6 replies to this topic

#1 Naman

Naman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

Link to main site >>> http://minecraft.net/ <<< go here, okay?

Posted Image
(Pictured: My sweet crib, yo!)

No, it's not an RTS about laying mines! It's a survival/building/open world (HUGE world! Everything is procedurally generated, so the size of each world is potentially infinite!  game in which everything--literally, everything--is destructible, and most things drop materials you can use to build or craft useful things, which is pretty good, because you start out with nothing buy your wits, bare fists!

Fortunately, after beating the everliving crap out of a tree or two, you will have obtained enough wood to start crafting things, beginning with the crafting table you will need to craft most of the other items in the game. There are many things to craft, like picks, axes, swords, and armor, and many variations on them depending on the materials you use to craft them! The crafting recipes are generally fairly intuitive, but if, like most people, you don't want to trial-and-error your way through it, there's a handy dandy wiki, Minepedia, to help you with the basics, and list all the known crafting recipes.

As cool as all this building stuff is, though, there is an actual game here. I mentioned survival, and I meant it! In the main game mode, there's a day-night cycle in which a bunch of jerks (skeleton archers, giant spiders, zombies, and everyone's favorite little living time-bombs, creepers!) spawn at night with the goal of making you dead, so you'd better dig yourself in and create a "safe" base for yourself before the sun goes down. Once you've established yourself, there are vast networks of natural caverns going deep into the ground, and the deeper you go, the better the ore deposits you'll find! Be careful, though, and bring a lot of torches, because monsters spawn anywhere that's dark and large enough, and never dig down or straight up unless you feel like getting a face full o' lava! There are even hidden monster rooms with chests full of loot (and you can always loot the chests themselves, too!) and monster spawners in them.

If survival isn't your thing, though, there's still Creative mode, with no beasties trying to ruin your day. (It's also free on the main site!)

And when I say there's lots of stuff to craft, I mean it! Highlights include minecart tracks and minecarts (build rollercoasters!) torches for light, and redstone wires and torches, which can be used to power switches, and can even be used to build logic gates!

But wait, there's more! Multiplayer, you ask? Multiplayer, I say! There's also a server daemon available, and although it's not quite up to parity with Survival Single Player yet, Notch (Minecraft's creator) is working on it! For now, you can still get together with friends and build neat stuff on one server, just make sure you stick your inventory items in a chest before logging off, and be aware that it's a little buggy for now.

Finally, although Creative mode is free, the main, meaty, creeper-filled game is not free. Although it's technically in Alpha, Notch decided to be pretty cool, and let everyone who pre-orders it at half price for €10 (about $13 US currently) download and play the alpha version of the game.

If you want a more in-depth description and a whole crapton of links to further resources (such as skins for your character and skins for the entire game!) here's the Something Awful thread on it:

http://forums.someth...hreadid=3323710

Oh yeah, and it's all done in Java, so it should run on any machine with decent enough graphics hardware. Even your Linux friends can play!

#2 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • Steam Name:Mister Mumbles

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

I've tried this a few weeks ago. Your general description and the bit about the survival part makes this sound like a much better game than I've experienced. The creative mode on its own just seems a tad boring after a while. I wish there was a way to at least sample the other part of the game. Guess I do need something a little more goal-oriented as an incentive to keep playing.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#3 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

My oldest son is addicted to the game. I don't see the appeal, but, Dwarf Fortress is also something I can't get into either.
Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#4 Naman

Naman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

View PostPegasus, on 28 August 2010 - 04:22 PM, said:

I've tried this a few weeks ago. Your general description and the bit about the survival part makes this sound like a much better game than I've experienced. The creative mode on its own just seems a tad boring after a while. I wish there was a way to at least sample the other part of the game. Guess I do need something a little more goal-oriented as an incentive to keep playing.

Creative mode isn't that appealing, IMO. It's Survival Mode that really, really makes it a lot of fun. When you actually have to work to get all of your building materials, and you actually have the impetus to not get killed, it becomes a dramatically more fun gaming experience, IMO. I couldn't get into creative mode at all, but once I took the risk and bought it, survival had me hooked.

#5 mkbolivian

mkbolivian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

I'm loving minecraft! I used to be a reviewer for Inside Mac Games, so take my word for it, the game is great.
One of the things I love about the game is how nearly limitless the posibilites are in the open world, and the really creative things people are doing with multiplayer servers. For example, check out http:/www.minecrafthungergames.com
They have built some really great multiplayer battle arenas, I've been playing over there a little bit, and I'm really enjoying it. But my favorite thing about minecraft is how you can just generate the immense random worlds, and then set out and explore them.. I find myself telling my wife about my adventures exploring my world in minecraft as if they were real places... I've built awesome houses and castles that I'm actually proud of :) It's a pretty special game, get it and play it.

#6 mkbolivian

mkbolivian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

by the way, if you happen to stop by www.minecrafthungergames.com, look my up, my username there is also mkbolivianwonder.

#7 cleansanchez

cleansanchez

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

go to McPvP and you will see a choice of server styles. I currently play Sabotage but Capture the Flag and Hunger Games are more established and popular. MInecraft Call of Duty is also linked form there.

But please have a very good look at Sabotage. I know there is another popular server doing this too but this version is the best balanced. It is alpha and not yet beta but when it crashes (about once every 30 minutes - that is no problem) then you do NOT lose any accumulated karma and nor do you get penalised for the disconnect while playing as a Sab. I play Sabotage a lot ATM.