106 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:22 AM

Today is Valve Software's scheduled launch date for the Mac version of Steam. The gaming service will debut with games such as Valve's Portal, Runic Games' Torchlight, and Two Tribes' Toki Tori. Other Valve titles planned for eventual Steam release are Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal 2, and the Half-Life series. Valve will release new Mac offerings every Wednesday.

Here's the press release from the original announcement:

"As we transition from entertainment as a product to entertainment as a service, customers and developers need open, high-quality Internet clients," said Gabe Newell, President of Valve. "The Mac is a great platform for entertainment services."

"Our Steam partners, who are delivering over a thousand games to 25 million Steam clients, are very excited about adding support for the Mac," said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve. "Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs, and we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge. For example, Steam Play, in combination with the Steam Cloud, allows a gamer playing on their work PC to go home and pick up playing the same game at the same point on their home Mac. We expect most developers and publishers to take advantage of Steam Play."

"We looked at a variety of methods to get our games onto the Mac and in the end decided to go with native versions rather than emulation," said John Cook, Director of Steam Development. "The inclusion of WebKit into Steam, and of OpenGL into Source gives us a lot of flexibility in how we move these technologies forward. We are treating the Mac as a tier-1 platform so all of our future games will release simultaneously on Windows, Mac, and the Xbox 360. Updates for the Mac will be available simultaneously with the Windows updates. Furthermore, Mac and Windows players will be part of the same multiplayer universe, sharing servers, lobbies, and so forth. We fully support a heterogeneous mix of servers and clients. The first Mac Steam client will be the new generation currently in beta testing on Windows."

Portal 2 will be Valve's first simultaneous release for Mac and Windows. "Checking in code produces a PC build and Mac build at the same time, automatically, so the two platforms are perfectly in lock-step," said Josh Weier, Portal 2 Project Lead. "We're always playing a native version on the Mac right alongside the PC. This makes it very easy for us and for anyone using Source to do game development for the Mac."
For more information head over to the site below.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

Eh, so what. Wish I could buy and run those games OUTSIDE of steam. It was bad enough installing that thing on my PC (where I honestly dont care if the machine runs like crap)... I seriously do not want to taint my MAC with an ever-running-demanding-and-updating-malware like steam.

But thats just my opinion. I still think you should be allowed to buy and run solo games outside of the steam framework  :angry:

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 Jeyl

Jeyl

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Steam Name:Jeyl
  • Steam ID:jeyl1984

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:04 AM

It's the 12th of May. So....what time will it be released?!
Processor: 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Mac OS X Version 10.7.3

#4 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:07 AM

View PostJeyl, on 12 May 2010 - 08:04 AM, said:

It's the 12th of May. So....what time will it be released?!
Not yet.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#5 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

View Postbookman, on 12 May 2010 - 08:07 AM, said:

Not yet.

Refresh. Refresh. Refresh. Damnit, Gabe! Get up and hit the button!

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#6 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 12 May 2010 - 08:08 AM, said:

Refresh. Refresh. Refresh. Damnit, Gabe! Get up and hit the button!

Maybe one of those head crabs got in the wiring again, and Gabe is warping through time and space.

#7 BAW

BAW

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

Can't wait.

#8 Hobeaux

Hobeaux

Notorious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

View PostBAW, on 12 May 2010 - 08:51 AM, said:

Can't wait.

Looking forward to the Torchlight game though. Hopefully they have a native port of that rather than a Cider runtime or something.
turning the real into the ideal

#9 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:59 AM

View PostHobeaux, on 12 May 2010 - 08:56 AM, said:

Looking forward to the Torchlight game though. Hopefully they have a native port of that rather than a Cider runtime or something.

Yes, native port. Plus those of us who bought it via the Torchlight website (not Steam) for BootCamp were given free Steam versions as well, so we can update to the Mac version free. Nice developers. More than happy to play it again.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#10 nagromme

nagromme

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

Tough decisions coming up. Get the Orange Box (big savings), or TF2+Garry’s Mod ($5 savings)? Or spring for both? (I’ve never played with Garry’s Mod but it sounds cool. Hope it makes it to Mac.)

#11 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

I don't think there's even a decision here.
Get the Orange Box. It's the bigger and better bundle with more content for your money. If you fancy turning it into a crazy sandbox later on, then Garry's Mod isn't going anywhere.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#12 Magnum

Magnum

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

If you guys really want a great deal, you should go for the valve complete pack for $100 dollars, it's EVERYTHING they've released. It's cheaper than buying the Orange Box and then buying some other stuff not in the pack like CS, or L4D 1 or 2.
2.71828183 * 3.14159265 * 299792458

#13 DurandalTycho

DurandalTycho

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

I've been able to download steam from http://store.steampo...lient/steam.dmg and am downloading Portal right now.  It probably won't work, but might be useful for someone wanting to get it before the initial d/l rush.  I heard Torchlight is downloadable too if you have that.

#14 BAW

BAW

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

View PostDurandalTycho, on 12 May 2010 - 11:07 AM, said:

I've been able to download steam from http://store.steampo...lient/steam.dmg and am downloading Portal right now.  It probably won't work, but might be useful for someone wanting to get it before the initial d/l rush.  I heard Torchlight is downloadable too if you have that.

Tried it. Does not work.

#15 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

I think there should be a question mark at the end of the title.

#16 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

I got it!

Login rejected.  Says its still in closed beta.  Guess they're taking it down to the wire.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#17 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • 3895 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

Where? Where?

Grrr, rats.

Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

#18 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 12 May 2010 - 11:29 AM, said:

Where? Where?

Grrr, rats.

The watched pot never boils  :)

#19 DurandalTycho

DurandalTycho

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

I'm also able to d/l the Torchlight demo from steam://install/41510 (put that into your browser).  Gizmodo has instructions to get steam to work here in case you're having trouble with it.  It's still technically in beta so don't expect everything to work right now.

Edit: torchlight is working!

#20 Cougar

Cougar

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1371 posts
  • Steam Name:FuzzyPuffin

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

It works, played some Torchlight and it runs fine. You can also download other third party games if you own them: the lucasarts classics, braid, machinarium, killing floor, World of Goo...

Portal still wont launch though.