Attack of the Clones

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: What did you think of Attack of the Clones? (2 member(s) have cast votes)

What did you think of Attack of the Clones?

1. Thumbs Up! (46 votes [88.46%])

Percentage of vote: 88.46%

2. Thumbs Down! (6 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 May 2002 - 04:33 PM

So, now that Attack of the Clones is out, let's hear it. Was it cool? Better than episode 1? Please, no spoilers!

Tuncer

PS. I'm seeing it Friday, so I have no opinion yet :)
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#2 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Verbal Windbag

• IMG Writers
  • 4227 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 04:42 PM

Awesome!  Every problem from Episode I is fixed!  The only drawback is that there isn't much new music.
Former Senior Hardware Editor
InsideMacGames.com

#3 Lucian

Lucian

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3028 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 07:06 PM

It r0x0r3d my b0x0rz.

I know that makes no sense, but that's the point.
I live in Mexifornia.

#4 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 07:10 PM

Just saw it in digital at the Boston Common theater.

Digital is definitely the wave of the future, but the technology has a ways to go. Colors were oversaturated, and I agree that film stock is "warmer" in tone.

I give "Clones" a C+. If you can suffer through the first hour-and-a-half of horrible dialog, basil exposition, and painful "love" scenes, the last 30 mins. or so is pretty cool.

Atticus

#5 :dustbuster:

:dustbuster:

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 08:38 PM

Heh, saw it last night at midnight and it rocked.  My expectations couldn't have been lower, but wow, I had an awesome time.  Yeah the acting is wooden and there is barely a memorable line [and lots of spin-your-head hideous love poetry?!?] but man, after the first scene I just realized that this is a straight up cartoon, and enjoyed the entire thing.

A million times better than episode one, and swear to god, there is a moment at the end that had half the audience on their feet screaming "OH MY GOD" over and over...

you'll know it when you see it.

;-)

#6 Grub

Grub

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 08:51 PM

Good Points: the music, the effects, much less Jar Jar

The Bad: The writing, the acting, the direction, Jar Jar is still in it and Anakin is just as annoying (if not more so) than he was in Episode 1.

Yes, it's better than Episode 1 overall, but what isn't? Grade: C-

#7 ToonmaN

ToonmaN

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 09:15 PM

Didn't see it and probably wont see it untill it comes out on DVD in 2003 or so.  Why?  The one and only movie place closed down after showing LoTR.  Before you say just drive to another town, I live on an island in Alaska.  Sorry 'bout bitchen' but my town bites, no brodband even.
-toon

#8 Snafu1

Snafu1

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 09:28 PM

Something like the above was my favourite line from an Obi-wan-hynotised 'death-sticks' dealer.

Saw it; loved it; will go back again in a few weeks--it was a midnight session and I had to sit right down the front. Made me want to rush home and play SW: Galactic Battlegrounds, but it's still at 'Final Candidate' over at Westlake. The battle scenes are terrific and George Lucas obviously went to see 'Gladiator' and 'Fellowship of the Ring' at some stage.

All the comments about the acting are right-on. There are no Mark Hamils; Harrison Fords; nor Carrie Fishers in sight. Still, Natalie Portman looks fantastic and Yoda is the slickest dude imaginable with a lightsabre. What's the collective noun for Jedhi? A 'temple'? Anyway, seeing a whole bunch of them going into combat is stirring.

#9 Revolution

Revolution

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2002 - 11:13 PM

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed episode II. I would have to say the main battle was the coolest part or the Jedi (the action in other words). I was very pleased with it and I can't wait til Episode III. Also do we know if Clone Campaigns for Galactic Battlegrounds will be coming to Mac? I can't wait til that comes out either.

#10 a2daj

a2daj

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 12:07 AM

Didn't see it and probably wont see it untill it comes out on DVD in 2003 or so.  Why?  The one and only movie place closed down after showing LoTR.  Before you say just drive to another town, I live on an island in Alaska.  Sorry 'bout bitchen' but my town bites, no brodband even.
-toon

Sitka?

#11 Biablo

Biablo

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2133 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 12:20 AM

It r0x0r3d my b0x0rz.

I know that makes no sense, but that's the point.

I understood enough to be scared :)
Simulation Train Groping Booths: 3rd largest sector of the Japanese economy

#12 menocu

menocu

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 01:33 AM

I was in awe. The film is definitly for the hard core fans. Just amazing to understand where everything comes from. I really enjoyed the political stuff, but i'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. Highly recommend it for the true fan, those who still love the original episode IV. Can't wait for the next one. It has only begun!

#13 4.Pack

4.Pack

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 02:17 AM

good film, worth seeing just for the incredibly hot and fit Natalie Portman, who can blame him huh!! I think Yoda must also be pulling some kind of disability insurance scam though.

I thought there was just a bit too much CGI in it though, the clone troopers didn't look or move all that realistically and there was a lack of interaction between the actors and them. (like when Amidalia is lyeing in the desert, a human would have helped her up, the cgi could only watch then run off, it was like watching yet another intro to a game).

Good but doesn't beat ESB or ROTJ imo

Be good to see III seeing now how the stormtroopers and star destroyers are developing

#14 kraahl

kraahl

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 07:14 AM

I really like the ending...
when you hear that Empire/darth vader music and see all those clones.
You can see how the republic is becoming the emipre, the ships start to get ther triangular shapes as well.
Definately better than ep. 1

#15 Tuncer (IMG)

Tuncer (IMG)

Pimpbot 5000

• Admin
  • 923 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 08:00 AM

Hey! No Spoilers! :)
Tuncer
Inside Mac Games

Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/tuncerdeniz

#16 Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 08:02 AM

Not to go too 'deep', but all reviews are based in what you expect from a movie.  If you expect great special effects, a little intrigue and are dying to find out the backstory to Star Wars, you will absolutley love Attack of the Clones.

If you want a stirring love story or a clear insight into what turns a small boy into a heartless killer-get the Sundance Channel.

#17 Alamo Melt

Alamo Melt

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 08:52 AM

The "Love Story" dialouge is terrible, well it's good for a laugh, and the whole "romance" is clearly happening because it's supposed to, not because it's believable.

But the movie overall was FUN and that's really enough. Especially since Episode 1 wasn't even that.

#18 kraahl

kraahl

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 09:31 AM

Hey! No Spoilers! :)

sorry

#19 gromit

gromit

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 04:13 PM

I thought there was just a bit too much CGI in it though, the clone troopers didn't look or move all that realistically and there was a lack of interaction between the actors and them. (like when Amidalia is lyeing in the desert, a human would have helped her up, the cgi could only watch then run off, it was like watching yet another intro to a game).

I'm pretty sure that Clone Trooper was a guy in a suit.  In fact, I am willing to bet most of the Troopers were real people, especially the ones shot in closeup.  A lot of them were, no doubt, digitally duplicated a number of times to fill out those massive armies, but there would be no reason to waste animator man-hours on characters for whom you can just build a practical costume.  As for lack of interaction, did you not see Obi-Wan and Dexter Jettster hugging--shot from both sides?

As for the movie, I was really disappointed.  There were some great visuals, yes, but even more problems.  Yoda's duel was far too cartoony for my comfort, and several whole sequences just seemed like they were grafted onto what might have, at some point, been a marginally coherent plot.  In particular, the droid factory setpiece served no purpose (other than, perhaps, the bit involving Anakin's arm) and the scenes on Tatooine were completely out of left field, when they did not need to be.  With all the villains and hazards in this movie, why did the events on Tatooine have to seem so completely arbitrary?  I could go on and on, but I'll spare you.

I wanted to like this film, and after TPM, my expectations weren't terribly high.  Even so, I really felt let down when the lights came back up.

Gromit

#20 Anders

Anders

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 07:38 PM

I thought it was pretty good although I must agree that the whole love scene stuff is a bit much once you get to the "real" Star Wars it is very very very good. I would say more but no spoilers.

Also I thought Anikin was a little punk and someone needed to kill him...but maybe that's what they wanted you to think ;-).