Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 07 March 2010 - 10:10 AM, said:

You mean the "vote up" and "vote down" votes besides each post?  The number should appear to the right of the voting buttons.  They are zero by default.
Whenever I click it, it keeps telling me I have reached my limit for votes today. Yet, I have never voted a thread ever before lol. I guess there is a bug somewhere, or setting I have set too strict haha.

And... someone find me a new nodding Smiley ... this one with the white streaks in firefox3.6 (its a firefox bug) is driving me nuts!

Actually, I would like to find a whole new set of clean ".png" style smileys that are smooth alphad to transparent backgrounds....

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#22 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

I like how editing is now 100% inline.  :thumbsup:
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#23 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

I have to say I like the new look and was taken by complete surprise when I decided to visit this forum today.

#24 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3820 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:00 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 07 March 2010 - 09:25 AM, said:

Dont know about votes. Thats something new... never looked into it yet.

As for your icon on posts, well, the upper right is a thumbnail of your profile photo. The image that goes with your posts is your Avatar. They are two different ones, editable in your profile settings area.
Ah, didn't know that there was a difference between avatar and profile photo... Thanks!
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#25 ehuelga

ehuelga

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Steam Name:El Spud

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:55 PM

Nice redesign. A bit too much dead space making the page seem a bit sparse, but readability is pretty good; maybe tighten up the top or bottom bar of each post (combine them into one?). Agree the orange pips are preferred.
The commute from Mill Valley to Cupertino is a real bitch.

#26 Cobra

Cobra

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:57 PM

Will the website itself be given the same nice facelift?

#27 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

View Postehuelga, on 08 March 2010 - 04:55 PM, said:

Nice redesign. A bit too much dead space making the page seem a bit sparse, but readability is pretty good; maybe tighten up the top or bottom bar of each post (combine them into one?). Agree the orange pips are preferred.
Combining them wouldn't work too well. There is actually a LOT more garbage in those bars when you are a mod and more as admin. Wouldn't be able to fit it all :(

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#28 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

View PostCobra, on 08 March 2010 - 04:57 PM, said:

Will the website itself be given the same nice facelift?
Errr... we would like too. Its just the main website is ... very old. Everything was hard coded in multiple places with no real clear/clean setup to allow changing of the html. It is pretty much a gut job. One I am dreading, but eventually will get too.

-Fm [1oM7]

#29 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:51 PM

Fix the economy while you are at it Fm.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#30 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

View Postthe Battle Cat, on 08 March 2010 - 06:51 PM, said:

Fix the economy while you are at it Fm.
That's beyond help. Just move away from the USA and you'll be happier ;)

-Fm [1oM7]

#31 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 07 March 2010 - 10:14 AM, said:

Whenever I click it, it keeps telling me I have reached my limit for votes today. Yet, I have never voted a thread ever before lol. I guess there is a bug somewhere, or setting I have set too strict haha.
OK, I've fixed this.  Members, Admins, IMG Writers, Developers, and IMG Pro members should be able to vote on the topics.  Let me know if you are in one of these groups and cannot a vote a post up or down.  That said, I not sure what use this feature will have, but here it is.  Each person gets 5 votes up and 5 votes down per 24 hour period.  Let me know if you think that is too much or too little.  I think the votes should be limited or it will be abused.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#32 Mr. Selvetarm

Mr. Selvetarm

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

What do the votes do besides upping or lowering the number in the box? Can you make it like the Engadget comment system used to be, where a post thats been upvoted a certain number of times turns a different color, and the same for down voted posts>

Gosh it's been a while... Sold the Green Monster and the iPad for a truly amazing new beast.

THE RAINBOW GREMLIN: i5-760 @ 3.2ghz, ASUS H57 Mobo, EVGA 470 GTX (1280mb) , 8gb OCZ Reaper HPC, 60gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 2tb Samsung F3, 800 Watt Corsair PSU

#33 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

Seconded! different colour posts for the win!

Also, it should be a total number of votes, not a certain number of each type. Say 7 total to keep a good mix. I can't see too many negative votes happening, really, so a couple more being available to positive, and having them multipurpose would be better, I think.

Oh, and apologies about the negative vote above Fm, I was just testing how the limits worked.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#34 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

View PostMr. Selvetarm, on 13 March 2010 - 12:16 PM, said:

What do the votes do besides upping or lowering the number in the box? Can you make it like the Engadget comment system used to be, where a post thats been upvoted a certain number of times turns a different color, and the same for down voted posts>
The votes determine a members "Reputation", which is visible in the upper leftish under your profile picture in your profile.  No, there is no provision for turning a post a different color, this appears to be post independent other than the vehicle for voting.  There is however a provision for having an icon appear for each reputation level though it's not apparent if it is visible in the profile, member data in a post, or both.  Voting up or down is cumulative to the total reputation of a member and not that of a single post.  

View Postteflon, on 13 March 2010 - 12:45 PM, said:

Seconded! different colour posts for the win!

Also, it should be a total number of votes, not a certain number of each type. Say 7 total to keep a good mix. I can't see too many negative votes happening, really, so a couple more being available to positive, and having them multipurpose would be better, I think.

Oh, and apologies about the negative vote above Fm, I was just testing how the limits worked.
::tBC bats down the second like it was a moth and eats it::  To the gulag with you and your democracy.  The way it appears to work is that if you get 7 positive votes and 2 negative votes your reputation is 5.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#35 teflon

teflon

Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

Hot damn! Well I will now have to make it my life's mission to make your rep as negative as possible!

Anyway, out of interest, what was wrong with my "7 total votes per day" idea, and why is "5 positive and 5 negative votes per day" better? I don't think it makes too much sense. It's a bit like having two different currencies which add together for a single monetary system. You get to the till and it costs you 4 units of food money, and 10 units of other money to add up to the bill. If I want to buy 14 units of food, I can't because I'm stuck with stupid other money and there's no way to swap the two.

If only buying food was simpler?!?
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#36 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

5 positive and 5 negative per day? Is that how it is ??? lol, yeah, I agree with teflon on how thats kind of promoting people to give negatives just because they have a limit to use up.

-Fm [1oM7]

#37 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17436 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

View Postteflon, on 13 March 2010 - 04:00 PM, said:

Hot damn! Well I will now have to make it my life's mission to make your rep as negative as possible!

Anyway, out of interest, what was wrong with my "7 total votes per day" idea, and why is "5 positive and 5 negative votes per day" better? I don't think it makes too much sense. It's a bit like having two different currencies which add together for a single monetary system. You get to the till and it costs you 4 units of food money, and 10 units of other money to add up to the bill. If I want to buy 14 units of food, I can't because I'm stuck with stupid other money and there's no way to swap the two.

If only buying food was simpler?!?
I'm not saying it's better this way, I'm just saying how the system is set up.  Your idea is better but there is no way to implement it.  I'll reduce the number to one each a day, but I can't set it so that those two votes can either be positive OR negative.  To be clear there is one text entry for how many positive votes you have per day, and another text entry for how many negative votes per day.  There is no provision for an either/or situation.

EDIT:  I've changed it so that members get one vote up and one vote down per day.  IMG Pro, Moderators and Admins get 2.  Use your vote wisely.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat