9 replies to this topic

#1 AussieMacGamer

AussieMacGamer

Owner, 2nd Largest Topic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3087 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:56 AM

There seems to be a buttload of steam threads popping up?

IMG Resident Crackpot
"What you need is a dog or a girlfriend, or both, or one in the same!" -Gary Simmons Aka. The Battle Cat
15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz ATI X1600 3Gb Ram w/Samsung 840 SSD R.I.P

2015 Mbp 13", 256gb SSD

Windows popsnizzlebox with a 5400rpm HD and a GTX 1060

Now Playing: Player Unknown's Battlegrounds/CS:GO/Rising Storm 2/The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine/Shenmue 1

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:09 AM

Its only fresh news right now. It will die down.

Games are still SINGULAR entities that can be talked about where they belong. Just because you bought them within steam, doesnt mean they should be lumped together. We don't have a Macgamesarcade/store forum category here either.

If you want to talk about steam itself, its just like any other general piece of software, and goes into that category just fine. There is nothing so grandiose about it to warrant an entire category to it. Sorry.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 The Liberator

The Liberator

Liberate Tutemet Ex Infernis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3707 posts
  • Steam Name:Meriones

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

Maybe we should have a permanent (stickied) thread under either the General Mac Gaming or OS Related General? Something, as it seems that this will be lingering around here indefinitely, and one (or possibly two if need be) threads are created soley for the purpose of Steam everything it is. I do not think we need a subforum, but something more like the PS3 thread.

Liberator.

iMac: 2.8GHz i7 | 16GB RAM | 10.10.5 | ATI Radeon HD 4850M | 512MB VRAM

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

We hang in D.C. with them CIA killers

Baraka Flacka Flames - Head of the State

#4 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

View PostThe Liberator, on 15 May 2010 - 08:36 AM, said:

Maybe we should have a permanent (stickied) thread under either the General Mac Gaming or OS Related General? Something, as it seems that this will be lingering around here indefinitely, and one (or possibly two if need be) threads are created soley for the purpose of Steam everything it is. I do not think we need a subforum, but something more like the PS3 thread.

Liberator.

Well I think that having a Steam thread is a bit different. Since there's gonna be all sorts of individual problems and stuff it would be pretty daunting for the new users that may be posting questions to see a 1000 reply thread and have to post in it. The PS3 thread just deals with PS3 chatter mostly, nothing to technical, mostly just thoughts on games, trophies, and clan stuff, as such. You can not have read the last 5 pages and jump right into the conversation, where as with more technical stuff you have to follow it, and if your question ranges from posts 533-568 in a behemoth everything thread, it's awfully hard to find, compared to nice thread that you made.

What people should be doing is like Frigidman said: just talk about the game, not the fact that it comes from Steam. For example, there's a thread right now that's talking about Torchlight in the RPG subforum - where it belongs.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#5 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

What is the problem with just asking a question in General about a general piece of software for games? If steam seems to be a hot topic, then thats what is hot right now. Before then it was, uh, something else. If we have multiple questions about the same thing, they either get merged, or locked and redirected like normal. If questions are asked, and people do searches, those threads would show up for them to read and respond too.

We could make one sticky of "members and their steam names/groups". We may even add a custom field for your profile to add your steam name for people to see. However, a whole forum? Naw. Steam is not big enough to warrant its own whole forum here. It is merely a shell to run games from.

Plus, steam technical support should prolly be handled in their internal forum/ticket system for best results.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#6 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3302 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:38 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 15 May 2010 - 11:15 AM, said:

We may even add a custom field for your profile to add your steam name for people to see.

That would be pretty helpful
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#7 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:49 AM

…We could make one sticky of "members and their steam names/groups". We may even add a custom field for your profile to add your steam name for people to see…

I do like the idea of a stickied thread for Steam groups and IDs and communal stuff.

Liberator.

Custom: 3.4 GHz i5 | 16GB RAM | Win 7 SP 1 | nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OCII | 2GB VRAM

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:54 AM

We could make one sticky of "members and their steam names/groups". We may even add a custom field for your profile to add your steam name for people to see.
Sounds like a good idea.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:20 AM

See this thread:

http://www.insidemac...showtopic=39674

Yes, I made a new thread, even though one was started. However the started one is a complete mess for a sticky.

-Fm [1oM7]

#10 The Liberator

The Liberator

• Members
  • 3707 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 16 May 2010 - 08:20 AM, said:

See this thread:

http://www.insidemac...showtopic=39674

Yes, I made a new thread, even though one was started. However the started one is a complete mess for a sticky.

Awesome, cool!

Liberator.