Jump to content


Oh Wow!


  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:13 PM

nice new layout  :thumbsup:

It's very clean and concise
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#2 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

    Minion Tormentor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

I'd comment, but I'm going through and downvoting all of tBC's posts.  I'll be back later.

--Eric

#3 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

    Legendary

  • IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

I have mixed feelings about this reformat. I am not in love with the everything floating in space look, but I'm intrigued by some of the new functionality. Jury's out...

#4 ikir

ikir

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Steam Name:ikir
  • Location:In front of my Mac

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:48 AM

Nice layout :-)
ikir's personal page
MacBook Pro 13" 2016 i5 2,9Ghz - 8GB RAM - 512GB SSD
Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Radeon Nitro+ RX 480 4GB
LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt
Steelseries Rival 300, Steelseries Siberia v3Prism, Logitech K811

#5 Janichsan

Janichsan

    Jugger Bugger

  • Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan
  • Location:over there

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:12 AM

Huh – wha...? Everythings so bright and shiny. It must be the future.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"


#6 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:38 AM

I f-ing love it!
It's almost like something that's been carved out of pure future, thus bringing forward the end of the world by 49 minutes.
Completely awesome.
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#7 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

    Eye Sea Yew

  • Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Location:East mahn, East!
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

The floaty stuff is new to get used too, yeah. The IMG Menu, the User controls menu, the sidebar thingy... you'll get used to them ;)

Its brighter because we want to brake away from the bland gray gray, tinge lighter gray, tinge darker gray, gray, some grey, and more gray. Hopefully its not too extreme that it has some color in it, and is brighter in spots. If it becomes an eye sore, I can reduce some of the bright spots down a couple degrees. Oh, and yeah, when you come across something green... thats intentional. I think.  :unsure:

We chose a direction with the skin that requires less work to rebuild it all from scratch each and every time that the forum code is updated. So, hopefully that means no more years between much needed upgrades and we will be more current!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester


#8 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Location:UK, The 51st State.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

View Postalldaveallen, on 05 March 2010 - 11:47 PM, said:

I have mixed feelings about this reformat. I am not in love with the everything floating in space look, but I'm intrigued by some of the new functionality. Jury's out...
Same here. Kind of reminds me of MacWorld.com's changes last year. Whether the overall effect actually improves or detracts from reading text (or maybe it has no effect either way?) will of course be a subjective issue. For me at least the latter is a key thing, though the overall effect will probably go down well with the majority.

#9 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

    Eye Sea Yew

  • Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Location:East mahn, East!
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:08 AM

I'd like to also note, that the "View New Posts" is much different now.

1) It wont error on you with bright red boxes and flashing lights if no new posts exist. It will now say there simply are no new posts.

2) You get the link by clicking the text link on the upper right under the header/nav band. The link is right next to the RSS feed icon. So you can use that now for bookmarks if you had them, because the old bookmarked link wont result in anything.

View Postjackdawsson, on 06 March 2010 - 08:04 AM, said:

Same here. Kind of reminds me of MacWorld.com's changes last year. Whether the overall effect actually improves or detracts from reading text (or maybe it has no effect either way?) will of course be a subjective issue. For me at least the latter is a key thing, though the overall effect will probably go down well with the majority.
Actually I'm curious on what you guys mean by floaty stuff, and detracting from reading?

The floaty things I know of, only pop out when you activate them. So, if its bothering you from reading, then dont click on them while you are reading something? I'm confused what you mean.

Maybe screenshot some things, and draw circles, or arrows, and point to things that are bothering you. I will then see if its something we can smoothen out or not. Sound cool? It might be best if you post those images to the sticky thread here:

http://www.insidemac...showtopic=39138

We dont want to hijack this thread.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester


#10 teflon

teflon

    Bastard of the Popeye Analogy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9589 posts
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

Took me a while to find the "new posts' thing. It's now at the bottom under "recently active content". I wonder if it could maybe moved to the top? Or even have a little thingy on the right hand side?

edit: oops ,hadn't read the above post properly...
Polytetrafluoroethylene to my friends.

