#1 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to do video clips of games, as well as eventually do video reviews. However Vid. reviews wouldn't get posted here on IMG until the site upgrade gets done, which is..well who knows when. But I wanted to get a start on it anyway. I've made a youtube channel here. Everything is in HD if you want to view it at 1280x720. No reviews in there yet, just game clips.

But the longer time idea behind this is to show off clips of games, have video previews, reviews, or if someone just wants to get an idea of how a game looks and plays. While I realize you could just punch  this into google or youtube and find it elsewhere, I think its more fun when its done by someone here, and you know its running on a Mac. I thought I could take requests if someone wants to see a game demo'ed or played. What would also be fun is if anyone wants to participate I'd be glad to share the account info for uploads. Also thinking I could eventually do commentaries, or if we ever get a more centralized place for IMG'ers to play vs each other (vent, teamspeak etc) there could be a tournament or matches and such.

Let me know what you guys thing, if this is something you care to see more of (in its current form and future ideas) or it doesn't interest you. I was thinking to keep things around the 5 minute range, although a few of my clips in the channel now are 10-11 minutes. What's a good video length on average? More like "trailer" size, or "first 10 minutes" sort of thing. I assume both could be done to keep things interesting.

I plan on adding clips of Borderlands soon, as well as a few other games i have pending to play. (Dragon Age, Civ V, some indie titles.)
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15611 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

Demo Stunt Copter!  Play the original Hawaii Five-O theme music in the background, that seems to make everything more kickass.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

As requested

And yes, I haven't played the game in some 15 odd years, so many a stunt man perished upon the ground, or found themselves colliding with the horse or driver.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#4 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15611 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

I just wet my pants.  Only in a good way.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2581 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

I just saw this thread now, great idea wumpus

If you guys need another reviewer I'd be willing to do a game or two
- Snake

Tulkas - 8 Xeon Cores @ 2.8 GHz || 16 GB RAM || ATi 4870  ||  512 GB Crucial M500 + 2 TB WD Black || OS X Mavericks
Odinheim - AMD FX-8320 @ 4.1 GHz || 16 GB RAM || GTX 760  || 120 GB Vertex 4 + 1 TB Seagate SSHD || Win 7 Pro x64

#6 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:02 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 16 January 2011 - 06:39 PM, said:

I just wet my pants.  Only in a good way.
Posted Image

View PostSneaky Snake, on 19 January 2011 - 08:23 PM, said:

I just saw this thread now, great idea wumpus
Thanks, I'm pretty excited about it, lots that can be done. As soon as I get some more time, I also want to do like a "first 10 minutes" of BioShock because the intro is pretty awesome. Also CoD Modern Warfare, which while not new, is still exciting and impressive.

I thought I would make categories for the YouTube channel once I get more clips. Like "Indies" "Shooters" "RTS" etc.

View PostSneaky Snake, on 19 January 2011 - 08:23 PM, said:

If you guys need another reviewer I'd be willing to do a game or two
I'll PM you with some more questions/info regarding that, but yes, more reviewers are always welcome even if its just a game or two. We've got quite the list pending. There is really only 3 regular reviewers, including me so sometimes it can go pretty slow.

#7 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

I have so many games  I want to take video of. Including what I've said so far above, I want to add Trine, Left 4 Dead/L4D2, TF2, Portal, Indie stuff like Machinarium, Cortex Command, etc. (Basically everything in the HIB #2.)

If anyone is up for recording anything, I'd be glad to add it to the channel. I'm so busy with work these days its hard to do it, but I'll get it all done eventually!

#8 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3662 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

View PostWumpus, on 22 January 2011 - 06:17 PM, said:

I have so many games  I want to take video of. Including what I've said so far above, I want to add Trine, Left 4 Dead/L4D2, TF2, Portal, Indie stuff like Machinarium, Cortex Command, etc. (Basically everything in the HIB #2.)

If anyone is up for recording anything, I'd be glad to add it to the channel. I'm so busy with work these days its hard to do it, but I'll get it all done eventually!
I will be having a lot of free time for the next couple of weeks, so I would be happy to help in uploading videos of some games.

There is only one catch...how would I go about recording the games?

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#9 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

View PostThe Liberator, on 22 January 2011 - 07:32 PM, said:

There is only one catch...how would I go about recording the games?
Interestingly enough there is a thread on this that is recent.

