17 replies to this topic

#1 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

Has anyone tried out the new racing game that appeared on the Mac App Store?  Asphalt 6 has been up there for a few days.

I'm wondering if it feels like a decent Mac racing game, or if it feels like an iPad port with crappy controls, etc.  Fun to play?  Yes/no?

#2 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:56 AM

No one's played this yet?

How about an IMG review then?  Is it possible for IMG to review this?

#3 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:23 AM

Well, I found a "review" on a site, but it's not really a review.  It just talks about the features of the game and doesn't say anything about how good it is.

It's nice to see that IMG, the primo Mac Games site, is keeping up with the latest news in the Mac Gaming world.  It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the Mac App Store is competition for the Mac Game Store, would it?  Nooo, IMG would never be biased with it's gaming news topics.  Just keep announcing those "great" hidden object games that do so much to elevate Mac Gaming - and are just so fun to play!  I'd probably have more fun pouring vodka in my eye (don't try that, btw, because it hurt like hell and eats away at the coating around your eye).

It'd be nice if there was a demo or a "lite" version of Ashalt 6, but I haven't seen one on the company's website or anywhere else.

Why is this forum topic so silent??  Did Battle Cat slash off all your tongues?

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8076 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

View PostMarathon4ever, on 25 February 2011 - 09:23 AM, said:

No, I think no one actually played the game. Neither did I: the reviews in the store stating that it's basically just the carbon copy of the iOS version with lacking controls (no controller support) keep me from buying it.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

View PostMarathon4ever, on 22 February 2011 - 08:56 AM, said:

How about an IMG review then?  Is it possible for IMG to review this?
IMG reviews things one of two ways. Either we receive a review copy, or the reviewer personally bought the game and wants to review it. This game doesn't fit into either of those categories. There are literally dozens, if not even hundreds at this point, casual and indie games around Steam and the Mac App store. Its impossible to keep up with it. There's going to be a lot of games that aren't reviewed, or won't get reviewed for a long time.

It's nice to see that IMG, the primo Mac Games site, is keeping up with the latest news in the Mac Gaming world.  
So just because we aren't covering Asphalt 6 on the front page and reviewing it, we don't qualify as keeping up with the latest news? (your sarcasm is obvious.) Give me a break. Even if IMG was huge and had dozens of reviewers and reporters, its unlikely this would get touched. There's so many things released in the Mac App store every day its crazy. You'd need your own website just for that, let alone what IMG is. We pay attention to what is important in general in terms of mainstream news, and things of interest. Also do our best to report Indie news and review the games. We don't even have time for all the things on the Mac Game Store, or Steam, what to speak of the App Store which has so many titles. It would be wonderful if we could cover everything and review everything, but that's not the way it is.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the Mac App Store is competition for the Mac Game Store, would it?  Nooo, IMG would never be biased with it's gaming news topics.  Just keep announcing those "great" hidden object games that do so much to elevate Mac Gaming - and are just so fun to play!
Of course the Mac App store is competition. If every App store release was posted as news, we wouldn't have room for anything else. It would need its own section, or site even. I'm certainly interested in the App Store, and if you read through recent Features you'll notice I ask a lot of devs about it. But just because the MA store is out, it doesn't mean IMG is obligated to cover everything in it. If you want to volunteer as an IMG reviewer who takes on Mac App store games, then go for it.

Small hint, when a forum thread gets no replies, its because no one is interested.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

Did Battle Cat slash off all your tongues?
Well... there's an idea!  Thanks!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

I gof thif, buh I canf fay anyfih abouh ih.

--Eric

P.S.  Not really.  It's clearly an iOS game port, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but given that it's a racing game, it needs something exceptional for me to be interested in it, seeing as how racing games aren't generally my thing.  Flatout 2, for example--that's a good one.  Although it's more about crashing than racing, which is probably why I like it.

