Aspyr Media to publish Sid Meier’s Civilization® V for MAC!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

Interesting they finally went the whole hog with Steam. I hope it works out for them - I'm sure other Mac games companies will be watching with interest!

#42 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1374 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

View Postdojoboy, on 23 November 2010 - 06:05 AM, said:

I got one as well here in the states saying the box version is "out-of-stock."  This better be a damn joke!  Not a single mention of this for weeks.

According to their twitter it was a mistake.

Also, they upgraded their system reqs excluding integrated chipsets, so that means Mac Mini and 13" MBPs are not supported. I wonder if it really matters, though--The ATI 2600 in my iMac and my 320m are roughly equal.

Edit: The 320m is listed as a supported card. Hmm...conflicting info.

#43 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:09 PM

View PostCougar, on 23 November 2010 - 12:40 PM, said:

Also, they upgraded their system reqs excluding integrated chipsets, so that means Mac Mini and 13" MBPs are not supported. I wonder if it really matters, though--The ATI 2600 in my iMac and my 320m are roughly equal.

According to Aspyr's page, only Intel integrated chipsets are not supported.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#44 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1374 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

Oh right. D'oh.

#45 martyjay75

martyjay75

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

View PostCougar, on 23 November 2010 - 12:40 PM, said:

According to their twitter it was a mistake.

I got two e-mails yesterday from gameagent.  One saying, like others had mentioned, that the Civ5 box that I pre-ordered was out of stock and had been backordered.  Later on the same day, I got the shipping notice.  So, apparently it's on its way.  Just hoping that my old 2007 iMac has just enough to run the game on the lowest settings.  My processor is just a tad below the specs I had seen (2.33 GHz), but I have enough VRam.  Time to get a new computer soon anyway, so either way I hope to be playing it soon.

#46 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

View Postmartyjay75, on 24 November 2010 - 09:36 AM, said:

I got two e-mails yesterday from gameagent.  One saying, like others had mentioned, that the Civ5 box that I pre-ordered was out of stock and had been backordered.  Later on the same day, I got the shipping notice.  So, apparently it's on its way.  Just hoping that my old 2007 iMac has just enough to run the game on the lowest settings.  My processor is just a tad below the specs I had seen (2.33 GHz), but I have enough VRam.  Time to get a new computer soon anyway, so either way I hope to be playing it soon.
If you have a 2.33GHz iMac then I'm guessing you have a 7600GT which is not supported by Civ V. You might want to check with Aspyr.

#47 martyjay75

martyjay75

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

View Postltcommander.data, on 24 November 2010 - 12:40 PM, said:

If you have a 2.33GHz iMac then I'm guessing you have a 7600GT which is not supported by Civ V. You might want to check with Aspyr.

No, its an ATI X1600 (256MBVRam).  Not listed as one of the supported chipsets, so, I'm not expecting it to work with the mac I've got now.  There might be other computers I can use in the mean time until I buy a new one.  I'm due to upgrade soon anyways.

#48 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

Wohoo! I got my copy today finally. My impression so far is not as bad as I expected. The performance isn't great, but no that much worse than the Windows demo I tried early. I'm roughly 200 rounds into a game on a standard size map, and so far, the game is still playable. Scrolling is a rather sluggish, though (especially when the game scrolls to reveal an event) and the interface is sometimes oddly slow (it takes a couple of seconds for the action button to switch to "Next Round" when nothing is left to do). No crashes or blatant bugs until now (well, except maybe some necessary optimisation of the performance). I still have to get a grasp on all the gameplay changes, but it's still undeniably Civilization.

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#49 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

Been looking to get into this, but no time at the moment. (Supreme Commander 2, Assassins Creed 2 and soon Borderlands will be occupying me for a while) but I haven't played a Civ game in 10 years, and even then it was a demo. I know there's a PC demo I could try, but I've never gotten around to loading it up in Boot Camp. I love strategy, but the only turn based strategy I've liked before is Master of Orion 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (didn't like IV, V was not bad.)  I'm normally an RTS player so hesitant to pick this up. Can anyone pitch Civ V to me? Why should I get it or be interested?
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#50 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:44 PM

How much difference do the hex fields make in the overall gameplay?
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#51 martyjay75

martyjay75

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

View PostMister Mumbles, on 04 December 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

How much difference do the hex fields make in the overall gameplay?

Got my copy on Wednesday.  I'd say the hex fields don't make as much of an impact as the inability to stack units.  The hex field is cool, but I haven't run into any situations where I have found it to be drastically different.

#52 pantherv

pantherv

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Steam Name:panthervca

Posted 11 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

im Finding the big thing i like about hex squares is you can box out other countries from quickly sneaking in and attacking a city that you have been working on.
what i dont care for is u can only build one unit per resource, although i think that will make for some more conflict as it makes strategic recources HUGELY important. I just get the feeling later on there will be way more spearmen and archers later in games, which is lame.
MP 2.66 QC/8GB/1TB WD Velicoraptor/10.8/GT120/Lacie 234 24in/1TB Gtech/Razer Black Widow Mac Edition Keyboard/Logitech G500 Mouse/Razer eXactMat.Audioengine A5 & A8 Speakers & Sub.
iPhone 4s/32GB/Speck Case
iPad Mini Retina 64

#53 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

I've heard Epic mode is almost too epic due to long turns. Then again,  I don't even know what epic mode is. I'm still really interested in this, but haven't got it yet.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#54 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8102 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:01 PM

I have to admit that I still haven't finished my first complete Civ V game (other obligations, Borderlands and DeathSpank took their toll), but I'm pretty far in. I'm playing on a standard sized map, with six other civs and roughly a dozen city states, I have 12 own cities and about 50 units. I had to turn basically ever setting down and the game definitely does not run very smooth – but it's completely playable (13" MBP, 4 GB RAM, 9400M and OS X 10.6.5). Only when the game scrolls to any event, it's still painfully slow (even after the patch).

I miss a few of features from Civ IV (mainly regarding diplomacy), but by and large, it's still a great game. Somewhat different, though. Nevertheless, after I finish the current game, I will probably wait until the Mac version is on par with at least the recent PC patch, since it re-introduced a couple of the things I miss.