Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

View PostHansi, on 16 July 2010 - 05:23 PM, said:

Specs are out:

Interesting that both my laptop and my iMac meet those graphic and processor requirements exactly. That is to say, the recommended one's.
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#42 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

I was just invited today to join the SC2 beta.  Thaaaanks.   :rolleyes:
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#43 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

sorry i know im being thick but ive been away from the mac games scene for a long time and i get confused by graphic card numbers.

will this run on my mini 2ghz 9400 ?
iMac 2011 27" 3.2ghz and 1 gb 6970m

#44 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2511 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

View Postjohntravers, on 17 July 2010 - 09:51 AM, said:

will this run on my mini 2ghz 9400 ?

It should, but expect to run it on low settings for it to play smoothly. That's what I had to do.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#45 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

I just got a beta invite as well. With the game out in 10 days I didn't think the beta was still happening. Lol.
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)

#46 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

View PostWumpus, on 17 July 2010 - 04:00 PM, said:

I just got a beta invite as well. With the game out in 10 days I didn't think the beta was still happening. Lol.

I'll see ya in the beginner lobby.  ;)  I'm...dojoboy.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#47 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

It looks like they're taking the beta servers down on Monday, so don't bother to actually download it if you haven't already.

#48 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:03 AM

View Postdojoboy, on 17 July 2010 - 04:04 PM, said:

I'll see ya in the beginner lobby. ;) I'm...dojoboy.

Cool, I'm Baz in there :)

#49 johntravers

johntravers

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

View PostPegasus, on 17 July 2010 - 10:30 AM, said:

It should, but expect to run it on low settings for it to play smoothly. That's what I had to do.

cool cheers
iMac 2011 27" 3.2ghz and 1 gb 6970m

#50 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

Ah boo, Beta's over. (as someone said it would be.) I got it for like a day and a half? Still gave me a taste.

#51 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

If the game it going to ship in a week, it must have gone to press by now. How big will the first day patch be? =]

#52 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

July 27, 2010

Blizzard Entertainment's day one patch for Starcraft 2 surprised fans and reviewers alike
today when it was revealed that the Protoss race is being eliminated from the game.

"From the start, this game was supposed to be a man-vs-beast bloodbath" said Blizzard
CEO Mike Morhaime. "But halfway through development (Lead Designer) Dustin Browder
had this totally gay idea about some stupid space elves casting magic spells and he just
wouldn't shut up about it.  We had to give him his toys just to keep the project moving."

"What the hell does he think this is," Morhaime added, "Warhammer or something?"

#53 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:29 AM

View PostCougar, on 17 May 2010 - 04:41 PM, said:

I thought this too, then I played it in Bootcamp. Soooo much smoother.
I'm reading similar comments on MacRumors, some stating that you'll see about 15% better performance in Windows.  That's quite a difference. So what gives?  Anyone know why the performance in Windows is so much better when using the same hardware?  Thanks in advance.

#54 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:06 AM

The usual... Just having less developed drivers, combined with the myriad different ways that OSX handles graphics.

I'd hope that (but after the Source engine driver debacle, I'm not too hopeful) Apple will dish out a decent graphics update that has some SC2 specific optimisations, much like drivers on the Windows side of things will have.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#55 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:31 AM

Seeing as how you are talking about Starcraft 2's performance, a friend of mine has had the beta for quite some time now. He has played it on both Windows and Mac, on his iMac. He told me that he noticed a major difference in performance on Windows vs OS X. For now, Starcraft 2 for OS X does not perform nearly as well. He told me that you really notice it during unit-heavy battles too, the frame rate can grind to a near-hault at times on OS X, but windows runs things smoothly. He is running an iMac with a Radeon HD 4850 512mb card using OS X 10.6.x and Windows XP SP2 via Bootcamp. I am sure that Blizzard will fix this issue eventually, they have been quite kind to their mac users over the years and I doubt that they will leave OS X in the cold this time.