#8 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

View PostWumpus, on 25 February 2011 - 11:36 AM, said:

Of course the Mac App store is competition. If every App store release was posted as news, we wouldn't have room for anything else. It would need its own section, or site even. I'm certainly interested in the App Store, and if you read through recent Features you'll notice I ask a lot of devs about it. But just because the MA store is out, it doesn't mean IMG is obligated to cover everything in it. If you want to volunteer as an IMG reviewer who takes on Mac App store games, then go for it.

It's interesting that I ask for a review of one game, and you act like I'm asking IMG to review every game that comes out on Mac App Store and Steam and everywhere else. Obviously that's unreasonable, but that's not what I asked.

It's not like there are tons of Mac Gaming sites on the internet.  The major ones are pretty much this site and Mac Gamer (which has recently gone MIA).  Since IMG is one of the biggest, I would expect the people running the site would understand the responsibility they have to sort through all the information on Mac Gaming and pick out the most important bits to report on.

You mention that tons of games are continuously released on the Mac App Store, which is true, but most of it is garbage.  There's very few gems on there right now, compared to amount of throw-away stones.  That makes it alot easier to cover the gems.  Now, Asphalt 6 may not be a gem, but it's promising enough to take a look at.  There are very few arcade racers for the Mac, and even fewer really good ones (Flatout 2 is definitely one of the best).

The company that released the game is Gameloft, which has mostly been releasing games for iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone.  The previous Asphalt racing games released for those devices have been fun to play, and Asphalt 6 is only the second Mac game released so far by Gameloft.  I would say that's pretty newsworthy.

#9 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

For what its worth, I emailed Gameloft and asked them if they wanted to give us a review copy. If they do, I'll be glad to review it. If they don't, not happening.(By me anyway.)
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#10 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:36 AM

Cool.

It'll be interesting to see if Gameloft decides to give you a copy or not.  It might be an indiction of whether or not the game is worth anything.

#11 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

Asphalt 6: Adrenaline is now #5 in the Top 200 Paid Apps on the Mac App Store (see, I told you it was big news).

Any word from Gameloft on getting a review copy?

#12 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

Apparently Wumpus is all talk and no action.

Hey Tuncer, this game deserves a review by IMG !!!!

If this game is a top notch arcade racer, then Mac Gamers should be made aware of that, regardless of whether it's being offered on the Mac Game Store or not.

And if the game is just a lame iPad port, then Mac Gamers should be made aware too, so that they don't waste their money.

Enough stalling... report on this title already !!

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

You heard the man!  General quarters!!  Finagle the mizzenmast!  Hoist the capstan!  Man the poop deck!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#14 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

But I'm constipated, skipper!
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17382 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:21 AM

Then batten down the scuttlebutt and bring about the coxswain!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 DrJohnFever

DrJohnFever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

I call swabbing the poopdeck!  :lol:

#17 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:33 PM

Well, here's a youtube video of the gameplay on the Mac finally - and the game does look top notch:

There's a review of the game on OneClickMac too

#18 The Animaster

The Animaster

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Steam ID:theanimaster

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:42 AM

I played it on a student's computer. It's not that bad, but if you've already gotten titles like Dirt 2, then don't bother.

On an iDevice, the game is GREAT. On the mac it just feels dated. The graphics, controls, and gameplay. I was expecting better graphics really, but as it is -- it's just an iOS port. Someone mentioned gamepad support. I doesn't have any. This is REALLY STUPID because it wouldn't otherwise wear down your keyboard keys -- not nice when you're playing it on say, a macbook pro.

The game just feel more at home on the iPad. That's where it really shines, with the accelerometer and all. Otherwise on a mac it feels like your car is just HOVERING through the race instead of rolling around ripping up... asphalt.

If you're looking for a good racing game for the mac, look no further than Dirt2 (and hopefully in the future, D3) for mac.
Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15"@1680x1050 matte option 1GB Radeon 6750M 16GB RAM