dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

Pre-ordered mine through AT&T yesterday morning at 7:15 am.  I guess I was pretty lucky.  Being a first-time buyer may have helped.  I went with the limited data plan, which made this all possible.  AT&T is reporting that mine is set to arrive on June 24.  :D
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#22 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

One of the big hang ups was checking with the AT&T servers if you were eligible so yeah not being an AT&T customer would speed that up.
"You call *this* archaeology?" Professor Henry Jones

#23 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

Tried at various points throughout the day and never got an order through.

I'm leaving early in the morning on the 24th. Do I try to get to an ATT store really early that morning, in the hopes of getting one, or do I wait and go to an ATT store the following week, provided that the thing isn't sold out for the next 2 weeks? Ugh.

#24 Atticus

Atticus

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

I tried all day as well, then read a posting on the Apple forums that suggested checking the shopping cart, just in case. I did, and lo, there was my iPhone 4 16GB in black. Completed the check-out process, received a confirmation email from Apple a few hours later. Getting it on the 24th ftw.
"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me."

#25 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Apparently the problem was that over 600,000 preorders happened yesterday (10 times the 3GS demand). That is over half of the "pipe dream" one million mark people set for the first iPhone.

#26 Rev-O

Rev-O

BANNED

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

Envious of you pre-orders. Strongly thinking about it (eligible for an upgrade and all that) but thinking I may hold off for a white one. But it will be mine. Oh, yes, it will be mine.

#27 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

View PostRev-O, on 16 June 2010 - 05:41 PM, said:

Envious of you pre-orders. Strongly thinking about it (eligible for an upgrade and all that) but thinking I may hold off for a white one. But it will be mine. Oh, yes, it will be mine.

I really wanted the white one.  Quite disappointed when I learned it wasn't available, seconds before selecting the black model.  My wife's Verizon plan has another year.  I'll then get the "newer" model white iPhone and swap the sim cards, giving her the black one.  ;)  She doesn't even use shortcut keys to copy/paste.  Traumatizes me every time I see her move the cursor up to 'Edit.'  Trust me, she'll be happy with the year-old black iPhone 4.

#28 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

Wished I had that kind of disposable cash. =/
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#29 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

View PostPegasus, on 16 June 2010 - 06:00 PM, said:

Wished I had that kind of disposable cash. =/

You will.

#30 hiyatran

hiyatran

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

The iPhone 4g is perfect in every way except for the reception.  That is just like the most important thing in the iPhone but maybe I'm just asking for too much from Apple.

#31 NAG

NAG

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

I've actually seen an improvement reception-wise. Yeah, I can replicate the bars go down thing in some locations but that looks like it was because Apple was fudging the bars in iOS 4. Only place I have problems connecting is where every other phone I've had couldn't connect either (I just love metal siding).

#32 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:51 AM

I finally got my iPhone 4 yesterday, and so far I like that device.

Compared to my previous iPhone 2G from the Stone Age, it's blazing fast: everything feels really snappy and smooth, apps launch and quit quickly (usually). Very nice. I've never used an iPhone 3GS, so I cannot say how the iPhone 4 compares to this.

Following up to the previous camera discussion, I can say that the new back-facing camera is pretty decent, but to be honest: my four year old Fuji compact camera is still far better. The iPhone's pictures become pretty grainy under even slightly less ideally lit conditions. The quality of the front-facing camera's pictures isn't really impressive, but then again, it's not really meant for taking pictures. I haven't tried the video recording yet (a feature that I wouldn't use anyway), so I can't say anything about this.

What really, really impresses me (as expected) is the Retina display. The resolution is incredible. Everything looks very crisp and clear and I'm really not able to discern individual pixels. If the iPad had such a display, I would take it much more serious as ebook reader (well, at least when Apple would also get rid of the mirroring glass and choose a display technology that does not become unreadable under direct sunlight...). The downside is, that apps that are not adapted to the new resolution (and that happen to be the most) are visibly pixelated in parts where they use more than just standard UI elements. Even the icons of these apps on the home screen look discernibly worse. So, no Magic Picture Quality Enhancer™ at work here.

And finally, the questions of all questions: do I see reception issues caused by the Death Grip of Doom™? Yes, I do: when I hold the iPhone 4 in my left hand (which I usually do when actually making a call) or even in my right hand with my fingers in a "wrong" position, I lose one or two bars of reception strength (even with iOS 4.0.1). On the other hand, that problem is so far not so aggravating that I have completely lost my 3G connection at any time. Furthermore, I found that in general the iPhone 4's reception quality is on par with that of my company mobile phone, a Sony Ericsson Elm (I'm not sure if this is sold outside Europe under the same name). So, no real reason to complain so far on that matter.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#33 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

O.K., I just got my iPhone 4 on Tuesday, and it's everything I wanted & more. I haven't had ANY of the issues the whiners have been bringing up. No dropped calls, no noticeable loss of signal when I hold it, etc. This replaces my tracfone & 1st Gen iPod touch, so it's nice to have 1 less item to carry, and now I don't have to plug in a dongle to my iPod to get bluetooth audio. I'm extremely pleased with it so far.  :happy:

#34 Lana Parker

Lana Parker

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for sharing. I like it