Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

Yeah actually now that you mention it I did notice some performance improvement even going from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 however in 10.6.4 with the SLGU I did notice some types of shadow mapping such as the one they use in darkplaces engine and Virtual Programming's Riddick port where rendering incorrectly there. On models it looked spotty and grainy rather than smooth continuous shadows as it normally looks and in the world it looked broken up with stripes\spottyness but that was fixed in 10.6.5. It's interesting to think though that shadows could be better behaved under OS X than in windows.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#42 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:18 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 26 November 2010 - 12:10 PM, said:

About Vsync I generally with most games turn it on as I HAVE encountered tearing on my system with it off and for me the speed hit wasn't as bad as the tearing I'd get with it off but obviously I haven't played Feral's Borderlands yet so we'll see.

I can live with tearing, indeed after i while i even didn't see it anymore. I can't live with low fps!
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#43 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:59 PM

View PostMister Mumbles, on 15 December 2010 - 12:46 AM, said:

I enabled iron-sight toggling. Having to hold down the right button got fraking annoying really fast. Not sure if something needs to be a bit tweaked there though as sometimes I have to click right twice for it to toggle on. I wonder if that last "Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="ToggleAimOn")" is a superfluous bit of code. I shall play around with it some more tomorrow.

How's it coming along? I'm wishing it was a menu option.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#44 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:54 AM

I tinkered around with it a bit but it's still requiring two clicks at times. *shrug* Still better than having to hold the right button down.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#45 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:46 AM

View PostMister Mumbles, on 16 December 2010 - 12:54 AM, said:

I tinkered around with it a bit but it's still requiring two clicks at times. *shrug* Still better than having to hold the right button down.

Send me your edited ini file or the line numbers and what you have edited in a PM and I will see if I can have a look and see if I can have it added as a user selectable option in a patch. Same goes for any ini tweaks for BioShock I cannot guarantee we will use them but if you sent them over we will have a look.

Edwin

#46 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:50 AM

Is that all you did? I edited the WillowInput.ini file after backing it up, copy/pasted the text, started Borderlands... no go- still had to hold down the right mouse button. I wasn't happy [about that not working] but decided to go ahead with my game. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, I'm actually enjoying the single player quite a bit. I'm only a level 17 soldier.
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#47 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:39 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 16 December 2010 - 03:50 AM, said:

Is that all you did? I edited the WillowInput.ini file after backing it up, copy/pasted the text, started Borderlands... no go- still had to hold down the right mouse button. I wasn't happy [about that not working] but decided to go ahead with my game. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, I'm actually enjoying the single player quite a bit. I'm only a level 17 soldier.

Try and follow these instructions on your ini file. The file you are looking to edit is in the following location.

~/Library/Preferences/Feral\ Interactive/Borderlands/MacInit/WillowInput.ini (~ means your home folder)

Edwin

#48 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:34 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 16 December 2010 - 04:39 AM, said:

Try and follow these instructions on your ini file. The file you are looking to edit is in the following location.

~/Library/Preferences/Feral\ Interactive/Borderlands/MacInit/WillowInput.ini (~ means your home folder)

Edwin

Thanks again... it's a no-go, though. Yeah, I hadn't had to hunt down that elusive Feral Interactive folder since I was tweaking Bioshock so I made Aliases for each and slapped them in Bioshock's and Borderlands' folder.

I placed in the replacement code:
Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="ZoomIn",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

...and placed:
Bindings=(Name="ZoomIn",Command="advancedbutton bAdvancedButtonAux5 | StartAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ZoomOut",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="ZoomOut",Command="StopAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ZoomIn",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

...at the end of the "Bindings=..." list, as suggested by the page.

#49 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

Well, I have received my copy of Borderlands from Feral and so far it seems as though the performance is more or less the same as with my wrapped version using a recent wrapper. The game also runs the same settings and looks identical image quality\wise. If there is any performance or feature benefits in the feral port they are imperceptible to me. At least not that I can't attribute to my imagination. However it took many revisions before the wrapped version got to the level it's at so it's pretty impressive that Feral's is this way out of the box.

One of these is wrapped the other native...can you tell which one is which in this taste test? ;) (Yes, I loaded the same savegame in both)
[Screenshot A] [Screenshot B]

The one area where there is a very noticable improvement in feral's version is the sound.... it's the first Feral game that I now of that supports multichannel surround sound if you have it setup in audio midi setup. I'm pretty impressed by this sound support even more so than Assassin's Creed II which was previously the best supporting game I had.

