#1 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:33 AM

IIRC, the old forum allowed a link to a member's profile using the member's number. For the new forum, it uses the member's name. However, a member's name can change. So, I want to test this.

Does "the Battle Cat " say "the Battle Cat"?
Does "Bernie " say "Bernie"?
Does " " say "Absorbed Bernie"?

Now, oh mighty Landru, please absorbed me. While I'm absorbed, both look at my post and try quoting it. What I originally wrote in the member='FooBar' was what you see in the quotes just before the question mark at the end of each question. Did the name change automagically change the FooBar as seen from quoting my post? Either way, I see problems. If the FooBar does not change, then linking by name breaks when a name change occurs. If FooBar does change, then there is a race condition when someone is typing a post with member='FooBar' and FooBar's name gets changed and then the post is posted. (Or worse FooBar's name is change to "Betty" and Betty's name is changed to "FooBar" all while the Battle Cat is typing a post. Suddenly tBC's witty remark about FooBar's racy misadventure with bacon and root beer is directed at the newbie, Betty, who has very delicate sensibilities and is simply looking for some suggestions for good games for her young children.)

BTW, the example that is shown when you go to enter a Member style (using the Other styles menu) sucks. It makes you think that you have to type in all of that when you only enter the member's name. In fact, it doesn't tell you that it is the member's name that you're using. By having "admin" in the example, I first though that this style was some way of linking to a category of members.

And now to predict the future:
  • "Bernie, it is so rare that we're not worried about it."
  • "Bernie, you're the only member whose ever had a name change. You get what you deserve. And enjoy the rest of your time here as 'Betty'."
  • "Bernie, I've disabled the Member style."
  • "Bernie, I've disable you."
  • "Bernie, stop being so anal. Here's five bucks; go find a hooker."

One Way of Looking at Life
Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#2 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:06 AM

View PostBernie, on 20 March 2010 - 06:33 AM, said:

IIRC, the old forum allowed a link to a member's profile using the member's number. For the new forum, it uses the member's name. However, a member's name can change. So, I want to test this.

Now, oh mighty Landru, please absorbed me. While I'm absorbed, both look at my post and try quoting it. What I originally wrote in the member='FooBar' was what you see in the quotes just before the question mark at the end of each question. Did the name change automagically change the FooBar as seen from quoting my post? Either way, I see problems. If the FooBar does not change, then linking by name breaks when a name change occurs. If FooBar does change, then there is a race condition when someone is typing a post with member='FooBar' and FooBar's name gets changed and then the post is posted. (Or worse FooBar's name is change to "Betty" and Betty's name is changed to "FooBar" all while the Battle Cat is typing a post. Suddenly tBC's witty remark about FooBar's racy misadventure with bacon and root beer is directed at the newbie, Betty, who has very delicate sensibilities and is simply looking for some suggestions for good games for her young children.)

BTW, the example that is shown when you go to enter a Member style (using the Other styles menu) sucks. It makes you think that you have to type in all of that when you only enter the member's name. In fact, it doesn't tell you that it is the member's name that you're using. By having "admin" in the example, I first though that this style was some way of linking to a category of members.

And now to predict the future:
  • "Bernie, it is so rare that we're not worried about it."
  • "Bernie, you're the only member whose ever had a name change. You get what you deserve. And enjoy the rest of your time here as 'Betty'."
  • "Bernie, I've disabled the Member style."
  • "Bernie, I've disable you."
  • "Bernie, stop being so anal. Here's five bucks; go find a hooker."

WAT?

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#3 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

The system remembers all of your display names.  We can test your concern if you want to.  I'll change your display name and you can look for it, then back and you can look for it.  You should always be able to find yourself, no matter what your display name is.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#4 Whaleman

Whaleman

High Priest of Bork

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5632 posts
  • Steam ID:holybork

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:57 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 20 March 2010 - 09:06 AM, said:

WAT?

WAHT HE SAID!?

http://www.insidemac...r=2900</strong>

IT SAYS NO STINKING FISH?!!

Or to be more clear about what I'm trying to say...

WUT?
You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is my purpose in this universe?

(Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)

***END MESSAGE***

#5 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

• IMG Writers
  • 3298 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

Is Bernie bringing sexy back with his new style ??? Or did tBC banish it for good?
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#6 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 20 March 2010 - 12:38 PM, said:

Is Bernie bringing sexy back with his new style ??? Or did tBC banish it for good?
Huh?  No, it's always been pants optional here at the IMG forums.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#7 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 20 March 2010 - 09:13 AM, said:

The system remembers all of your display names. We can test your concern if you want to. I'll change your display name and you can look for it, then back and you can look for it. You should always be able to find yourself, no matter what your display name is.
Change me to "Absorbed Bernie" and I'll take a look at the results.

For reference:
Attached File  Bernie-Inside.tiff   19.91K   5 downloads
Attached File  Bernie-Outside.tiff   15.21K   4 downloads

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#8 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

View PostAbsorbed Bernie, on 20 March 2010 - 06:33 AM, said:

View PostAbsorbed Bernie, on 20 March 2010 - 06:40 PM, said:

Change me to "Absorbed Bernie" and I'll take a look at the results.

For reference:
Attachment Bernie-Inside.tiff
Attachment Bernie-Outside.tiff
K, you are Absorbed Bernie.  I really have no idea what you are searching for, but hopefully this will help you do science on what ever the hell it is.  It appears the bolded "Bernie" link above has evaporated and "Absorbed Bernie" has now appeared.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#9 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

This is so far over my head...
What's it like up there in the stratosphere guys?
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#10 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

View PostAbsorbed Bernie, on 20 March 2010 - 06:33 AM, said:

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#11 Bernie

Bernie

Naughty

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

Attached File  BernieGetsAbsorbed.pdf   100.35K   2 downloads
The rendering of Post #1 is different than that of Post #10 even though the same "insides" are used. Perhaps the forum software generates the HTML once (when the post is made) and stores/caches it instead of rendering the HTML each time it is needed. If I edited Post #1, I wonder if the HTML would be re-rendered using whatever display name I have at the time.

Is everyone still confused? I suppose so since I haven't been real detailed in my thoughts. I'll try to post a better explanation when I get a bit more free time.

tBC, if you're ready, I can go back to cleaning your litter box being "Bernie" again.

View PostWhaleman, on 20 March 2010 - 10:57 AM, said:

The problem with using a full URL instead of a forum-generated link will rear its ugly head when Bungie offers Tuncer a $Gazillion for the insidemacgames.com domain name and Tuncer moves IMG — lock, stock, barrel, and forum — to img-made-me-rich.com. All of the hard links (which are admittedly easier to use) will point to the wrong website.

Good to be a Master.
Better to be a Teacher.
Best to be a Student.

#12 Frost

Frost

Secretary of Offense

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Steam ID:CaptFrost

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

View Postteflon, on 21 March 2010 - 10:24 AM, said:

This is so far over my head...
What's it like up there in the stratosphere guys?
I couldn't tell you, I'm in the mesosphere myself. I make so little sense I have to come down to the stratosphere just to not make sense in the normal fashion.
Kestrel (Falcon NW Tiki) – 4.0 GHz i7 4790K / 16GB RAM / 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2, 2x480GB Intel 730 (RAID0), 10TB STX BarraCuda Pro / GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB
Iridium (MacBook Pro Mid-2012) – 2.7 GHz i7 3820QM / 16GB RAM / 2TB Samsung 850 Pro / GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Eric5h5:
When there's a multiplayer version, I'm going to be on Frost's team. Well, except he doesn't seem to actually need a team...I mean, what's the point? "Hey look, it's Frost and His Merry Gang of Useless Hangers-On!" Or something.

#13 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

View PostBernie, on 21 March 2010 - 01:07 PM, said:

Attachment BernieGetsAbsorbed.pdf
The rendering of Post #1 is different than that of Post #10 even though the same "insides" are used. Perhaps the forum software generates the HTML once (when the post is made) and stores/caches it instead of rendering the HTML each time it is needed. If I edited Post #1, I wonder if the HTML would be re-rendered using whatever display name I have at the time.
That is what it looks like to me.  The original post as I look at it in edit mode never changes, but as the rendering of it does as your display name changes.  The history of those changes are all saved, anyone can see anyones name change history in their profile.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat