19 replies to this topic

#1 Hobeaux

Hobeaux

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

Project Sword looks like it'll be freakin’ awesome, and am stunned at the quality of images that can be done on the phone. wowzers.

Game Center > "project sword"
turning the real into the ideal

#2 Hobeaux

Hobeaux

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

View PostHobeaux, on 01 September 2010 - 01:03 PM, said:

Project Sword looks like it'll be freakin’ awesome, and am stunned at the quality of images that can be done on the phone. wowzers.

Game Center > "project sword"

a tech demo is available now :)

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:57 AM

Really impressive stuff. On my iPhone 4, it runs mostly smooth in the device's native resolution. Awesome what you can achieve nowadays on such a small hand-held device.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:40 PM

It becomes much less impressive when you realize that everything is baked ... there are no moving light sources, no real shadows, no colour changes. It's certainly beautiful, but also static. Add in an Windows-only IDE and less-than-friendly and costly licensing terms, and you have a basic demo for AAA studios who haven't yet found the joy that is Unity.  :happy:

Don't get me wrong, it is very pretty though. Although I'm not convinced about the control sceheme.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#5 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

I need to have inverted y-axis before I can make a judgement on the controls.
"You call *this* archaeology?" • Professor Henry Jones

#6 Hobeaux

Hobeaux

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 02 September 2010 - 01:40 PM, said:

It becomes much less impressive when you realize that everything is baked ... there are no moving light sources, no real shadows, no colour changes. It's certainly beautiful, but also static. Add in an Windows-only IDE and less-than-friendly and costly licensing terms, and you have a basic demo for AAA studios who haven't yet found the joy that is Unity.  :happy:

Don't get me wrong, it is very pretty though. Although I'm not convinced about the control sceheme.

you may remember this is for a *phone* right?

also, in an interview at Gamasutra right after the announcement:

Do you use all of the exact same back-end tools, like Kismet and everything?

Yes. Everything's supported. The difference of course is that it's not quite as powerful a graphics processor as on the Xbox 360, so you'll probably do some custom content work, but you're using the same tool chain of UnrealEd and Kismet and the same phsyics tools and everything.

Obviously, art, particularly seems like it would be an issue. I mean, the character models for Gears of War, specifically, seem like they'd be very hard to translate.

It actually turns out that we get really high-resolution textures, which is the first thing you'd think about how "we're going to have to dumb that down." But you don't, because you've got so much memory on an iPhone.

Epic Citadel interview on Gamasutra

so it would seem that the iOS version of the tech could support dynamic lights and such, but for the purposes for the demo they left it out. Probably already really challenging with the content that they have now

#7 Hobeaux

Hobeaux

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:56 PM

"project sword" gets its official name and a few images from gameplay. the game should be available for the holidays.

Infinity Blade

screens

#8 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

Well, regardless of how much is "baked in" those are some really impressive graphics especially for a mobile game. Hell, I'd be happy with a full computer\console game that looked like that. Those characters especially look awesome.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#9 Hobeaux

Hobeaux

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

there's a "debut" trailer posted today that shows some action but light on actual gameplay

Infinity Blade "debut" trailer at gametrailers.com

#10 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

View PostHobeaux, on 05 November 2010 - 10:00 AM, said:

there's a "debut" trailer posted today that shows some action but light on actual gameplay

Infinity Blade "debut" trailer at gametrailers.com

This game looks like it's gonna be pretty sweet, the first real game on the app store that has some depth
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#11 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:01 PM

It looks better than bioshock does on this C2D Laptop of mine

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#12 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 05 November 2010 - 10:44 AM, said:

This game looks like it's gonna be pretty sweet, the first real game on the app store that has some depth

I think the only depth you can really expect is a graphical one. So far I've yet to be convinced that this is anything more than a one-on-one brawler with slight RPG elements. In any case, your battery may fear for its dear life while playing this. Massive drains are go!
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#13 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:56 PM

I agree with Pegasus. This is Fruit Ninja with knights.

#14 Hobeaux

Hobeaux

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

haha!

yeah i've been thinking the same thing. could be typical Epic fare: what it lacks in depth it makes up for in details. Epic really sells engines not games so this could be little more than a sexy tech demo to get people on-board with their UDK rather that the competition (Unity).

#15 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:15 AM

December 9th release date
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro

#16 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:16 PM

Downloading as we speak on my iPad. Thoughts forthcoming in a bit

Edit:

The game is loads of fun. Pretty much as good as any iOS rpg you could ask for, and what I mean by that is that it's very easy to just pick up and play for a few min, but it's also got some addictive RPG elements and the combat is both fun and hard to master. On my first life I was thinking "my gosh this game is easy" and then I made it to the final boss and he cleaned my clock for me without me so much as denting his health. Upon starting my second life all the enemies had become noticeable better and every fight was a good difficulty. The controls are both very intuitive and take some skill at the same time. It rewards players greatly who seek to master it and punishes the guys who just try to grind it out the easy way.

Graphically the landscape is pretty similar to Epic Citadel, but the player models aren't as good as I thought they'd be, and this game needs gore!! It'd be so much better with blood and body parts flying!  :D

It's not a free roam RPG. You click to wear you want to go ( like Myst or Riven ) and the battles are a separate mini game with attacking, dodging, blocking, and most importantly parrying, and then some magic thrown in for good measure.

Overall I'd give it a very good score, it's the best game I've played yet on an iOS device

#17 Hobeaux

Hobeaux

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

downloaded and think it's quite good—but i have to admit I'm quite terrible at it. lol.  :blink:  
I'm heading back in to give it another go...

#18 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

It bought Infinity Blade yesterday.

First impression: Woah, dude! :blink: The game really looks awesome. Yes, it's pretty shallow, but fun. Actually, I think it's better than Rage.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#19 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

Speaking of the UE3 and iOS it seems that Epic is addingiOS support to the UDKso independent developers can make UE3 games for the iOS as well. I'm curious as to how that works because there's no OS X support in the UDK and you need OS X to compile applications for iOS right?  Also wouldn't you need some level of UDK support in OS X to compile code created with it? Or do are they able to just cross compile for iOS in Windows using the UDK? Either way it seems the iOS is getting more first party support from Epic than the Mac thus far has been getting.
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#20 Hobeaux

Hobeaux

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

View PostSmoke_Tetsu, on 15 December 2010 - 10:08 AM, said:

Speaking of the UE3 and iOS it seems that Epic is addingiOS support to the UDKso independent developers can make UE3 games for the iOS as well. I'm curious as to how that works because there's no OS X support in the UDK and you need OS X to compile applications for iOS right?  Also wouldn't you need some level of UDK support in OS X to compile code created with it? Or do are they able to just cross compile for iOS in Windows using the UDK? Either way it seems the iOS is getting more first party support from Epic than the Mac thus far has been getting.

from what I've read online the UDK is PC-only so one would have to make the entire game on Windows then save it out to an iOS executable, or to a set of files and then have an iOS wrapper to use it. Apparently the UDK can also port executables to the Android system as well, and have done so already with the Dungeon Defenders game.

Dungeon Defenders for iOS and Android

I was hoping that this would be the event to push Epic Games to the Mac platform for their tools but I suppose that the reality is that it's just too cost-prohibitive for what still is a tiny fraction of the developer/consumer market. At least we get these :)