• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nowasps

nowasps

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

Hi,

The game won't run properly on my new machine, a 27" iMac 2.93, Core i7. The scenery and text breaks up, or the game crashes.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? I've never updated or patched the game, assuming these exist.

It works fine on the small monitor I have attached to the iMac.

Thanks for looking.

#2 edddeduck

edddeduck

Feral Interactive

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:26 AM

View Postnowasps, on 07 September 2010 - 11:39 AM, said:

Hi,

The game won't run properly on my new machine, a 27" iMac 2.93, Core i7. The scenery and text breaks up, or the game crashes.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? I've never updated or patched the game, assuming these exist.

It works fine on the small monitor I have attached to the iMac.

Thanks for looking.

If you are trying to play at native resolution will 4x FSAA etc you will most likely be blowing through all your video memory and crashing the game. Drop the resolution and turn off FSAA and try again. Then slowly raise the resolution back up again until you hit issues. The game engine was not designed, tested  or ported with 27" (2560x1440) resolutions in mind, in fact I don't think many (or any) Mac at the time of development was capable of running the Finder at that resolution never mind a game :)

We will be looking at setting reasonable limits on the game resolution when we patch it to disable unusable combinations of resolution and FSAA so you cannot select settings that don't work.

Edwin

#3 nowasps

nowasps

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:39 AM

View Postedddeduck, on 08 September 2010 - 03:26 AM, said:

If you are trying to play at native resolution will 4x FSAA etc you will most likely be blowing through all your video memory and crashing the game. Drop the resolution and turn off FSAA and try again. Then slowly raise the resolution back up again until you hit issues. The game engine was not designed, tested  or ported with 27" (2560x1440) resolutions in mind, in fact I don't think many (or any) Mac at the time of development was capable of running the Finder at that resolution never mind a game :)

We will be looking at setting reasonable limits on the game resolution when we patch it to disable unusable combinations of resolution and FSAA so you cannot select settings that don't work.

Edwin

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your reply, that all makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately, after working through the entire menu, restarting the machine and working down to the smallest possible res. (640x480) Thousands of colours, and no FSAA, the same problem persists. It doesn't crash, unlike the maximum res., but the screen won't draw properly. There's lots of bits of road and scenery missing for example, and a white block of "fog" moves slowly across the view. Possibly an atmospheric effect that's not being drawn properly?

Could the game need re-installing, or maybe the disc is dirty? Are there preferences I can chuck or something? It looks fairly fundamental to me...

Lee

Still works fine on the small monitor, so it can't be the disc etc. Maybe disconnecting the second monitor ?

Edited by nowasps, 08 September 2010 - 04:45 AM.

#4 nowasps

nowasps

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:06 AM

Problem solved!

Corrupted preferences.

Turns out I can go as high as 1900x1200 without crashing the game, everything else turned up to max.  :)

#5 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

View Postnowasps, on 08 September 2010 - 09:06 AM, said:

Problem solved!

Corrupted preferences.

Turns out I can go as high as 1900x1200 without crashing the game, everything else turned up to max.  :)
Great news. Have fun playing! I still consider this game the best in the Colin McRae series if for nothing else than it runs natively on Mac. :happy:  Also, I did not like Dirt or Dirt 2. I just like the pure form of Rally and this game delivers for sure.

Thankfully Feral is willing to get these racing games released on the Mac. Thank You Feral! :D
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#6 JaguarGod

JaguarGod

SiniScope Productions Inc

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:12 AM

View PostJames cuck, on 06 October 2010 - 05:36 AM, said:

I thought I might grab Colin McRae rally for a bit of fun every now and again.
It is a great game that still holds up today if you are up for a challenge. The shifting and undulating road and gravel surfaces are a challenge as they affect your driving line and can really make things wild.
My Badge Of Honor - Single Father of Three
Dedicated to My Mother, Patricia Lee Frabotta 1947-2009
Official Auto Sport Driving Website

#7 The Animaster

The Animaster

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Steam ID:theanimaster

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

View PostJaguarGod, on 06 October 2010 - 06:12 AM, said:

It is a great game that still holds up today if you are up for a challenge. The shifting and undulating road and gravel surfaces are a challenge as they affect your driving line and can really make things wild.

