Jump to content


Borderlands (OnLive)


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Wumpus

Wumpus

    MacGameCast Host

  • IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus
  • Location:Indieland: Bastion & Lone Survivor.

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hello,

As a frequent OnLive user (and Borderlands player) I've got a mail from OnLive giving me three 3-day passes to play Borderlands. You can demo the game for 30 minutes normally, but no progress is saved. A 3 day Playpass is worth $6 so this is pretty cool, and of course all your gameplay and leveling is saved.  

The first three people to ask or PM for the codes get them. OnLive is free to signup, and its a tiny download for the app, then you are good to go.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3070 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:34 AM

Message send. :)
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#3 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:53 AM

View PostWumpus, on 17 November 2010 - 12:32 PM, said:

Hello,

As a frequent OnLive user (and Borderlands player) I've got a mail from OnLive giving me three 3-day passes to play Borderlands. You can demo the game for 30 minutes normally, but no progress is saved. A 3 day Playpass is worth $6 so this is pretty cool, and of course all your gameplay and leveling is saved.  

The first three people to ask or PM for the codes get them. OnLive is free to signup, and its a tiny download for the app, then you are good to go.

You can play offline using your very own Mac optimised copy of the game. You can even play against PC players online :) Sorry could not resist as we just announced Borderlands GOTY today.

Edwin

#4 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3305 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu
  • Location:Cyberspace

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:19 AM

And a nice surprise that is as well! UE3 on the Mac! More Pigs flying! Shock and awe!  :D  I like how it has all the expansion packs included. I've pulled the trigger and ordered my copy! Down with Onlive... down with WINE. ;)

The upcoming games radar is looking mighty outdated right now. ;)
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7


#5 Wumpus

Wumpus

    MacGameCast Host

  • IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus
  • Location:Indieland: Bastion & Lone Survivor.

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:09 AM

Wow Awesome! You know I was just looking at the Feral site yesterday under "upcoming releases" and "Dust Devil" really really looked like Borderlands (the small screenshot) but I couldn't be entirely sure. GO FERAL!!!

*edit* Will you be able to use PC saves by any chance? I've got a few high level characters from PC Borderlands...(and also OnLive already lol, but that can't be used.)
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#6 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:39 AM

View PostWumpus, on 18 November 2010 - 06:09 AM, said:

Wow Awesome! You know I was just looking at the Feral site yesterday under "upcoming releases" and "Dust Devil" really really looked like Borderlands (the small screenshot) but I couldn't be entirely sure. GO FERAL!!!

*edit* Will you be able to use PC saves by any chance? I've got a few high level characters from PC Borderlands...(and also OnLive already lol, but that can't be used.)

PC Save games work fine, in fact we used them a fair bit during development.

PC <-> Mac networking works great, I was playing on GameRanger with a few PC people yesterday. You just need to make sure they are fully patched to 1.41 which is the final PC patch (and the current Mac version).

#7 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3305 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu
  • Location:Cyberspace

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:54 AM

Hooray, then I'll be able to continue my savegame from my wrapped version!
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7


#8 Wumpus

Wumpus

    MacGameCast Host

  • IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus
  • Location:Indieland: Bastion & Lone Survivor.

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:11 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 18 November 2010 - 07:39 AM, said:

PC Save games work fine, in fact we used them a fair bit during development.

PC <-> Mac networking works great, I was playing on GameRanger with a few PC people yesterday. You just need to make sure they are fully patched to 1.41 which is the final PC patch (and the current Mac version).

Woohoo! Cross platform and save usage for the win! *head splodes from awesomeness*

OnLive actually suffers from underpopulation in Multiplayer, so being able to play with the (large) existing PC userbase is just totally sweet.
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#9 Wumpus

Wumpus

    MacGameCast Host

  • IMG Writers
  • 1436 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus
  • Location:Indieland: Bastion & Lone Survivor.

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:28 AM

Oh yeah, and I've got 2 more passes for Borderlands still. They expire on Wednesday, Nov. 24 at 11:59 p.m so get them while you can.

Think of it as an easy way to demo it so you can buy from Feral ;)
Mac Mumble Server! Join the fun! Address: macgamecast.mumbleserverhost.com Port: 32438
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#10 clocknova

clocknova

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Location:Charleston, SC

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

Will you guys be offering this up on Steam?  The PC version sells for the same amount, so that shouldn't be an issue.  Or can you at least offer us a plain digital download?  I stopped buying physical media quite some time ago.  For that matter, I'm still waiting for a Rome:TW download version.  And none of this "limited installs" nonsense, please.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#11 Tetsuya

Tetsuya

    Master Blaster

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1994 posts
  • Location:MI

Posted 18 November 2010 - 05:05 PM

Gah, i wish i'd heard about this.. a while ago.  

I purchased the game on PC quite some time ago... which means you're not gonna get a sale off of me, unfortunately, since i cant pay again for a game i already own.

#12 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:41 AM

View Postclocknova, on 18 November 2010 - 11:36 AM, said:

Will you guys be offering this up on Steam?  

No as we have mentioned before in the forums the current model Steam uses does not currently work for us. We would love to be on Steam and if things change we will let you all know.

