17 replies to this topic

#1 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

I go through phases where Iím not super active hereóbut I still post maybe once a week or so (usually on News articles). And I always find that Iíve veen logged out, requiring me to go through extra screens. I know Iíd be more active if I didnít have to log in so often. (And some people may not bother figuring out why they canít postóthe message telling you so is a little vague.)

So a suggestion: could the number of days before your login expires be increased? I donít know what the delay is now (5-10 days?) but Iíd suggest 60 or 90 days at least. It would encourage participation from people who arenít heavy forum users.

Right now, if you donít post for a few days, youíre logged out automaticallyóa shorter delay than other forums Iím used to.

Just a thought. Thanks!

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15757 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

::looks up from his fresh spammer kill::  Oh a trouble maker eh?  We have ways of dealing with your kind here.  First kill me 50 bog rats, then fetch me the Wreath of Odin.  THEN we'll talk.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

Hereís one. Let the grinding begin!

Posted Image

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15757 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

You can easily see why I want them dead can't you.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Frigidmanô

Frigidmanô

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3006 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:44 AM

The delay is an internal hard set number SOMEWHERE in the code. Couldn't find it adjustable in the config files.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15757 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:00 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 19 February 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

The delay is an internal hard set number SOMEWHERE in the code. Couldn't find it adjustable in the config files.
I was digging through the control panels and couldn't find a setting.  I found though that if you change computers or IP's it considers it a new session for security reasons.  Is that a factor nagromme?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

That could be possible: maybe people without a static IP get logged out automatically? Sounds like an unfixable issue if soóbut I can test later by forcing a new IP! Stay tuned...

My impression, though, is that I have never noticed it logging me out in just a day or soóand youíd think if it were the IP, Iíd have noticed that some time. It seems to be time-releated.

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7183 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

View Postnagromme, on 19 February 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

That could be possible: maybe people without a static IP get logged out automatically? Sounds like an unfixable issue if so—but I can test later by forcing a new IP! Stay tuned...
I don't think so: I switch around between 3 different ISPs, depending on from where I go into the internet and partly come to this forum from different computers. I rarely have to log in again. I guess it's really the expiry date of the cookies. According to Safari, my current log-in cookie here expires on February 28, so it's probably only valid for 10 days or so.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15757 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

At the very bottom of this page is a "Delete My Cookies" link.  Click on that and see if it's not caused by old or corrupt cookies.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#10 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:53 AM

Cookies deleted! Will see if it repeats.

#11 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

Belated follow-up: cookie deletion didnít help. Iím still logged out every time I come back and try to post here.

I donít think itís a bug, just that I donít post super often. The current short logout time (a week? two?) discourages occasional contributors from participating. Maybe that setting is accessible somewhere? A month or three would be great!

Iíll probably never be a daily regular, but I bet a lot of people like me keep this site (and forums) as a bookmark for repeated ongoing use, even if we only post once a month or something.

#12 Frigidmanô

Frigidmanô

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3006 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, I have a "Daily Jam" button on my browser, which loads many forums in, I rarely read the new posts, but it loads them, so it keeps my session active in them all. Even though my actual POSTING is months between.

I understand what you mean, but its not something I can actually change, as there isn't a config setting for it. I wont dig into the bowels of IPB code for it.

At least it doesn't log you out after 1 day like some sites I USED to visit (which don't anymore, cause as you say, logging in each time is a pain).

Not sure what else to suggest. Its just IPB's way of "SECUREOMGWTF"... personally I don't see why it should matter. If someone hacked your laptop to use a auto-login cookie in a browser to some forum site... you have a LOT MORE to worry about. So why they make cookies die after like a week (?), is kind of stupid imo.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#13 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

Good idea. You could also make it one of your Safari ďTop SitesĒ maybe?

Just thought Iíd report it in case itís configurableóthanks for trying!

#14 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15757 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:47 PM

And we'll stick to this story until you produce the Wreath of Odin!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#15 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:42 AM

The auto-logout happened in just 1 day this time. Maybe thereís some bug? I did clear my cookies, to no avail.

Oh, well. Just thought I should report it!

#16 Frigidmanô

Frigidmanô

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3006 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

In just one day?

Hrm. I was away for three and I was still logged in.

Wonder if its security is just being picky with you or something. Maybe your ISP changes huge ip blocks on you really often. Hell if I know.

-Fm [1oM7]

#17 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

No biggie, I just like to report accurately, if Iím going to report something :)

(If the login is IP-tied, that might explain everything! My IP does change.)

#18 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

For what it’s worth, the new forums also don’t let the browser remember your password (Safari 5, at least) compounding the issue.

I wish I knew what voodoo made browsers recognize a login for storage! It used to be just two fields, one named “password,” would do it. Not so simple anymore I guess.