I dunno... if you want a challenge, try out Dirt2 (but I'm speaking w experience on Dirt3... which they say is really similar anyways). Colin McRae Rally Mac (or CMR2005 on the PC) was good while it lasted, but it became too easy, and too predictable. After playing Dirt2 for a little bit on my brother's PC and then Dirt3 on my mac under Bootcamp, I realised that I wasn't as great a driver that I was in CMR2005. Not that I was that good to begin with ... but still, I could finish a race in CMR2005 in good time without scratches on my car. In Dirt, with all the Driving Assists turned off, I just go into one spin and into the next~!!

Let's look at this another way -- in CMR2005 I ~NEVER~ use the brake pedals. NEVER. Never HAVE to!! I use eBrake, yes, to slide into corners -- and it was fun. But NEVER ever had to use the normal brakes in CMR 2005. In Dirt2/3 you need to re-train yourself regarding braking. You DO need to slow down into turns, much like the real thing!! You need to learn how to brake. PERIOD. It's kind of like driving those Group B cars -- they're always spinning out of control in CMR2005.

Throw in the fact that CMR2005 graphics pales in comparison to Dirt2/3 graphics (but hey, RaceDriver3 has worse graphics than CMR2005), and you'll know that you just ~have~ to be running Dirt2/3 on any new machine.

Make no mistake -- CMR2005 was a tremendous game. I wouldn't have bought a G25 steering wheel if not for, and SOLELY for CMR2005. That's saying a lot! But one needs to move on -- honour the game, yes, but move on.
Early 2011 Macbook Pro 15"@1680x1050 matte option 1GB Radeon 6750M 16GB RAM

#8 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

View Postnowasps, on 08 September 2010 - 09:06 AM, said:

Problem solved!

Corrupted preferences.

If you are playing on a 27 inch iMac it has a 16:9 resolution so 1920x1080 is a more appropriate resolution. 1920x1200 with its 16:10 aspect ratio just gives you pillarboxing as it tries to fit it to your 16:9 monitor. BTW I was also having a corrupted preferences problem with Bioshock one time... they where telling me to turn down the resolution but all I needed to do was regenerate the feral specific preferences file. That game ran fine at 2560x1440 and I did at least one complete playthrough at that resolution with no problem but I then ran it again at 1920x1080 just for a little bit more oomph. Never mind that 1080 is a smaller number than 1200.. you aren't getting more with 1920x1200 you are getting less with the pillarboxing.

Also I might add that if you find you have some games that don't have enough oomph at 1920x1080 even give 1600x900 a try before dropping down to 1280x720. I've done that with a few of my games and it has almost all the image quality of 1080 and is a good middleground. 1600x900 is a 16:9 resolution so it fits the 27 inches screen nicely. I know you aren't having any troubles with that game any more but just some friendly advice.

View Postedddeduck, on 08 September 2010 - 03:26 AM, said:

It's a little uncharitable to say a 27 inch iMac can't even run the finder at native resolution. In fact especially the newer ones can run many things at native resolution including quite a few games besides the newest most demanding ones. Many old games can run at 2560x1440 fine even with Antialising turned up (Halo comes to mind off the top of my head I run it at 2560x1440 9xAA).  but apparently many of Feral's games can't.... Tomb Raider Anniversary for example also has to be run at 1920x1080 on a 27 inch iMac but with 4xAA enabled it looks smooth enough that it doesn't matter. Sometimes games are so well written it doesn't matter what they where designed for at the time they where developed. The way you talk it seems like one would burn through all their RAM and crash it with just about any game with the res\AA turned up.

On the other hand that first part was good advice.

BTW It'd be nice if certain games like Bioshock had an AA override that uses FXAA or MLAA (or a choice so depending on hardware the user can choose) as those types of AA work better with deferred rendering engines like the one Bioshock used.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7