Jump to content


Colin McRae Rally Mac Post-Processing to realtime?


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

    SiniScope Productions Inc

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Location:Ohio, USA

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:52 PM

I realize that Colin McRae Rally Mac is getting up there in the years. But to be honest, it is still one of my favorite rally games on any platform. But it is BY FAR the best rally game on the Mac imo! ;) I just have a question of the Feral team working on the patch (and I am realistic and do not expect a patch anytime soon as I work with a small developer on VGP3 and it has been 3 years and we are still in beta and I know CMRM is not at the top of your list). This stuff takes a crapload of time. :lol:

Sorry, back to the topic.... The depth of field post-processing effect during the replays is a great novelty. I know it adds nothing to the actual racing, but it sure makes for nice eye-candy. Is it possible that this effect could be rendered in realtime during the actual race? I ask this not having any idea how it is actually implemented in the game code. If this is not possible, I apologize for my ignorance. But if it is possible, could it be a quick enough addition to be implemented in the patch? I realize this is just a vanity addition. But I am definitely curious.

I would like to take this space to personally thank the Feral Interactive team for releasing good (realistic) racing games for the Mac. Toca 3 and Rally Mac are great even if they are getting up there.
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#2 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:07 AM

View PostJaguarGod, on 03 October 2010 - 06:52 PM, said:

I realize that Colin McRae Rally Mac is getting up there in the years. But to be honest, it is still one of my favorite rally games on any platform. But it is BY FAR the best rally game on the Mac imo! ;) I just have a question of the Feral team working on the patch (and I am realistic and do not expect a patch anytime soon as I work with a small developer on VGP3 and it has been 3 years and we are still in beta and I know CMRM is not at the top of your list). This stuff takes a crapload of time. :lol:

Sorry, back to the topic.... The depth of field post-processing effect during the replays is a great novelty. I know it adds nothing to the actual racing, but it sure makes for nice eye-candy. Is it possible that this effect could be rendered in realtime during the actual race? I ask this not having any idea how it is actually implemented in the game code. If this is not possible, I apologize for my ignorance. But if it is possible, could it be a quick enough addition to be implemented in the patch? I realize this is just a vanity addition. But I am definitely curious.

I would like to take this space to personally thank the Feral Interactive team for releasing good (realistic) racing games for the Mac. Toca 3 and Rally Mac are great even if they are getting up there.

As the game licensing of the cars has lapsed (so nobody can no longer sell any versions of the game) we will not be looking into adding things like this in a future patch.

Edwin

#3 Sargiel

Sargiel

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Location:West Sussex, England

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

How long do Mac licences normally last for ? I remember Aspyr picked up the Civ III licence after the previous Mac porting house' licence expired.

It's a bit of a shame in this instance as effectively I'm sure that there wouldn't be enough new sales to warrant re-negociating ..

#4 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

    Uberspewer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts
  • Location:Not here; not there; not anywhere!

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

You might want to reread Edwin's post. It's not the port license that is the issue, but that Codemaster's license to the cars used in the game expired.

Frankly, I still find that a bit odd. I can't remember any other past incidents like this.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#5 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:22 PM

View Postedddeduck, on 18 May 2011 - 06:07 AM, said:

As the game licensing of the cars has lapsed (so nobody can no longer sell any versions of the game) we will not be looking into adding things like this in a future patch.

Edwin
Then why do I still see websites selling the PC version of this game??

#6 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:29 PM

View PostMister Mumbles, on 18 May 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

You might want to reread Edwin's post. It's not the port license that is the issue, but that Codemaster's license to the cars used in the game expired.

Frankly, I still find that a bit odd. I can't remember any other past incidents like this.
It is odd.  You can still buy tons of old racing games with licenses of actual cars, including Feral's Ford Racing 2 port - which is older than CMR Mac!  This doesn't make any sense.

#7 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:11 AM

View PostMarathon4ever, on 18 May 2011 - 03:29 PM, said:

It is odd.  You can still buy tons of old racing games with licenses of actual cars, including Feral's Ford Racing 2 port - which is older than CMR Mac!  This doesn't make any sense.
Actually it makes a lot of sense and is not unprecendented. There only has to be a single license for the use of a certain manufacturer's cars that lapses and the game no longer may be produced. What's then on still on sale after that are usually only some stock items remaining with the retailers. Sega also no longer may sell their Out Run games since their contract with Ferrari ended – which is of course a problem for a game that only features Ferraris...

