Old Mac Card Game

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 snz

snz

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

I'm looking for the name of an old mac game, one I used to play on the Performa. It had a collection of different puzzles and card games, all under the guise of some sort of new-agey heading. I remember in particular the card game, which was heavily linked to astrology and astronomy. The images on the cards were animated and when flipped over did "spectacular" natural things. I remember one card was called Aurora Borealis, and other cards probably followed the same seasonal, earthy theme.

Does anyone remember the title to this game or the collection of games it was from?

#2 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

Sounds like card game portion of "Heaven and Earth". It included a variety of puzzles as well.

Great game from almost 20 years ago. Exactly the kind of original game that is almost completely forgotten now, yet would probably do pretty well if it had been released this year as a casual game. Would be a nifty iPad game, for example.

The graphics were nice for the time. I believe it was only 256-color, but by using palette animation and playing musical themes for different cards, they got some memorable effects and a peaceful aura pervaded the game.

I haven't managed to locate any Mac screenshots. I believe they were a little nicer, less dithered than the PC screenshots here, but perhaps that's just my memory playing tricks on me. Certainly screenshots don't do justice to the way some of the colors animated to make stars seem to twinkle, flames seem to flicker.

http://www.allgame.c...=551&tab=screen

Edit: I found Mac screenshots at an abandonware website. I was absolutely right; the Mac version looked significantly nicer. But even the DOS screens give a sense of the care that went into the art design.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.

#3 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Well, dang. Followed a few of the links and found brief descriptions of the game by two of the authors. Apparently the card game portion was ported to iPhone- so I'm not the only person to think that this game should be brought back out for a new audience! Unfortunately, the game is no longer available, at least in the US app store.

#4 snz

snz

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

View PostMatt Diamond, on 18 August 2010 - 02:24 PM, said:

Well, dang. Followed a few of the links and found brief descriptions of the game by two of the authors. Apparently the card game portion was ported to iPhone- so I'm not the only person to think that this game should be brought back out for a new audience! Unfortunately, the game is no longer available, at least in the US app store.

Thanks for the info! It's too bad they took the app off of the app store, they would certainly have gotten my five bucks...

#5 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

I wrote a note to the guy who ported it, asking if it was gone for good. I'm guessing he didn't have the rights to adapt the original game/artwork and was asked to take it down, but who knows. If I hear back from him I'll post here. Or you can try to contact him yourself; his webpage is here: http://www.robertzpr...om/programs.php

(Oddly enough, looks like I crossed paths with this guy long ago. We both wrote games for the uDevGame 2002 contest. I remember playing his entry, a version of the Mille Bournes card game. No reason he'd remember me or my entry though.)

#6 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Got a reply from the developer. He didn't make enough money during the first year of being on the app store for Apple to cut him a check. He therefore let his app store license expire. He didn't completely rule out renewing one day in future.

#7 elywaldoya

elywaldoya

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

Hi,
I remember playing a game with an Easter bunny that brought eggs to the other side. I am not sure if it was putting the eggs in a basket on other side or taking them or what, but I think you played cards to play and to get the bunny to like get all the eggs or something? Does anybody know that game or what it's called? please help thank you....Also suggest any other old mac games played as a kid. I want to look them up and see if they can be played!