that from functioning (some fullscreen games block the floating onscreen keyboard out and others don't). So if it's entirely playable with a mouse it would be a moot point.

Thanks in advance.

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#31 Phil Culliton

Phil Culliton

Battlefront

• Developer
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

View PostTacohead, on 17 April 2011 - 10:09 AM, said:

Will the game be playable entirely with the mouse then? I'm asking because I'm disabled and can't use a physical keyboard very well. I do use a great onscreen keyboard but the fullscreen-only nature of CM: BN might prevent that from functioning (some fullscreen games block the floating onscreen keyboard out and others don't). So if it's entirely playable with a mouse it would be a moot point.

Thanks in advance.

-PN

Which onscreen keyboard do you use?  I would love to get my hands on a copy so that I can see if CM works with it.  Combat Mission allows OSX elements to draw over portions of the screen if necessary, so it might work with your keyboard.  There will be a demo as well, so you can use that to confirm if the keyboard works, and if the control scheme suits you.

In terms of playing with the mouse only - yes, everything is available via mouse motions or mouse menus.  The game can be played either in turn-based or pause-able real time mode, so you should have plenty of time to give commands if needed.

Phil

#32 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

View PostPhil Culliton, on 17 April 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

Which onscreen keyboard do you use?  I would love to get my hands on a copy so that I can see if CM works with it.  Combat Mission allows OSX elements to draw over portions of the screen if necessary, so it might work with your keyboard.  There will be a demo as well, so you can use that to confirm if the keyboard works, and if the control scheme suits you.

In terms of playing with the mouse only - yes, everything is available via mouse motions or mouse menus.  The game can be played either in turn-based or pause-able real time mode, so you should have plenty of time to give commands if needed.

Phil

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the response. Here's a link to the onscreen keyboard I use:

http://www.assistive.../keystrokes.php

There's a demo you can use to test with. If it doesn't work at first you could try setting it to "Game Mode" under the "Mode" menu.

Either way it sounds like I might not even need it but if it works that would definitely remove any barriers to people like myself playing it. CM: BN might even be a good candidate for a review on my site (http://www.assistivegaming.com/ sorry for the plug). Posted Image

Thanks again and please let me know if it works.

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3

#33 Phil Culliton

Phil Culliton

Battlefront

• Developer
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

View PostTacohead, on 17 April 2011 - 12:59 PM, said:

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the response. Here's a link to the onscreen keyboard I use:

http://www.assistive.../keystrokes.php

There's a demo you can use to test with. If it doesn't work at first you could try setting it to "Game Mode" under the "Mode" menu.

Either way it sounds like I might not even need it but if it works that would definitely remove any barriers to people like myself playing it. CM: BN might even be a good candidate for a review on my site (http://www.assistivegaming.com/ sorry for the plug). Posted Image

Thanks again and please let me know if it works.

-PN

It does!  In Game Mode, the keyboard shows up and the game responds to commands and strings typed with it.  This was with the latest demo of KeyStrokes (4.1.1).

I would try the demo when it's out just to confirm that your setup works, of course, and that it's comfortable for you.  But it worked beautifully for me!  Nifty.

No problem with the plug.  :)  If you'd like to do a review I will see if I can hook you up with a review copy.

Phil

#34 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

View PostPhil Culliton, on 17 April 2011 - 01:21 PM, said:

It does!  In Game Mode, the keyboard shows up and the game responds to commands and strings typed with it.  This was with the latest demo of KeyStrokes (4.1.1).

I would try the demo when it's out just to confirm that your setup works, of course, and that it's comfortable for you.  But it worked beautifully for me!  Nifty.

No problem with the plug.  :)  If you'd like to do a review I will see if I can hook you up with a review copy.

Phil

Excellent! That will probably come in handy anyways, especially if there's any right-clicking involved, as my head-operated mouse only does left-clicks (I usually use KeyStrokes for Command-clicking or whatever equals a right-click). I usually also use their excellent Layout Kitchen companion software for designing my own custom KeyStrokes panels for each game. So now I know I can do one for CM: BN!

A review copy would be much appreciated when the time comes, especially now that it seems certain CM: BN will be particularly accessible. Thanks so much for your help. Posted Image

-PN

#35 DrJohnFever

DrJohnFever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 17 April 2011 - 08:51 AM, said:

I don't think gods are supposed to live in their parents basement.
Why not? Its free!

#36 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

I save tBC's marriage and this is how I'm repaid?  Feh.

View PostTesseract, on 17 April 2011 - 06:18 AM, said:

And yet he still doesn't seem to be able to manage an update for TMFPPG.  :rolleyes:
If something is perfect, you can't really make it more perfect.

--Eric

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

View PostEric5h5, on 17 April 2011 - 08:31 PM, said:

I save tBC's marriage and this is how I'm repaid?  Feh.
Great, 30 more years of screeching, nagging, and left hooks.  Thanks a million.

View PostEric5h5, on 17 April 2011 - 08:31 PM, said:

If something is perfect, you can't really make it more perfect.
Oh yes you can bong breath, it's called "perfecter".
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#38 Phil Culliton

Phil Culliton

Battlefront

• Developer
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

View PostTacohead, on 17 April 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

Excellent! That will probably come in handy anyways, especially if there's any right-clicking involved, as my head-operated mouse only does left-clicks (I usually use KeyStrokes for Command-clicking or whatever equals a right-click). I usually also use their excellent Layout Kitchen companion software for designing my own custom KeyStrokes panels for each game. So now I know I can do one for CM: BN!

Very cool.  Just make sure you try the CM:BN demo (or the press copy, whichever comes first) to make sure your own setup works.  If it doesn't contact me and we'll see what we can work out.  You should be able to email me via my profile.

View PostTacohead, on 17 April 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

A review copy would be much appreciated when the time comes, especially now that it seems certain CM: BN will be particularly accessible. Thanks so much for your help. Posted Image

Sure thing.  Please drop me a PM when you can, and I'll get you set up.

Phil

#39 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

View PostPhil Culliton, on 17 April 2011 - 01:21 PM, said:

Phil

This is an awesome example, btw, of a developer going out of their way to test for a user. Three cheers for BF!

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#40 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 18 April 2011 - 10:17 AM, said:

This is an awesome example, btw, of a developer going out of their way to test for a user. Three cheers for BF!

Indeed it is Davey! Posted Image

-PN