-- On a side note, does the lack of LAN playability in Starcraft 2 bother anyone else?

#56 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:39 AM

Many thanks for the clarifications to both of you!  Frankly, as interesting as it's disappointing. - BTW, had hoped to vote both of your answers up, but forum software doesn't allow more than one vote per user a day.

View Postteflon, on 25 July 2010 - 06:06 AM, said:

I'd hope that (but after the Source engine driver debacle, I'm not too hopeful) Apple will dish out a decent graphics update that has some SC2 specific optimisations, much like drivers on the Windows side of things will have.

View PostDiablofett, on 25 July 2010 - 06:31 AM, said:

Seeing as how you are talking about Starcraft 2's performance, a friend of mine has had the beta for quite some time now. He has played it on both Windows and Mac, on his iMac. He told me that he noticed a major difference in performance on Windows vs OS X. For now, Starcraft 2 for OS X does not perform nearly as well. He told me that you really notice it during unit-heavy battles too, the frame rate can grind to a near-hault at times on OS X, but windows runs things smoothly. He is running an iMac with a Radeon HD 4850 512mb card using OS X 10.6.x and Windows XP SP2 via Bootcamp. I am sure that Blizzard will fix this issue eventually, they have been quite kind to their mac users over the years and I doubt that they will leave OS X in the cold this time.
I should hope so!  For now, I'm delaying buying a copy until we have more info on fixes from Blizzard or, though less likely, specific updates from Apple.

#57 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

It's nothing more than we've seen in any port out there... So there's no real reason to hold off buying it.
WoW has a big deficit from Win to OSX too.

Over the next few weeks, Blizzard will either nudge Apple into improving their drivers, and/or, given their previous support levels, likely get cracking on the work arounds.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64

#58 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

View Postteflon, on 25 July 2010 - 07:59 AM, said:

It's nothing more than we've seen in any port out there... So there's no real reason to hold off buying it.
WoW has a big deficit from Win to OSX too.

Over the next few weeks, Blizzard will either nudge Apple into improving their drivers, and/or, given their previous support levels, likely get cracking on the work arounds.
Thanks, but I'll wait.  :)

I don't play WoW, but maybe we have different games in our collections. I don't see ANY difference between performance or graphics in OS X & Windows versions of games like "Rome: TW", all "Age of Empires" games, besides a good few more. Granted they're much older games, but it's still a valid benchmark.

IMO, not unreasonable to expect Apple with all their finances & resources these days to be much more proactive in dealing with these issues.

#59 Diablofett

Diablofett

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

View Postbadger2d, on 11 May 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

The Queen can make a creep tumor, which expands creep, and which can generate more creep tumors as well.

Oh now that just sounds nasty. I have not played Starcraft 2 yet myself, but it sure sounds like they made the Zerg even nastier than before! Of course, that is not a bad thing... one would imagine that such a species would have many vulgar aspects to it I guess.

#60 teflon

teflon

• Members
  • 9589 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

View Postjackdawsson, on 25 July 2010 - 09:31 AM, said:

I don't play WoW, but maybe we have different games in our collections. I don't see ANY difference between performance or graphics in OS X & Windows versions of games like "Rome: TW", all "Age of Empires" games, besides a good few more. Granted they're much older games, but it's still a valid benchmark.

So old that any difference is completely immaterial. Having said that, the performance drop is still there, it's just that instead of dropping from 30 to 25 frames, it's dropping from 100 to 80 frames and so somewhat less noticeable.
It's just how it is, and there's no real way around it.

Rome TW will have a drop, as will AoE3, but both are several years old, so that your machine can just breeze through them.

The last games that performed about level with both OSX and Windows were Quake 3 (after several years of post release optimisations for OSX and PPC), and Close Combat First to Fight, which was lead on Mac and also had specific optimisations for the G4 and G5 processor...

There's no point in waiting, because I guarantee there will be a performance deficit in a few months time too, it just might not be quite so pronounced. The only benefit to waiting is that you'll save a little money because it will have come down in price.