Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:07 AM

View Postjackdawsson, on 25 July 2010 - 09:31 AM, said:

Thanks, but I'll wait.  :)

I don't play WoW, but maybe we have different games in our collections. I don't see ANY difference between performance or graphics in OS X & Windows versions of games like "Rome: TW", all "Age of Empires" games, besides a good few more. Granted they're much older games, but it's still a valid benchmark.

IMO, not unreasonable to expect Apple with all their finances & resources these days to be much more proactive in dealing with these issues.

Well no, not really. The games may well be running 15% slower than their Windows versions, they're just old enough to run faster than your ability to tell the difference.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#62 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:26 AM

Just a heads-up. I just got the game this morning, it has stalled out twice during the install, and the installer actually crashed my Mac. I got the spinning beach ball of death. I don't know how far I got the first time, but the second time it occurred when I got to 52%. Please let me know if any of the rest of you experienced this.

#63 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on 27 July 2010 - 06:26 AM, said:

Just a heads-up. I just got the game this morning, it has stalled out twice during the install, and the installer actually crashed my Mac. I got the spinning beach ball of death. I don't know how far I got the first time, but the second time it occurred when I got to 52%. Please let me know if any of the rest of you experienced this.

All went smoothly for me.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#64 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

View Postdojoboy, on 27 July 2010 - 07:08 AM, said:

All went smoothly for me.
I just had 2 more freeze-ups, 1 @ 59% and the other @ 32%, so I know it's not a problem with a sector on the disc. I decided to just go ahead and install it from the download instead. What a pain in the neck. If I would have known that, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to purchase the hard copy.  :glare:

#65 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on 27 July 2010 - 07:30 AM, said:

I just had 2 more freeze-ups, 1 @ 59% and the other @ 32%, so I know it's not a problem with a sector on the disc. I decided to just go ahead and install it from the download instead. What a pain in the neck. If I would have known that, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to purchase the hard copy.  :glare:
Argh!!! I'm getting freezing with the downloaded installer too! Time to call customer support. I hope it's something that can be remedied fairly easily.  :(

#66 fabforrest

fabforrest

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on 27 July 2010 - 09:24 AM, said:

Argh!!! I'm getting freezing with the downloaded installer too! Time to call customer support. I hope it's something that can be remedied fairly easily.  :(

sounds like you gots a problem on your machine!!!

am i correct in concluding that gameplay is much like WoW?

#67 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

View Postfabforrest, on 27 July 2010 - 10:51 AM, said:

sounds like you gots a problem on your machine!!!

You are fabulously, wildly incorrect.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#68 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

I'm looking forward to playing this one but, at $60, I think I'll be patient and wait until it drops to at least $40, no matter how long that may take.  I've never paid that much for a video game and I'm not going to start now.  Maybe I'll wait until all three parts are bundled together.  We'll see.

It's not like I don't have other games to play in the meantime.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#69 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

View Postclocknova, on 27 July 2010 - 12:02 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to playing this one but, at $60, I think I'll be patient and wait until it drops to at least $40, no matter how long that may take.  I've never paid that much for a video game and I'm not going to start now.  Maybe I'll wait until all three parts are bundled together.  We'll see.

It's not like I don't have other games to play in the meantime.

I'm the opposite of you - I've never paid as much as 50 bucks for a game, but I think I'll take the dip here. Another possibility is to wait a month or two and pick up the collector's edition on ebay for cheap.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#70 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

View Postbookman, on 27 July 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm the opposite of you - I've never paid as much as 50 bucks for a game, but I think I'll take the dip here. Another possibility is to wait a month or two and pick up the collector's edition on ebay for cheap.

Actually, it sound like your very much like me, you just really want this game.  But I only just got Colonization, Europa Universalis 3, Half-Life 2, Rome: Total War, and a few others, not to mention the recent release of the Ultima 6 Project.  I can wait.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#71 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

I'm stocked with games to play for the next months and as much I'd look forward to SC2, I know I can hold out until the price drops. In the past, Blizzard games tended to become cheaper relatively soon, usually before the holidays.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#72 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

Don't forget that you have to also get the two expansions over the next two Blizzard years (a Blizzard year is roughly 18-32 Earth months). So unless you plan to go hardcore and make war on Korea (you will lose), you should be safe to let it sit (since they're guaranteed to keep working on it for at least that long, it shouldn't age as quickly as some games).

I pre-ordered my CE, but I chose free shipping (that's gaming on a budget, yo). I think the shipping notice said it will still get here tomorrow anyway. Sucks to be you if you paid for expedited shipping!

Not that I'll be able to play it this year, but the box will be great for gauging the dust levels in the closet. If it turns too brown, I'll know it's time to clean.

#73 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:14 PM

View Postfabforrest, on 27 July 2010 - 10:51 AM, said:

In the same way that hockey is much like bowling, yes.

--Eric

#74 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:29 PM

View PostdevSin, on 27 July 2010 - 01:54 PM, said:

Don't forget that you have to also get the two expansions over the next two Blizzard years (a Blizzard year is roughly 18-32 Earth months).

:lol:  :thumbsup:

This game launch is...quite a thing.  It is such a big deal that I have friends who bought at midnight who I never imagined being into RTSes, and in fact I'm still not believing that they are or will become so now, it's just The Big Thing to them.  Blizzard's reputation has just plain gone that far off the charts.

#75 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

So, how does the campaign play? Anyone?
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#76 Thinine

Thinine

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

I'll let you know as soon as it finishes installing. In another hour or so.

Comeon Blizzard, how hard is it to make an installer?!

#77 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

I'll get my copy sometime next week. Looking forward to it. Buying it wasn't a tough choice either. I still had $30 promotional credit on Amazon that would have expired at the end of the month, so getting SC2 for half off... greased fire trucking yeah!
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#78 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2324 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

Well, it turns out it was my computer. Don't know what to do about it at the moment. I'll probably boot it up from the 10.6 Disc this weekend and run a repair tool on it. In the mean time, I installed it on another computer, then copied it to my 60 GB iPod, and now I'm copying onto my troubled Mac. There's more than one way to skin a cat!  :P

#79 Naman

Naman

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Well, so much for Blizzard's track record. First time I ran it, it hung loading the campaign. Second time, it wouldn't load the main menu widgets. I restarted, and it worked, but it runs like ass on my Mac Pro twin dual-core 3 GHz machine with 6 GB RAM and an nVidia 8800 GT. I keep lowering settings, and it plays okay, but it seems to progressively get choppier and choppier until it became unplayable a few missions in on the campaign. :/

#80 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

View Postbookman, on 27 July 2010 - 02:39 PM, said:

So, how does the campaign play? Anyone?

I've played the first few chapters on normal difficulty, and it seems a bit too easy.  Right now, I'm in my first battle where I must survive for 15 minutes against the Zerg.  I can see how this one could get dicey on a harder difficulty.  Also, the dialogue in the cut scenes is kind of lame, imho.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh