• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Processed, Ready to Dispatch

AWESOME!

macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#22 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

I went to MacWorld's site and they had the nerve to entitle a link "Review: Borderlands for Mac" whilst it was really a review of Borderlands via OnLive!!! :angry:
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB

#23 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

What a load of crock that is. They even reviewed the OnLive box itself. I mean, seriously? What does that have to do with Mac, Apple products or related, or anything? Not a fraking thing. Just another reason why I don't bother with Macworld much anymore.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#24 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Dispatched

AWESOME[ER]!

I was remembering when I was bothering the sales people at J&R for days about whether they'd gotten Bioshock for Mac and no one in the Mac department seemed to know what the hell Bioshock even was (overpaid, indeed!). When I finally got a copy and was in the pickup area, after watching a bunch of SONY laptops get picked up they called out "Bioshock, Mac?"  Then one guys turned to his friend saying "Bioshock's out for Mac? I didn't even know that!"  This got me thinking about the difficulties Mac game publishers have concerning advertising their games to Mac gamers. I vaguely remember a short-lived, print Mac gaming magazine but that withered into oblivion faster than MacAddict, me thinks.

#25 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:48 AM

Yay! My copy also got dispatched yesterday. :D

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#26 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:22 AM

It would be viable provided no-one expected to get rich and there were a lot of volunteer writers prepared to support it for little remuneration or for free :) If there are still printed RISC OS magazines then Mac gaming is possible ;)

#27 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:56 AM

Whoa! Looks like its (RISC OS) GUI and Motif's are brothers!

#28 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

That's an interesting point about advertising to Mac gamers. I'm of the mindset that given the Mac gaming market is small compared to say the PC one, most Mac gamers would know what's coming out because usually its a big deal. (Like Bioshock, or say Borderlands.) There's only so many mac game sites, and they all report news. And even then a number of PC/Console centric sites such as Shacknews or Destructoid often post that Mac ports are coming.  I suppose if you're the type who just picks up a game every now and then for your Mac and doesn't pay attention to the greater Mac gaming "community" then it would slip by you. I'm sure there's some other variables in there, but that's my thoughts on it. Still advertising is good and should be done.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#29 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

...it can't help those potential buyers of Mac-native ports when the likes of MacWorld keep reviewing games like Assassin's Creed 2 and Borderlands via the OnLive gaming service.

#30 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

It's here! I had an early report for my job's medical assessment center, I came home and that bundle of joy was sitting behind the front door...:D üBeR JoY!

Like Bioshock you need the DVD in the drive to play, and UNLIKE Bioshock, once the serial number is entered you've the option of activating your copy/key code with Feral's servers which allows you to play without [either of] the DVDs in the drive (not activating requires either of the two discs be in the drive)! Gonna go mess with it... plan to report soon!

#31 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

*jealous* It's probably going to take another day or two to get to me since I'm on the West Coast.

#32 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

Nice! My copy was in the mail today – I'm installing while I'm posting here, but probably won't have the time to do much testing today. That the online activation is optional is a nice touch, especially for people who are living in a remote Himalayan cave or are completely paranoid regarding such online stuff.

EDIT: I managed a few minutes in-game, mainly watching the intro and the first part of the tutorial. The loading times are a tad long. I turned down the resolution a notch, but left everything else on the suggested settings (mainly on "high"!). The game runs great and looks awesome! Great job, Feral! :D

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#33 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

Two things I *.ini edited that I feel is giving a better experience; disabling mouse smoothing and enabling vsync. I tried turning all the graphic options in-game on but it started noticeably depreciating the framerate. Playing around with a couple of the shading and glowing options made the game play smoother and didn't kill the visual quality much. I really wonder if picking up a Radeon 5870 from Apple would make a difference... $404 via student discount. ;)

#34 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:46 AM

I was surprised that I actually got my copy today as well. The game plays quite well, though that add-on content installation took its sweet time. I'm quite grateful for the new online activation system - hopefully it will be bestowed on some older Feral titles as well. It's always great not having to bother with discs.

It's too bad I can't play with dynamic shadows on (quite the performance hog as usual), but I'm not surprised seeing as my iMac's card isn't exactly high-end. Even without all the bells and whistles, it's still looking pretty good.

I also manually disabled mouse smoothing, which makes a notable difference in playability. In addition, I enabled iron-sight toggling. Having to hold down the right button got fraking annoying really fast. Not sure if something needs to be a bit tweaked there though as sometimes I have to click right twice for it to toggle on. I wonder if that last "Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="ToggleAimOn")" is a superfluous bit of code. I shall play around with it some more tomorrow.

#35 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:42 AM

View PostUmarOMC1, on 14 December 2010 - 04:38 PM, said:

Playing around with a couple of the shading and glowing options made the game play smoother and didn't kill the visual quality much. I really wonder if picking up a Radeon 5870 from Apple would make a difference... $404 via student discount. ;)

The FAQ on the DVD has a list of the effects and which ones make the biggest impact on fps. I know Dynamic Shadows is the biggest killer by far (PC & Mac) but the FAQ has the full run down.

Edwin

#36 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:58 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 15 December 2010 - 03:42 AM, said:

I know Dynamic Shadows is the biggest killer by far (PC & Mac) but the FAQ has the full run down.
They appear to be in all UE3 games I played so far: UT 3, Mass Effect 1 and Batman AA are almost unplayable under Windows with dynamic shadows on my machine (13" MBP with 9400M). Without, they run pretty smooth.

#37 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:55 AM

I've had luck with the effects in UE3 engine games even running through a WINE compatibility layer on my hardware including dynamic shadows(especially with later revisions of the wrappers... and they only require 10.5.8 and don't use any 10.6.4 specific  things as far as I know) so I don't see why other macs with the same or better specs than mind shouldn't be able to. But then again I haven't recieved my copy of the native Borderlands but it should be better performance than my wrapped version shouldn't it? I can turn on all the effects on there just fine, depth of field, shadows, etc. etc.... yes all those features work there.. none are disabled. I'm discerning and can tell when things are not working and when they are. Some used to not work with previous wrappers but with later versions they do.

However, I don't play it at my native resolution (I play it at 1920x1080 instead) nor do I play any other UE3 based game beyond that resolution. So yeah, I'm surprised a Mac Pro like in UmarOMC's signature can't handle it especially considering the card should be better than what I have. Unless he is running it at 2560x1440 or something. The only bugs I have had with shadows are if I attempt to turn on anti-aliasing they render incorrectly in certain games like Mirror's Edge... so this doesn't exactly inspire confidence but like I said I haven't yet had the chance to try Feral's Borderlands. It's been dispatched however so I'm expecting it to arrive in my mail anytime now.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#38 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 15 December 2010 - 08:55 AM, said:

the native Borderlands but it should be better performance than my wrapped version shouldn't it?

Yes it performs better, it is also fully supported as it is an official port. :)

Edwin

#39 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:15 AM

Yeah, I now that's the caveat with using a WINE based compatibility layer for running games that one is pretty much on their own. I'm fine with this and  to be honest with you I hardly make use of support (in fact that one time where it turned out my bioshock plist file was corrupt and was affecting fort frolic somehow was the only time in many years I have.. but even then I ended up remedying the situation myself... both problems the crashing in Fort Frolic and the incorrect fog\glass rendering in the botany lab where fixed when I deleted the plist file and let it regenerate) but it's still nice to go official and I do whenever possible even if just to help support those who work on those official ports. Still I can't help to be somewhat concerned after reading reports such as UmarOMC1's. Although other ports from Feral have tended to perform well such as Bioshock. But on the one hand yeah I understand each game has different requirements it still stands that I have noticed good performance with things like dynamic shadows using other solutions on my hardware. So with something that's supposed to give better performance I would think I shouldn't have to disable such features. But I guess one may not be so lucky in life.  :bleedingeyes:

Still obviously I have to actually get a chance to try it before I pass judgement.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#40 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 15 December 2010 - 09:15 AM, said:

...ports from Feral have tended to perform well such as Bioshock. But on the one hand yeah I understand each game has different requirements it still stands that I have noticed good performance with things like dynamic shadows using other solutions on my hardware. So with something that's supposed to give better performance I would think I shouldn't have to disable such features. But I guess one may not be so lucky in life.  :bleedingeyes:

In a side by side bootcamp test by one of the programmers during development he noticed Dynamic Shadows on Windows had a larger (percentage) effect on the fps than on the Mac version running identical hardware. I have not spent ages on it but I am pretty sure this will still be the case, I think it was some of the new stuff available in 10.6.4 that allows the Dynamic Shadows on the Mac to be better behaved compared to the PC.

If anyone notices anything strange with performance feel free to contact support and we can have a look.

Edwin