Macbook Pro - C2D 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Geforce 8600M GT 256Mb / 15.4"
Cube - G4 1.7Ghz 7448 / 1.5GB RAM / Samsung Spinpoint 250GB / Geforce 6200 256Mb
Self-built PC - C2Q Q8300 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / Samsung 830 256GB SSD / Radeon 7850 OC 1GB / W7 x64
and a beautiful HP LP2475w 24" H-IPS monitor

#11 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Location:UK, The 51st State.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 06 March 2010 - 08:08 AM, said:

Actually I'm curious on what you guys mean by floaty stuff, and detracting from reading?

The floaty things I know of, only pop out when you activate them. So, if its bothering you from reading, then dont click on them while you are reading something? I'm confused what you mean.

Maybe screenshot some things, and draw circles, or arrows, and point to things that are bothering you. I will then see if its something we can smoothen out or not. Sound cool? It might be best if you post those images to the sticky thread here:

http://www.insidemac...showtopic=39138
Thanks for taking my post on board, so please allow me to clarify that I was mostly agreeing with alldaveallen about being unsure about the new design as a 1st impression &, for me, its effect on reading. However, I did say that it's "subjective". Maybe alldaveallen meant things differently by his "everything floating in space look", but I meant my agreement purely in a figurative way.

I quite like some of the new design's minimalism, but the overall effect for me on an iMac's glossy screen is a bit more glare than with the older layout. The previous, darker grey background just seemed easier on my eyes. That's no fault of the site's new look, more so Apple's glossy screens (my 20" iMac has the older, TN panel which is clearly inferior to the current IPS screens). Looks fine on my iBook though. :)

FWIW, I do a lot of my writing in WPs which allow selection of darker backgrounds, hence that's what my eyes are used to. I hope this explains my previous post.

#12 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

    Eye Sea Yew

  • Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Location:East mahn, East!
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

View Postjackdawsson, on 06 March 2010 - 10:51 AM, said:

Thanks for taking my post on board, so please allow me to clarify that I was mostly agreeing with alldaveallen about being unsure about the new design as a 1st impression &, for me, its effect on reading. However, I did say that it's "subjective". Maybe alldaveallen meant things differently by his "everything floating in space look", but I meant my agreement purely in a figurative way.

I quite like some of the new design's minimalism, but the overall effect for me on an iMac's glossy screen is a bit more glare than with the older layout. The previous, darker grey background just seemed easier on my eyes. That's no fault of the site's new look, more so Apple's glossy screens (my 20" iMac has the older, TN panel which is clearly inferior to the current IPS screens). Looks fine on my iBook though. :)

FWIW, I do a lot of my writing in WPs which allow selection of darker backgrounds, hence that's what my eyes are used to. I hope this explains my previous post.

Ohh. Yeah. The lighter general background was a bold move from the old style. I may end up just toning it down more since it is a bit glaring like you said. My first impression when going through the forums after I setup the skin, was "hmm... might be a bit too bright for an audience used to a dim color scheme...". I might make a poll about it in a week, after people have used this current color scheme more. I may just end up making it a Pro choice only  :P

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester


#13 alldaveallen

alldaveallen

    Legendary

  • IMG Writers
  • 630 posts
  • Location:Somewhere between the computer, the fridge and the nursery

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

What I was unable to articulate in my first post was that because there is not very much contrast between the backgrounds in the various areas on the page, everything seems to be floating in an undifferentiated space. For example, as I'm writing this, I'm looking at Frigidman's last post, and his name, stats, etc. on the left are only barely separated visually from the content of his post by a thin grey line. But this is really just an aesthetic issue, with only a little bit of effect on the actual functioning of the site. I'll see how it goes before I really weigh in on it--this is just a first impression. As always, thanks to all the admins and mods for running such a great site.

