38 replies to this topic

#21 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:12 AM

Flower Power, yes. Currently waiting for the nurses and the pink color…

#22 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:01 AM

"WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - Arcade Missions" …Winter 2014 for iOS

This video just shows the start menu of the first title of the WOTA submarine simulation series: "WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - Arcade Missions". (Graphics quality of iPod touch 5 gen., iPhone 4S, iPad2)… Well, actually I think it also shows some nice mobile 3D Graphics and I really didn't thought I could even add this PostFX… but it works :-)

Does "Arcade Missions" mean "arcade mode"? No!
It's a realistic U-Boat simulation for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. But instead of freely navigating during the missions of a campaign the games offers a fast arcade style campaign mode to go from battle to battle without the need to use a map and with no land at all in V1.0 - hence the name "Arcade Missions". Also it does not offer "super extra realism" like the later titles will do.
Some more details after Christmas…

Release date: this winter

Please note: The Seehund sub sim will be delayed because of this title - I've changed target of development to "Arcade Missions" already in october.

#23 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

#24 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

Posted Image

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#25 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:16 PM

heavy seas:

https://www.youtube....8y_UB-9xEs&HD=1

global illumination (real time, mobile, Unity 4):

https://www.youtube....8y_UB-9xEs&HD=1

#26 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:19 PM

Wat da fuk, the visuals have really improved!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#27 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

cloud dependent lighting

https://www.youtube....BbarikVnuA&HD=1

Examples of lighting
Posted Image

Posted Image

much more examples of lighting here (20 more pictures, I don't want to spam this thread) https://www.facebook...152821184154604

#28 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 31 October 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

Wat da fuk, the visuals have really improved!
Thanks.

I've worked 24/7 on it. Especially on my global illumination system which works extremely fast.
And also a lot on the core of the simulation. Correct calculation of all ballast tanks (really detailed, checks even if the speed at the nozzle is subsonic or not), correct buoyancy and historical accurate tactical diameters of the submarine (which worked out of the box in my system after entering the historical ship data from original documents… well out of the box after weeks of reading math about ship building and hydrodynamics), simulation of the diesel engine is also accurate. I've discussed most technical aspects of the U-Boat with the former (post war, early 1950s) chief engineer of a Type VII U-Boat.

#29 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • 3802 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Wow, really impressive!

Since you are going into that amount of detail, I really have to try the game out when released. I loved old u-boat sims anyway.

One minor request though: Have the sailers on the deck of the u-boat move with the waves. They looked kind of stiff in the movie. 8)
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#30 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

They were just placed there quick & dirty for the demo app (which was needed by a 3rd company)

#31 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

From my newest Newsletter:

Progress made in 2014:

- Visually WOTA definitely reached desktop quality on mobile now.
- Implemented my custom high performant global illumination system.
- new custom physically based shaders with real time IBL (Image based lighting).
- Improved the water shader with transparency and refractions.
- Water color based on weather and lighting.
- Water shader works now for higher altitudes of the camera - up to 10,000 meters.
- New realistic underwater environment with correct visibility, crepuscular rays and caustics.
- new FX, fire, smoke, depth charge explosions, large water splashes and new ship trails.
- New dynamic clouds with correct lighting. Weather FX like thunderbolts (this all works with real time IBL).
- All new 3D model of the Type VII U-Boat „U 96“.
- Highly detailed 3D interor of the command room.
- New buoyancy and underwater physics system.
- Correct hydrodynamic simulation - matches historic Type VII test data by 90% in all situations.
- Correct simulation of the diesel engines and propulsion. (which means for you: absolutely correct acceleration and fuel consumption).
- Correct simulation of all ballast tanks (including damage) based on newest scientific research for computer controlled ballast tanks. (my head is still smoking)
- Physically correct aircraft simulation based on the blade element theory
- Aircraft AI which really flies the aircraft with a virtual joystick. (crazy stuff, would in theory even work with RC models if they are fitted with sensors)
- New skin shader for the new characters.
- School of fish implemented into my underwater environment
- Tons of stuff and optimizations under the hood.

The website got some updates - especially the description of the game play of "WOTA: U 96": http://www.wolves-of-the-atlantic.com

Examples for new things mentioned in the newsletter #1:

The 3D interior and the submerged U-Boat can be seen in the new "WOTA: U-Boat Compass" app: https://itunes.apple...ass/id956825556
It shows some stuff of WOTA (3D interior and submerged U-Boat) in the "animated compass tour" (can be accessed from the "information" menu)… beside that it is a really cool 3D compass which shows a working 3D model of U-Boat Compass Repeater (in different designs) which can be looked at from all directions with a panorama of the command room of U 995 in the background. I've made this in cooperation with the Technical Museum U 995 of the German Naval Association.

You can see the content which is like in the game at the end of the App Preview Video:

You can run the "test bed" of the engine simulation in a web browser (Mac/PC only)
Set the different standard engine settings and see the screw running, a time/velocity curve for the acceleration plotted, resistance and thrust and it shows things like current SHP, fuel consumption etc.

http://www.wolves-of...WOTAengine.html

In this video (outdated boat shaders) you can see the engine stuff above running with a terrible GUI in my Unity project (BTW: as you can see I'm using the same compass from that app in the game)
Nothing special happens there, I think I've made this video a while a go to show the implemented compass to a friend.

#32 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

Examples for new things mentioned in the newsletter #2

This video (which is WIP) shows the effect of changing the cloud settings on the appearance of the water and the boat (because it is a test the boat is "lifted" out of the water)

FX example - depth charge:

#33 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

Examples for new things mentioned in the newsletter #3:

WIP of thunderbolt effects

Thundebolts and new clouds:

#34 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

Examples for new things mentioned in the newsletter #4:

This shows new clouds & ocean running on iPad (video uses still the old buoyancy system from 2011 which is outdated)

Example of the AI for aircraft and gunners (Note: this shows a completely different and ugly test environment)

#35 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

Examples for new things mentioned in the newsletter #5

In this video you can see the new shaders and the global illumination system running. It demonstrates the visible effect it has on everything when the time of day / light changes. It also shows the improved water shader with refractions/transparency.

The upcoming version of the Unity Engine will also come with a global illumination system but my own global illumination system is custom, offers a freaking fast performance on all devices, and it is optimized for the needs of WOTA.

(filmed from iPad screen)

This really old video of my flight simulation model gives you an idea about the FDM based on the blade element theory (it does not show any other WOTA related things and the video has nothing to do with WOTA… except for the FDM) PLEASE GO TO 1 minute and 17 seconds to see the visual output of the FDM:

Some pictures from the submerged U-Boat:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 zzorrann

zzorrann

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:52 PM

Works perfect, i love it!

ginrummy

#37 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:59 PM

I've set the App "WOTA U-Boat Compass" FREE for Black Friday and Saturday.
The app offers a kind of little preview of some of the 3D artwork of the game (animated compass tour)
https://itunes.apple...ass/id956825556

#38 v-i-c-

v-i-c-

Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything new about the WOTA. I’ve wrote a newsletter and released it on the website:

https://hessburg.com...te_of_the_game/

#39 DirtyHarry50

DirtyHarry50

Special Snowflake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1553 posts
  • Steam Name:DirtyHarry
  • Steam ID:dirtyharry2

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:21 PM

This looks great. I hope you have a prosperous new year ahead and continue to make progress on the game. Meantime, that shoot 'em up looks fun. I'll pick that up for my iPad and spread the word among family, etc. about both games. My brother-in-law in particular is a big fan of iOS gaming.

Thanks for finding time to come along and update us here.
“The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” — Bertrand Russell