57 replies to this topic

#1 DrJohnFever

DrJohnFever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:13 PM

I was thinking about getting a gaming mouse soon.  Which one is best for the money?  I have had the DeathAdder suggested by a very smart man, but I would like more than one opinion before I make a decision.  I mainly play SC2 if that matters at all.

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15928 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

I like my Logitec G5 mouse.  A lot.  It's sort of aged so there might be more worthy successors out there.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Hansi

Hansi

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1756 posts
  • Steam ID:hansroberth

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

Dunno what the current equivalent is (most likely G500) but my MX510 and MX518 have always been great.

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2734 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

The G9 is the new G5 I think. I'll re-recommend the death adder here though :P I've used it happily for over a year with no complaints
- Snake

Retina MBP: 2.3 GHz Quad i7 || 8 GB RAM  ||  650M 1 GB || OS X Yosemite

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3059 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

Its hard to find a mouse you like. You will no doubt, end up buying a couple, or few, returning some and selling others off. The problem is, everyone's hand is different, their gestures, their preferred grip style (tBC keep the sex jokes away please lol). So when you get opinions from others, its to be taken with that in mind.

The most you can prolly get out of this, is a pool of high quality mice (that are made well, and respond well with their software being done properly). Then, you have to just gamble on which to start with, and hope you hit it right from the start.

I went through five mice before settling on the Death Adder for my PC, and I STILL use my old Logitech Wheel Mouse for my mac.... and yes, it still has balls.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

I've got a Deathadder as well, like it a lot. Only good for righties though.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#7 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15928 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 27 September 2010 - 08:56 AM, said:

their preferred grip style (tBC keep the sex jokes away please lol).
Dang!  You beat me to the sex joke!!
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#8 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2734 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

View PostPeopleLikeFrank, on 27 September 2010 - 09:34 AM, said:

I've got a Deathadder as well, like it a lot. Only good for righties though.

They make a designated left hand edition as well
- Snake

#9 DrJohnFever

DrJohnFever

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 27 September 2010 - 08:56 AM, said:

their preferred grip style (tBC keep the sex jokes away please lol)
You know you're in a cool forum when the admin has to be warned of this.  :D
And to everyone: why the deathadder and not razer's other mice? And I am right handed (when it comes to mice), so I could care less if they are only for right handers.

#10 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3114 posts
  • Steam ID:ThainEshKelch

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:40 AM

Logitech MX518. Cheap and great for gaming.
"They're everywhere!"

And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m.

#11 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • Steam Name:Mister Mumbles

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

Right now I have an okay wireless Logitech M510 that I've had for over a year now. Despite it utilizing a laser sensor its tracking accuracy leaves something to be desired, which is readily apparent in any FPS - I'm sure it being wireless degrades accuracy on top of that. Hell, I played a lot better with an older (wired) Logitech trackball I had... before it decided to die on me one day.

So I've been giving thought to picking up a real gaming mouse, and the Razor mice really do seem to be some of the best available. My choice would be either the Imperator or Naga. I'm not sure though whether the latter's buttons would help more or just get in the way...
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#12 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

After reading a bunch of user reviews I wonder whether it would actually be worth considering the Deathadder instead. It seems like it's not uncommon for people to turn down the sensitivity in the higher-end models as 5600dpi seems too sensitive for a good few folks, who turn it down to Deathadder levels. So I suppose 3500dpi is still plenty good. Any thoughts?

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3059 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

View PostPegasus, on 15 October 2010 - 11:12 AM, said:

After reading a bunch of user reviews I wonder whether it would actually be worth considering the Deathadder instead. It seems like it's not uncommon for people to turn down the sensitivity in the higher-end models as 5600dpi seems too sensitive for a good few folks, who turn it down to Deathadder levels. So I suppose 3500dpi is still plenty good. Any thoughts?
I honestly never understood the glitz surrounding 'dpi' and 'polling rate'.

1) When I raise my polling rate, games response to the mouse become erratic at best, some games coming to complete halts with serious lag-time associated. Known issue for some games, others, its just a general problem with polling the USB faster than anything is expecting it to happen.

2) Running at 1800 dpi or 450 dpi, I notice ZERO smoothness in response and games. Actually, when I crank it to 1800, I have to drag most in-game mouse sensitivity sliders all the way down to 1 or 2, because just touching the mouse makes my character spin in circles.

3) There is absolutely no way I can aim a sniper gun when just one millimeter of mouse pad makes me do a 180.

I dont know how people can like being completely out of control with just a little bit of mouse movement. I guess I am old school, in that I 'feel' the game through the jotting and jerking of the mouse. I know if I 'flip it this much, I will end up in that direction'. None of this is done in a square millimeter of my mouse pad.

Also, when the sensativity (dpi) is so high, it doesnt get smoother. It is flying all over the place, the ability to make smooth precise movements is lost. This gets really bad when any game has an interface and mouse cursor. "Woop! missed the button!"  "Whoah! Went to the other side of the screen cause I twitched!" No thanks.

What I want, is much more smooth reaction. Unfortunately many games just don't have smooth controls like that, and its no fault of the mouse... its just the game. But even in games with great mouse control, like Source engines, or even older Q3 based engines, its just not any smoother with 450dpi or 3500dpi.

/rant lol

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#14 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2734 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

Amen!!!

Once you get above a certain amount of dpi (a few hundred) it literally makes zero difference. It be like buying a Mac Pro for web browsing over a Mac Mini
- Snake

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 15928 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

HALLELUJAH!!  Preach it Brother Frigidman!  

::Does somersaults to the front of the church like the Blues Brothers and starts dancing frantically::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3684 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

View PostPegasus, on 15 October 2010 - 11:12 AM, said:

I have a Deathadder …and lost of other people do too. It seems the specifications of it are easily good enough for what most people would need. I think the only real downside to some other mice by Razor is the fact that it generally has less buttons than its counterparts. A counterpoint to that is whether people actually need more than five buttons, I know I generally do not use all of them. I think the real plus to the Deathadder is its price compared to other more contemporary mice of similar design.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#17 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Frigidman. Frankly, I never was that knowledgeable about how much dpi really matters. It definitely will make my decision a bit easier.

Still, that said, no matter what my current mouse's actual dpi is (which I am not sure about) I do know as mentioned before is that my performance has dropped a fair bit since I switched to this mouse. I'm willing to give the Deathadder a shot just to get a smoother experience.

#18 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Joo

• Admin
  • 3059 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

View PostPegasus, on 15 October 2010 - 10:32 PM, said:

Thanks for the clarification, Frigidman. Frankly, I never was that knowledgeable about how much dpi really matters. It definitely will make my decision a bit easier.

Still, that said, no matter what my current mouse's actual dpi is (which I am not sure about) I do know as mentioned before is that my performance has dropped a fair bit since I switched to this mouse. I'm willing to give the Deathadder a shot just to get a smoother experience.
I used to play with a ball mouse for a long time. When switching to optic (laser, g3, whatever they wanna call it now)... my abilities dropped like a rock. The whole feel was off. I never knew when I was touching the pad or not (in terms of response). With a ball, you know when you are touching the pad if the ball is going to move, and thus register in the game as movement. With optics, you can be floating over the pad, not physically feeling any 'touch' yet you are moving around in the game.

One thing I did like with the deathadder over a couple other mice I tried, was, the 'lift range' was VERY small. Meaning, after a tiny smidge of lift, the mouse would stop registering movement. One other mouse I had, forgot which, think it was a logitech g9 or something? ... anyhow, I had to lift the mouse a good HALF INCH off the pad before it stopped jerking my character around. Drove me nuts, couldn't stand that (plus my wrist was screaming bloody murder).

I've now gotten very used to this deathadder though. And now know what to expect with what kind of hand movement. It still touches the inner heal of my thumb, due to design of the mouse body... and it still irritates me a bit, but its not so bad as it originally was. "Feel" takes time to get over when changing devices.

-Fm [1oM7]

#19 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:16 AM

DeAthAddEr r tha besst :nods: :mellow:

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

Late 2012 iMac 27" Corei7 3.4ghz GTX 680 MX 8gb RAM 3tb FusionDrive
Now Playing: Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2

#20 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3684 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones
  • Steam ID:Meriones

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 16 October 2010 - 10:35 AM, said:

I've now gotten very used to this deathadder though. And now know what to expect with what kind of hand movement. It still touches the inner heal of my thumb, due to design of the mouse body... and it still irritates me a bit, but its not so bad as it originally was. "Feel" takes time to get over when changing devices.
Yeah, when I first tried AMG's Deathadder out, it was a pretty bloody weird experience (I was also play AC at the time). I'm over the completely odd initial feel of the mouse, and I now consider myself a "palm" person. I like my whole hand resting on the mouse. I think it goes with my style. I can defenitely say that the Deathadder's design will not be for everyone, as it is more discriminatory than most mice in the market, because of how large it is, and the fact that it is right handed only.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 8GB RAM | 10.8.2 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State