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#8 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:11 AM

View PostMarathon4ever, on 18 May 2011 - 03:22 PM, said:

Then why do I still see websites selling the PC version of this game??

View PostMarathon4ever, on 18 May 2011 - 03:29 PM, said:

It is odd.  You can still buy tons of old racing games with licenses of actual cars, including Feral's Ford Racing 2 port - which is older than CMR Mac!  This doesn't make any sense.

View PostJanichsan, on 19 May 2011 - 04:11 AM, said:

Actually it makes a lot of sense and is not unprecendented. There only has to be a single license for the use of a certain manufacturer's cars that lapses and the game no longer may be produced. What's then on still on sale after that are usually only some stock items remaining with the retailers. Sega also no longer may sell their Out Run games since their contract with Ferrari ended – which is of course a problem for a game that only features Ferraris...

Exactly as Janichsan says, the game cannot be sold in any territories on any platform (PC/Mac/Console) anymore. Retailers who have remaining stock can sell it off but Feral can no longer sell copies of the game to customers or retailers. This is the same with Codemasters and the PC/Console versions meaning any copies you do find in stores are the overstocks from before the licenses expired, they can sell those copies just they cannot buy in any more stock.

Other games like Ford Racing 2 the licence on the vehicles from Ford has not run out so it is still available to buy.

Edwin

#9 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

    SiniScope Productions Inc

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Location:Ohio, USA

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 18 May 2011 - 06:07 AM, said:

As the game licensing of the cars has lapsed (so nobody can no longer sell any versions of the game) we will not be looking into adding things like this in a future patch.

Edwin
Hello Edwin, thanks for the clarification in my other post. Since the topic is still somewhat recent, would it have been a possibility to allow this effect to run in real time during the game, or would it have taxed the (GPU and/or CPU) too much to be useful. Just curious as we are now getting a blurring effect to work in our racing game along with a 3D effect and it can really hurt even moderate Macs to an extent. Further optimization has proven to work, but it could be better.
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#10 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

View PostJaguarGod, on 19 May 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

Hello Edwin, thanks for the clarification in my other post. Since the topic is still somewhat recent, would it have been a possibility to allow this effect to run in real time during the game, or would it have taxed the (GPU and/or CPU) too much to be useful. Just curious as we are now getting a blurring effect to work in our racing game along with a 3D effect and it can really hurt even moderate Macs to an extent. Further optimization has proven to work, but it could be better.

Fairly sure it would have been possible from a performance point of view although I don't know how practical it would be to actually do it in Colin as I have never looked into how it worked. As you have said the great trick is to get the effect to look realistic without having to do all the calculations required to model it realistically as that is not practical.

Edwin

#11 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3780 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:48 AM

is it normal for publishers to produce and sell a big load of a game, if the license(s) are just about to expire?

Also, why not re-license it if there's a market? Like there apparently is in this case.. (Well, if there were more than one guy of course, asking for it)
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#12 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:04 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 20 May 2011 - 05:48 AM, said:

is it normal for publishers to produce and sell a big load of a game, if the license(s) are just about to expire?

Also, why not re-license it if there's a market? Like there apparently is in this case.. (Well, if there were more than one guy of course, asking for it)

1.) I don't know :)

2.) Licensing for the cars is between Codemasters and the involved car manufacturers (Feral have no involvement). I don't know anything more but I would assume with the game being old and newer games coming out Codemasters did not think it was worth spending the time and money to negotiate a new license for the these discontinued car models. But as I said I don't know, all I do know for certain is both games have been withdrawn from sale on all platforms. If you want a copy of Colin or Race Driver 3 I would buy a copy from a store soon, once the stock is gone it's gone.

Edwin

#13 Marathon4ever

Marathon4ever

    Notorious

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 19 May 2011 - 05:11 AM, said:


Other games like Ford Racing 2 the licence on the vehicles from Ford has not run out so it is still available to buy.

Edwin
With CMR Mac, there are multiple licences from different car manufacturers.  Which manufacturer's licence expired?

#14 edddeduck

edddeduck

    Feral Interactive

  • Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Location:London, England, UK

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:16 AM

View PostMarathon4ever, on 20 May 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

With CMR Mac, there are multiple licences from different car manufacturers.  Which manufacturer's licence expired?

As I said above

Quote

Licensing for the cars is between Codemasters and the involved car manufacturers (Feral have no involvement).
so we don't know my personal guess would be all of them would be weird to have different lengths on different cars.

Edwin