#1 Melismatic

Melismatic

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

Hi everyone,

Just a general post about Starcraft 2 really.

Does anyone know the official release date? I've seen some youtube videos of the online play. The new Battle net looks amazing.

Also, will the online play be released when the game is released?
An eye for an eye...

And the world would actually be half blind.

#2 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

View PostMelismatic, on 08 March 2010 - 01:41 PM, said:

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the official release date? I've seen some youtube videos of the online play. The new Battle net looks amazing.

As I recall it is slated for a summer release, and it will include the Terran episode, but multiplayer will include all factions.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#3 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7205 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:45 PM

View PostMelismatic, on 08 March 2010 - 01:41 PM, said:

Hi everyone,

There's a multiplayer beta, but so far only for Windows and only for limited participants. As far as I understood that, there might be a Mac beta upcoming, but no idea when. And the release date? When it's done.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#4 Melismatic

Melismatic

Fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

View PostJanichsan, on 08 March 2010 - 01:45 PM, said:

There's a multiplayer beta, but so far only for Windows and only for limited participants. As far as I understood that, there might be a Mac beta upcoming, but no idea when. And the release date? When it's done.

Well I hope they release it this year. They've got everybody excited about it now.

I've heard a rumours of an online fee too. Which I find hard to believe seeing as they make millions of WoW alone.
An eye for an eye...

And the world would actually be half blind.

#5 devSin

devSin

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

Hmm, Rob is too busy doing Valve's dirty work now, so the Mac beta test is TBD.

The game is still scheduled for 1H10; definitely this year at any rate. From what they've announced, there's no fee for Battle.net, but it's possible some specialized services may be provided at cost (same as with some WoW services that have additional cost).

#6 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3396 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

I'm certainly ready for this.  I especially like the ability to find like-skilled players in Battle.net for MP.  I'm already for my group -> Casual Newbs 'R Us.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#7 icemac

icemac

Fanatic

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:01 AM

Got my beta invitation last week and i think that indicates that the mac beta is close.
Blizzard was quoted that it would be mac beta in april and so far i know a few mac users who have gotten a beta inv most have opted for bootcamp since we can download the PC beta atm.
I'm still patiently waiting for the mac version, hope it comes soon.
Extoxic - 90 -UD - Warlock Stormrage EU
Ypsilon - 90 - Troll - Priest Grim'batol EU
Ephany - 90 - BE - Paladin Stormrage EU
Clarina - 90 - BE - Rogue Stormrage EU

Mac Pro (Nehalem) Quad 3.33 Ghz 12 GB ram Nvidia GTX 660ti 2GB
MacBook Pro Retina 2.3 GHz  i7 8 GB ram Geforce 560M GT 1 GB
Power Mac G5 Dual 2 Ghz 2.5 GB ram Geforce 5200FX 64 MB

#8 bookman

bookman

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

Starcraft 2 and the Valve games are going to keep me busy for quite a while, atleast until Diablo 3 comes out.
Work: MacBook - 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - X3100 graphics.
Home: Mini - 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo - 2 GB RAM - GeForce 9400 graphics.

#9 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

I got a Mac beta invite on Saturday morning, but when I logged in to battle.net, SCII wasn't in my list of games, so I can't download the client. I saw one posting related to this on the battle.net forum, but I can't post anything because I don't have the SCII key. Has anyone else run into this issue?

#10 jptelthorst

jptelthorst

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:17 AM

View PostXxtraLarGe, on 10 May 2010 - 09:42 AM, said:

I got a Mac beta invite on Saturday morning, but when I logged in to battle.net, SCII wasn't in my list of games, so I can't download the client. I saw one posting related to this on the battle.net forum, but I can't post anything because I don't have the SCII key. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Exact same thing happened to me.  I contacted blizzard and here is the reply I got:

Greetings & Salutations!

Thank you for contacting Blizzard Entertainment Technical Support. My name is Lucy, and I will do my best to get you back in the game.