Personally I use ScreenFlow, but that's a paid program. Apparently you can use QuickTime or QTX to record, but I haven't done it.

If you have some free time maybe we could get you on the podcast for an episode or two as well.

#10 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3662 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:12 AM

View PostWumpus, on 22 January 2011 - 08:17 PM, said:

Interestingly enough there is a thread on this that is recent.

Personally I use ScreenFlow, but that's a paid program. Apparently you can use QuickTime or QTX to record, but I haven't done it.

If you have some free time maybe we could get you on the podcast for an episode or two as well.
Well this is possibly going to be troublesome. I do not need a screen recorder, so there is no way I am going to buy one. If anyone knows a free recorder, or if I can find one, that I will happily capture a few (Source engine) games.

Liberator.

P.S. I would be happy to be on the podcast.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#11 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:37 AM

Okay, two new videos up, of course in HD as always:

First off, we have Trine - The First Ten Minutes. Enjoy!

Oddly enough it did run a little choppy, though I was running and recording at 2560x1440, which I don't think would be a problem (I can record Assassins Creed 2 without an issue) but my computer had been running all day with lots of programs, so a restart before recording would probably help. And yes, I suck as the Wizard, the Thief is really the only character I like.

Next up, Heroes of Newerth, 4 minutes of highlights from a match I played vs. the S2 Game devs and some other game journalists. It was fun. I'm Witch Slayer and Puppet Master in the video for those of you who know who those heroes are. If you don't, then you can get an idea of what the game and some fights are like. Since this is taken from the recordings (every match is recorded) there's no interface showing.

Plan to have more content coming soon, probably some more indie games.

#12 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2931 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

Could be great with some kind of associated Mac games wiki, hosted here at IMG...
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#13 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 18 February 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

Could be great with some kind of associated Mac games wiki, hosted here at IMG...

I don't quite follow, could you elaborate upon your idea? Why would a video channel need a wiki?

#14 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

I've added a few minute video of Splinter Cell: Conviction to the channel. I plan on adding one or two Deniable Ops (a gameplay mode) videos as well. I started but totally fudged the level so want to redo it. Otherwise I'll have some indie footage coming up. Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Creavures and maybe something else.

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15611 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

How about Borderlands?
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:55 AM

I've been planning on doing some Borderlands clips, haven't gotten around to it yet as I haven't played in awhile. But I have some good high level characters I could show off, and some fun areas. Will do it soon.

#17 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Haven't touched this in awhile, but want to revive it a bit.

I currently have a bunch of games I could show off. Bioshock 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Company of Heroes, Dungeon Defenders, Darkness 2 (soon) Trine 2. Nuclear Dawn (personal favorite.) Kung Fu Killforce. The Witcher (soon'ish) Diablo 3 (next month) and Serious Sam 3 when its out (also next month.)

Any specific interest in the above games or something else? I never did get around to Borderlands and probably won't at this point. I think I deleted the game but still have my saves.

#18 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2931 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

View PostWumpus, on 18 February 2011 - 12:24 PM, said:

I don't quite follow, could you elaborate upon your idea? Why would a video channel need a wiki?
Merely hints/descriptions/mods/whatever of Mac games, along with video reviews.

I like your stuntcopter video. That game was awesome.. But I can't imagine playing it at your resolution.. ;)
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#19 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1428 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 17 March 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

Merely hints/descriptions/mods/whatever of Mac games, along with video reviews.
I like your stuntcopter video. That game was awesome.. But I can't imagine playing it at your resolution.. ;)
You're talking about Game Guides as far as I can tell. The wiki was throwing me off, as I find those are more merely informative about games over necessarily offering specific tips and tricks. I think it could be useful in some cases, but overall I'd rather do game specific guides. That being said IMG has no particularly good structure for those as you can only go page by page, not present a table of contents in which to pick and choose what to read/view.

I think the wiki can serve a purpose, but offhand a lot of wiki info is usually available on a developer/games website. Not always the case I know, but fairly often. It would be certainly be useful, but require a lot of upkeep. That's why game guides appeal to me more since I'd just write it once for the game and be done.

Also stunt copter is fun :P It is a bit..small at 2560x1440. I shrunk the video to 1280x720 though after. Any interest in the games I mentioned otherwise?

#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15611 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'm interested in Bioshock 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Kung Fu Killforce. The Witcher and Serious Sam 3
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat