Behold the pinnacle of simulation games!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

The Farming Simulator 2011! Finally available for Mac this October! So far, only available in Germany, but it's predecessor is also made it to the US.

Also for Mac from the same developer: Demolition Company, the demolition simulator!

And when all works out, we can expect Mac ports of their other thrilling products, Delivery Truck Simulator, Road Tanker Simulator, Excavator Simulator and – of course – Garbage Truck Simulator!

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#2 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 29 September 2010 - 02:12 PM, said:

The Farming Simulator 2011! Finally available for Mac this October! So far, only available in Germany, but it's predecessor is also made it to the US.

Also for Mac from the same developer: Demolition Company, the demolition simulator!

And when all works out, we can expect Mac ports of their other thrilling products, Delivery Truck Simulator, Road Tanker Simulator, Excavator Simulator and – of course – Garbage Truck Simulator!

Ffft. No John Deere. If I want a faming simulation I'll drive 2.5 hours to my wheat land and work it myself! No thanks!
I'm waiting for a ranching simulation so I can struggle to get a calf into the squeeze chute for branding without getting my shins kicked and do pregnancy check on a cow by rectal palpation! Afterwards a sim nut fry would finish things off perfectly! Now that would be intense simulation action!

#3 Sargiel

Sargiel

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:45 AM

:D That's a classic! I wonder how many sales they make with these simulations  ?? At least they're making Mac native versions though. And Demolitions looks good for a rampage :D

Edit: Actually it's looking like hard work .. unless you could use the crane to throw some masonry onto the passing cars ?

#4 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 03:00 PM

Rejoice! You can get the Farming Simulator 2011 now on Steam! Buy a copy now and enjoy the thrill of plowing your field!

"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#5 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:10 PM

I don't know why, but it made me think of this. ;)
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#6 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:02 PM

Pinnacle of simulation games?  Feh.  I'll show you "pinnacle"--I'm going to make a Coma Simulator.  It simulates being in a coma.  Shouldn't take too long.

Edit: OK, I'm done. Play Coma Simulator online here. It's fully 3D, widescreen, the whole lot.  Clearly there's nowhere for the simulation genre to go after this, so you all can stop writing them now, kthx.

--Eric

#7 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:53 AM

Wow. Coma Simulator is just stunning in full screen. I could play that for hours.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

Coma Simulator totally kicks the Magical Flying Pink Pony game's ASS!!!  Whoooo!  Honey disconnect the phone I'm gonna be playing Coma Simulator!!!!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

View PostPegasus, on 13 November 2010 - 01:53 AM, said:

Wow. Coma Simulator is just stunning in full screen. I could play that for hours.
Hours? Months!! w00t!! :w00t:

#10 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:50 PM

OMG!  I so totally KICK ASS at a game FINALLY!!!  Eric is going to have to add to his signature, "Here comes Gary on his gurney and his useful gang of looker-arounders!"
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#11 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

Given its enormous popularity, I thought I'd do a post-mortem on Coma Simulator.  So, here it is:

Q: Was Coma Simulator's success a surprise?
A: Yes, very much so.  The team went into this project with a specific goal: to make the ultimate Simulator game.  We weren't concerned with commercial success.  Being in a coma is something we didn't imagine had such widespread appeal, but it was something we'd wanted to do for a long time.

Q: It was self-funded?
A: Yes, due to the intensely controversial nature of Coma Simulator, none of the big-name publishers were interested. A typical response to our pitch was "It's…um, I mean, you're in--well, you're just in a coma."  Often this was followed by "Get out of our office", and sometimes even "And don't come back!"

Q: That must have been discouraging.
A: Well, not really.  Our vision was so clear and pure that we just scraped together the funds ourselves no matter what it took. The passion was there.

Q: How does it compare to other games in the Simulator genre?
A: It's the ultimate Simulator, isn't it?  I mean, you have your farming simulators and so on, but no matter how tedious they might sound, you're still, you know, doing stuff in those.  So we had to find a way to top that.

Q: How were the amazing graphics achieved?  You managed to surpass everything else that's ever been done with realism like that.
A: Well, it was quite a process.  First we had to click on the background color for the camera--it's this kind of blue by default, but that didn't really match our vision, so we had to do something about it.  It's like, you're in a coma, you're not going to be seeing blue.  You're not going to be seeing anything, so black seemed like the ideal choice.  So the head graphics guy dragged the brightness slider all the way down.  All the way.

Q: Wow, that's…
A: I know, right?  Not just part of the way--he just went the whole distance.  I don't think I've ever seen anyone drag a slider that far, but everyone involved did what they had to do.  Also, there was the question of ambient light, which was kind of tricky.  You've got total blackness, so to what extent does ambient light factor in?  It wouldn't have any visible effect anyway, but it's the whole philosophy.  Is total blackness with 10% ambient any more or less totally black compared to say 20%, or what?  In the end we just ran out of time and budget, so we had to leave it at the default.

Q: I think that worked though.
A: Oh yeah, totally.  We got really lucky there.  It's like, what, 5% or something?  Anyway, you can't tell, but it's the little details like that we really had to concentrate on, really polish up if we could.

Q: The sound design is impressive.
A: Yeah, I think that worked out well. You're in a coma, so even if you hear something, you're not really going to react, right?  So we simulated that by just having silence.  And you know, it saved a lot of file size that way too.  I think that helped with the distribution a lot, since we went 100% digital with this one, no boxes.

Q: But in the end it's the gameplay that matters most, right?
A: Of course, right.  That's what it comes down to.  You know how when you really get in the zone, you don't want it to end, right?  In the game, if you woke up, then you wouldn't be in a coma anymore, it would be over.  And you don't want that.  So we spent a huge amount of time just not writing any code at all, I mean no lines of code.  Zero.  Without any code, there's very little chance of any actual gameplay occurring, so logically, without any gameplay, you can't win.  So you've got the total coma experience, forever.

Q: Wasn't there some report about that guy--
A: Right, that guy in, what, Texas, wasn't it?  Someone claimed he did win.  It's totally unverified one way or the other, but you know, I don't think he did.  I think he just died.

Q: Well, looks like that's all the space we have. Thanks for taking the time to provide us with those amazing insights!
A: Sure, no problem. We're all really happy with how Coma Simulator is doing, and even if we don't get Game of the Year, it was all totally worthwhile.

#12 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

View PostEric5h5, on 13 November 2010 - 04:37 PM, said:

Q: Wasn't there some report about that guy--
A: Right, that guy in, what, Texas, wasn't it?  Someone claimed he did win.  It's totally unverified one way or the other, but you know, I don't think he did.  I think he just died.
Huh?  No.  Frost is fine.  I just talked with him the other day.  You just don't want people to know that he not only woke up in the game and went on to live a fulfilling life, he earned all the achievements of: (1. Beautiful Wife Achievement (2. Two Point Five Children Achievement (3. Doctorate In Physics Achievement (4. Promotion To Head of Field Achievement (5. Throw Everything Away With Drugs And Alcohol Achievement (6. Lay In Gutter And Vomit For One Straight Week Achievement and (7. Fall Into Coma Achievement.

Sorry pal, you'll just have to try a little less hard next time.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#13 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:22 PM

Lies, I say!  Lies!  Also: lies!

--Eric

#14 Tesseract

Tesseract

Unmanageable Megaweight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:38 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 12 November 2010 - 03:00 PM, said:

Buy a copy now and enjoy the thrill of plowing your field!
But how realistic is the tractor handling? I don't want to find out that it drives like a family sedan. Gotta use those turning brakes!

#15 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8075 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

Whee! New, thrilling simulations abound! :w00t:

Amazon Germany lists the Road Contruction Simulator, the Switch Yard Simulator and the Heavy Load Transport Simulator for Mac.

#16 Tacohead

Tacohead

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 12 January 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

Whee! New, thrilling simulations abound! :w00t:

Amazon Germany lists the Road Contruction Simulator, the Switch Yard Simulator and the Heavy Load Transport Simulator for Mac.

Personally I can't wait for the lawnmower simulator. Posted Image

-PN
27" iMac I7 (late 2013), 3.2 mhz, 16 gigs of RAM, NVIDEA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB, Mac OS 10.12.3
iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi/iPhone 6+ 64GB

#17 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hey, get off my domain name, Eric! http://www.comasimulator.com. I'll make sure you get mentioned in the credits.  :pinkpony:

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#18 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17377 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

I should get mentioned in the credits too!  Not because I did anything, but because of what I'll do if you don't.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#19 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Bad things happen to domain name squatters.  Bad...and unpleasant.

--Eric

#20 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

View PostEric5h5, on 12 January 2011 - 06:50 PM, said:

Bad things happen to domain name squatters.  Bad...and unpleasant.

--Eric

I'm not squatting. I've already got (Unity) code started for a new game I have planned. I don't know where the inspiration came from ...  ;)

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau