2 replies to this topic

#1 IMG News

IMG News

Pimpbot 4000

• IMG Writers
  • 8622 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:39 AM

Mac.Blorge.com has posted a short article on playing Quake II using the Safari web browser and without the need for Flash. The feat is possible thanks to a recent port of the Quake II engine to HTML5.

Google’s Web Toolkit Blog brings us the superlative news that they’ve ported the Quake II engine to HTML5. No, this isn’t ready for prime time — some command line voodoo is required — but gussying up the code with a point n’ click user interface shouldn’t be too difficult.

"We started with the existing Jake2 Java port of the Quake II engine, then used the Google Web Toolkit (along with WebGL, WebSockets, and a lot of refactoring) to cross-compile it into Javascript. You can see the results in the video above — we were honestly a bit surprised when we saw it pushing over 30 frames per second on our laptops (your mileage may vary)!”"

Again, to play Quake in either Chrome or Safari, you’ll need to download, compile, install and run the code, as well as some necessary add-ons, like Ogg Vorbis and lame. That said, you can get started here.
Visit the page below for more information.
Return to Full Article - InsideMacGames News

#2 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3981 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

Apart form proof of concept, I don't see the point in wasting time on it for an endusers point of view.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#3 ikir

ikir

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Bye bye Flash :D
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13” Touch Bar 2017 i7 3.5Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Mantiz Venus eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8GB