View Postclocknova, on 18 November 2010 - 11:36 AM, said:

The PC version sells for the same amount, so that shouldn't be an issue.

See above

View Postclocknova, on 18 November 2010 - 11:36 AM, said:

Or can you at least offer us a plain digital download?  

The game will be shipping from a large number of Mac download retailers and the DVD version also has the ability to play without requiring a DVD in the drive just like the digital version by using a serial number.

View Postclocknova, on 18 November 2010 - 11:36 AM, said:

I stopped buying physical media quite some time ago.  For that matter, I'm still waiting for a Rome:TW download version.

It's coming soon :)

View Postclocknova, on 18 November 2010 - 11:36 AM, said:

And none of this "limited installs" nonsense, please.

You will be allowed to install and play on a maximum of 5 machines at once, you can deactivate one machine and activate a new machine at any time. This is a similar to iTunes and we think is pretty generous while reassuring our licensors that we are reducing piracy rates.

Edwin

#13 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7206 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:50 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 19 November 2010 - 03:41 AM, said:

The game will be shipping from a large number of Mac download retailers and the DVD version also has the ability to play without requiring a DVD in the drive just like the digital version by using a serial number.

You will be allowed to install and play on a maximum of 5 machines at once, you can deactivate one machine and activate a new machine at any time. This is a similar to iTunes and we think is pretty generous while reassuring our licensors that we are reducing piracy rates.
Oh, nice. Just wondering: will there be an online activation and if so, is there the possibility to play the game without an active internet connection?

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#14 clocknova

clocknova

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Location:Charleston, SC

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:43 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 19 November 2010 - 03:41 AM, said:



The game will be shipping from a large number of Mac download retailers and the DVD version also has the ability to play without requiring a DVD in the drive just like the digital version by using a serial number.

You will be allowed to install and play on a maximum of 5 machines at once, you can deactivate one machine and activate a new machine at any time. This is a similar to iTunes and we think is pretty generous while reassuring our licensors that we are reducing piracy rates.

Edwin

Cool.  I can live with this.  What I really hate is the DRM that gives you a limited number of installs, period.  Maybe you can call and they'll give you another one, but who knows?  Your method, plus not requiring the DVD for the physical version, sounds like a fair compromise.  I look forward to the digital downloads of all of your games!
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#15 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:53 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 19 November 2010 - 03:50 AM, said:

Oh, nice. Just wondering: will there be an online activation and if so, is there the possibility to play the game without an active internet connection?

Yes playing without the DVD requires a one time only activation after that you can play offline for ever.

View Postclocknova, on 19 November 2010 - 04:43 AM, said:

I look forward to the digital downloads of all of your games!

Once we make the full announcement I will go into more details but to reassure you our main thought when making this new DRM system was how can we design a system we would be happy to use ourselves and recommend to our friends. We found if you design something from this view point it usually turns out well. :)

Edwin

#16 clocknova

clocknova

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • Location:Charleston, SC

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:57 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 19 November 2010 - 04:53 AM, said:

Yes playing without the DVD requires a one time only activation after that you can play offline for ever.

Once we make the full announcement I will go into more details but to reassure you our main thought when making this new DRM system was how can we design a system we would be happy to use ourselves and recommend to our friends. We found if you design something from this view point it usually turns out well. :)

Edwin

Amen, brother.  Last question:  is there any way to make it so I can get a digital download of a game I already bought from you on DVD?  I speak specifically of Pirates! which does, I think, still require the DVD in the drive.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#17 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7206 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:24 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 19 November 2010 - 04:53 AM, said:

Yes playing without the DVD requires a one time only activation after that you can play offline for ever.
Excellent! :w00t:

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#18 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • Steam Name:Mister Mumbles
  • Location:Not here; not there; not anywhere!

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:24 AM

View Postclocknova, on 19 November 2010 - 04:57 AM, said:

Amen, brother.  Last question:  is there any way to make it so I can get a digital download of a game I already bought from you on DVD?  I speak specifically of Pirates! which does, I think, still require the DVD in the drive.

Or maybe just a similar way to activate them? I'd love that, too - it seems like I have more games from Feral than any other publisher right now. That is if you're bringing any of your previously published games into your upcoming download model as well. In any case, it's great to hear that you're embracing digital downloads without the silly activation restrictions a la Virtual Programming.

I'm definitely looking at the DVD version of Borderlands then since it makes for a much easier re-installation should one be needed.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#19 UmarOMC1

UmarOMC1

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1213 posts
  • Location:NYC

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

View Postedddeduck, on 18 November 2010 - 04:53 AM, said:

You can play offline using your very own Mac optimised copy of the game.

Edwin

This is my preferred way of playing games on my Mac! Actually, the only way...
OS X 10.10.x/Windows 7 Pro/2009 MacPro 4,1 Xeon W3580 3.33GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GTX680 2GB

#20 ikir

ikir

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir
  • Location:In front of my Mac

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:12 AM

Damn i wanted this one Steam :mellow: Congratulations to Feral anyway for another great game.
ikir's personal page
MacBook pro 13" retina 2013
i5 2,6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Iris graphics
Madcatz R.A.T. MMO7, Logitech K811