I want a Re-Birth of F/A-18 OIF Mac

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wyclef

wyclef

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

back in the day, this game had a huge following and online community. i opened up my last copy of OIF and in all honesty it's still holds it's own. why graphsim has dropped the ball with this game over the years is beyond me as it's a rad game. i'd like to see a re-birth of the game with a focus more on the online aspect, flying with other people, etc. anyone out there want to try to multiplayer sometime? or know of any cool mods available?

#2 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6095 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:10 PM

I'm more a Falcon 4.0 man, but I'm guessing the reason is us flightsim fans are few and far between. Far more people want something that bridges the gap between realism like Falcon or Hornet and outright arcade like Afterburner or something, and thus exists the stable market for Ace Combat/HAWX. Which while good games in their own right, aren't flight sims... but flightsims don't make people money anymore it seems. I think GraphSim dropped the ball because it was no longer financially worth the effort to them. :(
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#3 wyclef

wyclef

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:02 PM

falcon 4.0 was cool but doesn't run as smoothly on my mac pro... you still running it? i think there should be some third party mods made for fa18 oif by people who know how to do so... i want to play online multiplayer again that game is cool

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:43 AM

*sigh* Yeah, a decent modern flight combat sim would be awesome. I'm still trying to get Falcon 4.0 run through CrossOver (the Mac version unfortunately no longer works due to the lack of the Classic environment), and though there has been progress (joysticks are finally supported! Yay!), there're still enough kinks to make that experience not really enjoyable.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1785 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:41 AM

Man F/A-18 OIF now there was a brilliant simulator. What other flight game takes over an hour for you to figure out how to effectively get the plan off the ground and not stall in the first two minutes.

#6 wyclef

wyclef

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

i definitely feel that falcon 4 was by far the better game however it required A LOT more knowledge to fully enjoy it where hornet was a bit easier to pick up IMO... anyone out there know anything about modding and updating these games? we should hook it up. i heard graphsim is going to be offering a mac version of falcon in the near future which could be cool but they seem to be deadbeats about mac flight sims so who knows when that could be. anyone want to connect on OIF sometime and fly around? i barely even remember the controls but it would be fun to play the game multiplayer again.

#7 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:28 AM

I've held on to Falcon 4.0 and all those books in the hopes I could one day play that bastard again! Too awesome!
macOS 10.13.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/16GB RAM/EVGA GTX1070 8GB