#14 Sneaky Snake

Sneaky Snake

    Official Mascot of the 1988 Winter Olympics

  • IMG Writers
  • 3304 posts
  • Steam Name:SneakySnake
  • Steam ID:sneaky_snake
  • Location:Waterloo, Canada

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

The only small gripe I have is the color of the dots that signify a users rank. I think that they should stand out more, since it looks to me like I'm chatting with a bunch of people who are 'appearing offline' or something of the sort. I think if they were yellow or any other color for that matter, it would just make the users seem more lively, if you get my meaning.
2015 13" rMBP: i5 5257U @ 2.7 GHz || Intel Iris 6100 || 8 GB LPDDR3 1866 || 256 GB SSD || macOS Sierra
Gaming Build: R5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz || Asus GTX 1070 8 GB || 16 GB DDR4 3000 || 960 Evo NVMe, 1 TB FireCuda || Win10 Pro
Other: Dell OptiPlex 3040 as VMware host || QNAP TS-228 NAS || iPhone 6S 64GB

#15 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

    Legendary

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Location:UK, The 51st State.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

View PostFrigidman, on 06 March 2010 - 12:11 PM, said:

Ohh. Yeah. The lighter general background was a bold move from the old style. I may end up just toning it down more since it is a bit glaring like you said. My first impression when going through the forums after I setup the skin, was "hmm... might be a bit too bright for an audience used to a dim color scheme...". I might make a poll about it in a week, after people have used this current color scheme more.

Thanks. Yep, doing a poll sounds good. :thumbsup: It may well be a close call.

Quote

I may just end up making it a Pro choice only  :P
Talking of doing a poll, what's one more. How about doing 2 polls?  :D

#16 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17440 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

View PostSneaky Snake, on 06 March 2010 - 01:49 PM, said:

The only small gripe I have is the color of the dots that signify a users rank. I think that they should stand out more, since it looks to me like I'm chatting with a bunch of people who are 'appearing offline' or something of the sort. I think if they were yellow or any other color for that matter, it would just make the users seem more lively, if you get my meaning.
I second this.  I like the gold square pips much better.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#17 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

    Eye Sea Yew

  • Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Location:East mahn, East!
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

I'll get the gold pips in. I agree, the gray dots of smear were not a good thing to leave, and something I overlooked.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester


#18 Thain Esh Kelch

Thain Esh Kelch

    Admin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3821 posts
  • Steam ID:thaineshkelch
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 07 March 2010 - 04:20 AM

Thumbs up, I love the new look! Are you also going to update the main front page with something similar?

The only thing I can put my finger on, is the fact that I would like the "Posted Today, 12:07 AM" in the top of each post, to be moved up in the same bar as the name.

And, where do I see how many votes I have per day? O_o

Edit: Also, is it on purpose that I can't see my own icon in my posts? It shows up just fine in the top-right of the page.
"They're everywhere!" -And now, time for some Legend of Zelda.

iMac 2011, quad 3,4Ghz i7, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon 6970m. + 2016 Macbook m3 + iPad 2 64GB + iPhone 4S 64GB + Girlfriend + Daughter

#19 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

    Eye Sea Yew

  • Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Location:East mahn, East!
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 07 March 2010 - 04:20 AM, said:

And, where do I see how many votes I have per day? O_o

Edit: Also, is it on purpose that I can't see my own icon in my posts? It shows up just fine in the top-right of the page.
Dont know about votes. Thats something new... never looked into it yet.

As for your icon on posts, well, the upper right is a thumbnail of your profile photo. The image that goes with your posts is your Avatar. They are two different ones, editable in your profile settings area.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester


#20 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

    Carnage Served Raw

  • Admin
  • 17440 posts
  • Location:Citadel City, Lh'owon
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

View PostThain Esh Kelch, on 07 March 2010 - 04:20 AM, said:

And, where do I see how many votes I have per day? O_o
You mean the "vote up" and "vote down" votes besides each post?  The number should appear to the right of the voting buttons.  They are zero by default.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat