Heroes of Newerth

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TrueGamer

TrueGamer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

For anyone whom has not tried Heroes of Newerth, You might want to give it a go. The game is similar to DOTA... well actually it was spawned from it moreso, but it has lots more features and is a lot more pleasing on the eyes. LoL was cool moreso because it's free (but it looks like it should be free anyway) and is good for noobs or people whom are real serious gamers, as it just takes farming to win no real skills. HoN, however, is more action packed and relies more on people cooperating as a team effort playing their designated roles than for everyone playing to be the hero.

Anyways, they have three versions being 1. Windows, 2.MAC, and 3.Linux

The game is very addictive and I've played over 1500 games of it so far [at least 3-5 a day it seems]. Yes it has a learning curve, but what good game doesn't? If you have heard of it or you just plan to check it out, go through here and you will receive bonus Goblin Coins with your purchase. [Yes it is a ref link, but you MUST go through a ref link to get the bonus promotions on top of the regular promotions] If you don't like referrals, then just go to the site regular and sacrifice the bonuses, makes no difference... point is just get the gamePosted Image You'll enjoy it if you are into fun RTS games, I promise.

Be warned... the community is a harsh one, so don't go if you have a weak mindset and can't take being called racial slurs, out of your name, etc. by people whom feel like a death, failed game, or failed plan is your fault. When you're doing great they love you, but one mistake and they cry like babies in the most immature fashion you'll probably ever see in your life, lol. Once you get to higher rankings, you're generally dealing with more adult minded people whom take it more serious and speak more to encourage you and help you play better, but in the 1500 and early 1600 psr range, expect to be tormented with the nonsense... usually by weaker players or people whom have got their current stats by stealing kills.

Wow...I rambled, but yeah. It's a great game! LOL. If you just want to try it, go through the link I put above and when the page loads, replace the "create_account.php"  with "trial.php" and you will get to a non-advertised page where you can get a free trial good for 10 games.

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

View PostTrueGamer, on 22 January 2011 - 11:57 AM, said:

It's a great game! LOL.
Trying to score free points for yourself, and then you end up doing advertising for the competing game..  :P
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#3 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

Shameless plug for the referral program, but I don't overtly blame you for trying either. 500 coins aren't easy to earn ;)

The game is fun though, and I find myself coming back to it in stints until I feel I get a little tired of it. Going back to it again I like to try some new heroes, or there will have been patches or a new map so it keeps things fresh.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#4 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:22 AM

It is way too addictive for me.. After 5 games straight I don't enjoy the game very much, but I can't stop playing.. It is nasty.. Had to give the misses my password.. :S
"They're everywhere!"

#5 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 24 January 2011 - 02:22 AM, said:

It is way too addictive for me.. After 5 games straight I don't enjoy the game very much, but I can't stop playing.. It is nasty.. Had to give the misses my password.. :S

I have spent entire weekends planning all sorts of grand things, only to end up playing HoN for 2 days straight more or less.

Its horribly addicting, I've really had to regulate myself so I can actually get work and other things done :P
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#6 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Steam Name:HulkPunchedThor

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

I was about to start a new thread, but since I wasn't my usual lazy self (:P) and did a proper search, I get to dust the cobwebs off of this one.

So, just curious if anyone plays this game. I started playing ARTS (or MOBAs if you prefer) with vanilla DotA. My friends all moved on to LoL when it and HoN surfaced, so I followed them. I kept hearing, though, that HoN was much closer in spirit to DotA - and, unfortunately, LoL just wasn't scratching that itch I had for old-school DotA play. I finally bought HoN (before it was F2P) and absolutely fell in love with it. While it has mutated into it's own beast, it is still very true to its roots. The changes and tweaks that have been made, though, are mostly for the better (IMHO).

As the OP states, the community is VERY harsh and has rightfully earned a reputation as one of the worst in all of multiplayer gaming. Many people blame DotA for promoting this behavior, but HoN players haven't done anything to rectify the problem. I have a pretty stiff spine and a lot of patience, so I never find myself raging or getting caught up in the drama, though I would like to find some laid back people to play with.

Truthfully, I'm only a mediocre player, but I listen to my teammates, take advice when (constructively) given, and will happily play whatever role needs filled in a given game. I usually fluctuate between 1500 and 1600 MMR, but I find it hard to break out of this bracket without friends to play with. I play on USW, and can try USE, but being in Alaska might cause me to get some bad lag on occasion if I play on those servers. If anyone is interested, send me a PM to one of my two accounts in game:

Main: D3ad13
Sub-account: Wobblefoot

#7 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostWumpus, on 24 January 2011 - 10:50 PM, said:

I have spent entire weekends planning all sorts of grand things, only to end up playing HoN for 2 days straight more or less.

Its horribly addicting, I've really had to regulate myself so I can actually get work and other things done :P
Yeah.. I ended up giving my account away, as seen it another thread on these forums. Took too much time away.
"They're everywhere!"

#8 Wobblefoot

Wobblefoot

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Steam Name:HulkPunchedThor

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 22 March 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

Yeah.. I ended up giving my account away, as seen it another thread on these forums. Took too much time away.

I agree, it is horribly time consuming. I hate to see what Dota 2 is going to do to me...  :whistling:

#9 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:21 AM

View PostWobblefoot, on 22 March 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

I agree, it is horribly time consuming. I hate to see what Dota 2 is going to do to me...  :whistling:
Don't do it man!  :cool:
"They're everywhere!"

#10 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1435 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

I think the computer gaming gods have kept me out of the Dota 2 Beta for my own good.

I'm still cursing them and wanting in though :P