I apologize for the confusion. You should get the SC2 beta in your us.battle.net account page in a few days.

Have an Epic Day!
Sincerely,
Lucy T.

Telthorst.net

#11 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts
  • Steam Name:Mister Mumbles

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

View Postjptelthorst, on 10 May 2010 - 10:17 AM, said:

Exact same thing happened to me.  I contacted blizzard and here is the reply I got:

Guess I should send an e-mail their way as well because I have the very same issue.
Formerly known as a Mac gamer.

#12 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:23 AM

Gratzi!

View Postjptelthorst, on 10 May 2010 - 10:17 AM, said:

#13 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:40 PM

I guess somebody must have read that e-mail I sent this morning, since the beta appeared on my account page after I came home from work. I didn't get a reply e-mail though. *shrug* Works for me. Downloading now...

#14 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

I'm positively surprised. Judging from people's previous impressions I was almost expecting a travesty on my Maccer, but it turns out it runs the game quite well on medium on native res. Don't knock that integrated 9400M. ;) Even at that 'lower' setting the game looks really good. I wouldn't be surprised if the performance went up a little more as Blizzard tweaks the game more. Though the loadtimes could be a bit shorter.

So my first match as novice Zerg vs Terran didn't go much of anywhere for a while until I brought out the big guns. He just obliterated my Zerg army with them damn siege tanks. Enter the toughened Ultralisk; those sure ripped his troops a new one. The winning stroke was taking a group of my overlords and dumping six ultralisks and a few dozen hydralisk in the back of his main base. Not much of a defense there as he was more worried about the front. It didn't help him that he was very slow in expanding his resource gathering effort. Well, 'twas fun.

The differences/non-existence of some units definitely threw me a bit. It will be a bit of a learning curve. Is there any way to permanently expand creep? So far I only found out about the temporary creep the overlords can ooze onto the ground. I can see how well that could work in tandem with the tunnel though.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting reacquainted with the SC universe.

#15 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:07 AM

Me too.  Got the email friday morning, the beta finally showed up last night after an email to blizzard.

#16 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

Well, I've found out two things so far.  1) its everything I expected.  2) I'm really really really rusty.  I wish there was a tutorial before throwing you back in the fire.

#17 badger2d

badger2d

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

View PostPegasus, on 11 May 2010 - 12:36 AM, said:

Is there any way to permanently expand creep? So far I only found out about the temporary creep the overlords can ooze onto the ground. I can see how well that could work in tandem with the tunnel though.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting reacquainted with the SC universe.

The Queen can make a creep tumor, which expands creep, and which can generate more creep tumors as well.

#18 Mister Mumbles

Mister Mumbles

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2510 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:00 PM

Sounds thoroughly disgusting. Me like! :thumbsup: I've always been a fan of the Zerg.

#19 XxtraLarGe

XxtraLarGe

Master Blaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

View PostBenRoethig, on 11 May 2010 - 07:36 AM, said:

Well, I've found out two things so far.  1) its everything I expected.  2) I'm really really really rusty.  I wish there was a tutorial before throwing you back in the fire.

+100% agree with you on the tutorial. I got owned in my first newbie game. I guess I must have played it a lot though 10 years ago, because I instinctively remembered to hit the space key when new units were created. The game plays fairly well on my 24" iMac as well, but when I crank up the settings, it becomes really laggy. That's another area where a tutorial would help, since you could experiment with your settings and not have it count against your newbie games.

View PostPegasus, on 10 May 2010 - 09:40 PM, said:

I guess somebody must have read that e-mail I sent this morning, since the beta appeared on my account page after I came home from work. I didn't get a reply e-mail though. *shrug* Works for me. Downloading now...
I didn't get my follow-up email until I had already downloaded & played a couple of games.  :lol:

#20 BenRoethig

BenRoethig

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

Honestly, I'm pretty impressed by the performance.  I wouldn't call my ALU iMac exactly cutting edge and it runs at native 1600x1080 resolution at medium quality without a hiccup.