Games based on Unity 3D now perma-banned?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

View PostOmaha Sternberg, on 13 April 2010 - 01:01 PM, said:

I've had the opportunity to speak with the folks from Unity, Torque, and GameSalad, and as of yesterday, none of them had spoken directly to Apple. They all expressed that Apple had not spoken to them and had given no indication that they were in the wrong, breaching any contract, etc. Which is not to say that Apple won't in the future. But each believed that their product was probably in the clear, and even if not was flexible enough that it could be changed to quickly accommodate what Apple required.

What really bothers me is that this is not the only lock-down that is in the agreement. Another one has just been revealed about third party software measuring data:

"...the use of third party software in Your Application to collect and send Device Data to a third party for processing or analysis is expressly prohibited."

Some are seeing that as saying goodbye to every ad analysis and advertising company that works with the iPhone/iPod Touch at this time. I can't imagine that it doesn't impact every single social networking leaderboard company either, like Plus+, Scoreloop, and OpenFeint. I mean, aren't those classified as third-party software sending data from your device that is then processed and analyzed?

Omaha

That's odd because I have seen David Helgason mention on his blog that Unity has been in contact both with their official and unofficial contacts inside Apple.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#22 Omaha Sternberg

Omaha Sternberg

iGame Radio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:42 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 13 April 2010 - 03:31 PM, said:

That's odd because I have seen David Helgason mention on his blog that Unity has been in contact both with their official and unofficial contacts inside Apple.

Actually, what he said was, "We have reached out to both official and unofficial contacts at Apple..." I suspect, based on what he said elsewhere in the blog post (and what Tom Higgins, their evangelist has said in other locations), that they have received no response yet.

Apple is, in fact, not making any official statements to anyone at this time that I've seen yet (though note that Steve Jobs doesn't have a problem responding vaguely to emails).

ETA: so I guess I should rephrase what I had said earlier, since I suppose it could be taken in a way I hadn't intended, that they haven't been talking *with* Apple about the issue (unless you consider sending them an email and not getting a response to be "talking with").
Omaha Sternberg
Host
iGame Radio

#23 Matt Diamond

Matt Diamond

Master Blaster

• IMG Writers
  • 2453 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:25 PM

Helgason said in his latest blog post that they would be meeting with Apple's engineers next week. It's all still very much in the air.
Matt Diamond - www.mindthecube.com
Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.