By the way all the tweaks I used to use in my wrapped version including the right click zoom in thing work just fine for me in feral's port.

Turning on vsync in feral's port doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever in fact it kind of seems like it ignores that value the game still has the same amount of tearing either way. Vsync seems to work in my wrapped version and with no performance penalty that I can detect as there's no tearing there. However at this point even just the sound support alone makes me want to play feral's port more. I wish more feral games had sound support like this one does.. especially Bioshock.
--Tetsuo

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#50 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 16 December 2010 - 07:33 AM, said:

I wish more feral games had sound support like this one does.. especially Bioshock.

This is a new sound library (created initially for the universal patch for Rome TW) so it will be in newer Feral ports (like Borderlands) but not the older ones.

Edwin

#51 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:46 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 16 December 2010 - 07:33 AM, said:

One of these is wrapped the other native...can you tell which one is which in this taste test? ;) (Yes, I loaded the same savegame in both)
[Screenshot A] [Screenshot B]
These links don't seem to work.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#52 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

Runs perfect for me on max settings and resolution, but that's also on my new iMac. Still working on Supreme Commander 2 before I can fully dive into this, but initial impressions are great in terms of performance. Will try it out on my MBP sometime.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#53 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 16 December 2010 - 08:46 AM, said:

These links don't seem to work.
Yeah my internet connection has been giving me troubles this morning and dropbox is taking forever to upload those files. Should work now.
--Tetsuo

the Battle Cat said:

#54 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:57 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 16 December 2010 - 03:50 AM, said:

Is that all you did? I edited the WillowInput.ini file after backing it up, copy/pasted the text, started Borderlands... no go- still had to hold down the right mouse button.

All I had to do is do as what you posted in your very first post here:

Find Under The "[Engine.PlayerInput]" Section: Code: Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="advancedbutton bAdvancedButtonAux5")

Replace With: Code: Bindings=(Name="ToggleAimOn",Command="advancedbutton bAdvancedButtonAux5 | OnRelease StartAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ToggleAimOff")
Bindings=(Name="ToggleAimOff",Command="advancedbutton bAdvancedButtonAux5 | OnRelease StopAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ToggleAimOn")
Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="ToggleAimOn")

I'm not sure exactly what I have to do so I don't have to double-click at times, but it works. I'm too scared to play around with the code too much since I'd expect to bork something up that way.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#55 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

View PostMister Mumbles, on 16 December 2010 - 10:57 AM, said:

All I had to do is do as what you posted in your very first post here:

I'm not sure exactly what I have to do so I don't have to double-click at times, but it works. I'm too scared to play around with the code too much since I'd expect to bork something up that way.

I sent Omar my ini via a PM. Sent you the same file I use here at Feral as well via a PM.

Edwin

#56 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

My response to ed: This edit works fine. Thank you very much, Ed. I can see why it was said  that sometimes one might have to "click twice" to activate and  deactivate aiming down sight- there seems to be a general delay in  mouse-click reaction time, giving a short moment before clicking the  button again seems to work flawlessly as opposed to going "rapid fire"  on it. I'm wondering if it has something to do with mouse smoothing- as,  well, it usually does (ie; a warning box pops up in Starcraft II before  enabling mouse smoothing).

Thanks again!  

#57 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:38 PM

Quick question for those of you who have already received your copy of Borderlands... where did you order from? I pre-ordered directly from Feral. My copy shipped on the 9th but I've yet to see it. I'm wondering if it shipped from the U.K via balloon or something.

Thanks,
Bif

#58 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:17 AM

I ordered direct from Feral... I've been playing it for five days now...

#59 BifBologna

BifBologna

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:29 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 19 December 2010 - 01:17 AM, said:

I ordered direct from Feral... I've been playing it for five days now...

Hmmm.... might be gettin' grumpy. Where are you located? And, how was it shipped... mail? UPS? FedEX?

#60 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1423 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

View PostBifBologna, on 19 December 2010 - 01:29 AM, said:

Hmmm.... might be gettin' grumpy. Where are you located? And, how was it shipped... mail? UPS? FedEX?

New York- it was shipped via regular U.K. Air Mail in an envelope. I'm not quite sure if they might be able to provide package tracking.