#1 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

With all new code, that changes a butt-load of stuff, there will be odd things cropping up. Please bear with us as we tackle each one in turn to get rid of them all.

The skins system was updated quite a bit from the older version, and as such added a bunch of things that did not exist before.

If you are having SERIOUS display issues with the forums, first try to PURGE YOUR CACHE in your web browser. CSS has a bad habit of hanging onto old settings. If that doesn't work, let us know your browser version and specific problems. Most times you can hold cmd-shift and click the refresh button on your browser and it will clear up 99% of the problems.

If you come across anything else, list them out here in this topic.

SPECIAL NOTE TO IMG PRO USERS (repeated here):

The skin has changed a bit. Pro skins are currently the normal IMG and the cold pulse styles. Matrix is out, sorry. Unless we get enough complaints for a Matrix forum skin, it will remain out. You can activate either skin on the bottom of the forum (bottom left pop menu), or select your theme in your pro preferences like before.

Not seeing pro forum themes? Make sure you have your "Forum Link" setup in your IMG Pro Preferences area. Still an antiquated method, but it works for now. Any issues, please report them.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#2 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

I got this error:  

Fatal error: Call to a member function paginationTemplate() on a non-object in /home/insidemacgames.com/httpdocs/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php on line 2581

when I clicked on the View New Content link.  The problem seems to have cleared up though.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#3 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

Yeah, I was testing something with the cache handler. Which, according to that error, means it didnt work, so I put it back. I will have to discuss that one with the server guys.

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#4 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7160 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

Wow, this is kinda different.  Seems like some previous forum glitches have been cleared up, haven't encountered any new ones yet.

--Eric

#5 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hold onto your hats.  I just deleted almost every ban filter we have, hope that wasn't a mistake, but we gotta know how safe this place is.  I enabled the registration questions and added 7 super easy questions that should baffle a bot.  reCAPCHA is enabled by default I believe.  I hope.  I fixed some major glitches in the user permissions, glitches that would allow guests, those validating, and even banned members to post to the iPhone forum.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#6 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, tBC, also, I enabled that when a moderator flags a person as "Spammer" ... all their posts are instantly removed, and they are banned immediately. Its kind of extreme, but we will see how it fares. The other settings are a bit more laxed and require more steps to nullify spammers, but I think going for the extreme first may work out ok. I trust our moderators.

-Fm [1oM7]

#7 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

Must...resist...urge...to...flag...tBC...as...spammer...must...resist....

--Eric

#8 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • 8100 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:14 AM

Not a glitch, but maybe a grammatical flaw: on the profile page, it says "(User) has not set their status". We didn't know we are many.

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#9 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Steam ID:dojoboy65

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:13 AM

Ooh, I got one!  I got one!

The link in an 'instant email notification' to a thread your following does not take you to the recent posting.  It takes you to the start of the thread.
"There is no end to sorrow."  ---Van Gogh

#10 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:29 AM

Avatar's do not appear at the top-right of a page, which you probably know.  Thinking if I uploaded a new one, it would work.  Nope.  And, avatar's of "friends" in profile view do not appear.

#11 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:35 AM

I'm beginning to feel like a PC user who just bought a Paradox game.  ;)

#12 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:49 AM

Following the link to go to the last post of a thread takes you to the bottom of the post, requiring you to scroll up slightly.  That's just too much damn work!   :bleedingeyes:

I think I lost posts (post count) in this transition.  Thought I had over 3K, but I could be thinking about CFC.

#13 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

View PostJanichsan, on 06 March 2010 - 03:14 AM, said:

Not a glitch, but maybe a grammatical flaw: on the profile page, it says "(User) has not set their status". We didn't know we are many.
Whatever  :cool:  I am not going to go through and change useless grammatical things that were not put in by us.

If you have a suitable genderless single word replacement, then let me know. However since the English language lacks such a useful word, the general public has accepted the use of they and their. Due to this, no one really gives a pop snizzling flaming fire truck  :lol:

View Postdojoboy, on 06 March 2010 - 06:13 AM, said:

The link in an 'instant email notification' to a thread your following does not take you to the recent posting.  It takes you to the start of the thread.
Probably a design choice by IPS. Not something we could change. Well, we could change it, but I have no desire too. The point of these new forums is to make as little changes to stock code as possible so that we are not put into a situation that takes us years to update the code, and weeks to perform such update like this one took.  :D

View Postdojoboy, on 06 March 2010 - 06:29 AM, said:

Avatar's do not appear at the top-right of a page, which you probably know.  Thinking if I uploaded a new one, it would work.  Nope.  And, avatar's of "friends" in profile view do not appear.
Caching problem on your browser. I see the small thumbnail for me (even in opera where I hadn't even gone to these new forums yet). When I changed it, I saw the updated one. Also, I see peoples avatars and profile images too just fine. Try the force refresh trick and see if it clears up. All images were imported from the old board, so they exist! I also see your avatar right now... HMmmm.

View Postdojoboy, on 06 March 2010 - 06:49 AM, said:

Following the link to go to the last post of a thread takes you to the bottom of the post, requiring you to scroll up slightly.  That's just too much damn work!   :bleedingeyes:

I think I lost posts (post count) in this transition.  Thought I had over 3K, but I could be thinking about CFC.
Bottom of the post? Weird. Its not doing that for me when I click to go to newest posting in a thread I have viewed before. Or clicking the link to go to the last post in a thread by so-n-so. What browser are you using? Which thread is this doing it in. Maybe try that force refresh, also log out and back in again. I cant see what would cause that, as the jump anchor tag is situated at the top of the post the ID is for... so by all standards, it should jump you to that location... not further down.

As for post count... its a side effect I'm sure of a huge upgrade process. There must have been something in the conversion scripts that reset member's post count based on actual posts that exist in the database now instead of what could have ben posted in the past. Sorry.

-Fm [1oM7]

#14 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:09 AM

Reposting this here:

I'd like to also note, that the "View New Posts" is much different now.

1) It wont error on you with bright red boxes and flashing lights if no new posts exist. It will now say there simply are no new posts.

2) You get the link by clicking the text link on the upper right under the header/nav band. The link is right next to the RSS feed icon. So you can use that now for bookmarks if you had them, because the old bookmarked link wont result in anything.

-Fm [1oM7]

#15 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

We have a couple of new members overnight and they look like actual people.  Without the ban filters and the using the old system, we would have approximately 60-90 new spam accounts and 2-3 pages of spam listings using the View New Content link.  I'd say, this new setup is frakin' awesome.  

I'm going to leave our moderators active so that they can examine and become familiar with their new controls and then I'm going back to the old way of having just one moderator at a time swapping them in and out to keep them in the loop and up to speed.

Thank you Eric5h5, Frost, and Tesseract!  It would have been an impossible job without your help!  You guys are awesome.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#16 Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Minion Tormentor

• Members
  • 7160 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:52 AM

You're just saying that because my finger hovering over the "erase all traces of tBC from existence" button is making you nervous. The sudden withdrawal after all these months of incessantly blocking spammer after spammer has made me twitchy....

--Eric

#17 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17430 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

Actually you can't do that because all moderators and Admins are exempt from being flagged as spammers.  But I wouldn't put it past you looking to see if you could.  You have, and always be, a cat hating, trouble making, right bastard who falls into the "keep your enemies closer" category.  Seriously though, be very careful with flagging spammers.  You will be tasked with finding and replacing all the posts you deleted at the flip of a switch and some of them go back for years in a huge cache of deleted garbage.  Better be damned sure the member you are using this on is both new as well as a spammer.  Remember that I've been making developers out of some game developing folks that may look like a spammer.  If you aren't positive then just hit the Report button and I'll take it from there.

[EDIT] K, I just looked deeper into this and the posts aren't deleted, they are set to be unapproved which means they stay where they are but they are invisible to all except mods and admins.  Once they are marked as spammers though, your work is done, I'll come by and delete their stuff in the admin panel where I can delete all their posts with a touch of a button.  Also when they are marked as spammers, their profiles are emptied meaning all the spam links and messages in them are erased.  Very cool feature, because in the old system I was forced to delete the accounts that I would normally ban because they all had birth dates that would pop their names and spam back onto the boards once a year.  Saves me the trouble of deleting them.  You go IBP.

Also as an added delight a feature has been included that Frigidman and I have be jonesing for since... like ... forever.  There is now a promotion system for new members requiring them to have two posts approved by moderators before they can post freely to the boards.  So if a spammer does get through, he can fill all the forums with his garbage but nobody will see it but us moderators and admins.  If you see that happening, moderators, mark him as a spammer and I'll get to him.  If it looks like a real person posting a real message to the boards then please approve his post.  Unapproved posts should appear highlighted or marked in some manner that is easily seen from the forum indexes.

Hopefully you forum members will never see another spam here!  ::knock on wood::
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#18 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:32 AM

I like it but would love to see the tread topics bold, please.

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#19 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:15 PM

View PostDaveyJJ, on 06 March 2010 - 11:32 AM, said:

I like it but would love to see the tread topics bold, please.
Please elaborate? Where would this be in, which page, or result of action. I'm sure I can find it in the skin template, I just need to know where to look.

(oh, I moved your post here, cause this thread is more about fixing the skin, than the other thread you had posted in, hope you dont mind)

-Fm [1oM7]

#20 dojoboy

dojoboy

DJJ is the greatest!

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:03 AM

View PostFrigidman, on 06 March 2010 - 07:50 AM, said:

Caching problem on your browser. I see the small thumbnail for me (even in opera where I hadn't even gone to these new forums yet). When I changed it, I saw the updated one. Also, I see peoples avatars and profile images too just fine. Try the force refresh trick and see if it clears up. All images were imported from the old board, so they exist! I also see your avatar right now... HMmmm.

I've forced refreshed, no change.  I've cleard cache and deleted all IMG cookies, no change.  Using Firefox 3.6, and noticed the same avatar issue in Safari.  I've deleted cookies and cache, plus forced refreshed.

View PostFrigidman, on 06 March 2010 - 07:50 AM, said:

Bottom of the post? Weird. Its not doing that for me when I click to go to newest posting in a thread I have viewed before. Or clicking the link to go to the last post in a thread by so-n-so. What browser are you using? Which thread is this doing it in. Maybe try that force refresh, also log out and back in again. I cant see what would cause that, as the jump anchor tag is situated at the top of the post the ID is for... so by all standards, it should jump you to that location... not further down.

The two current threads on Steam.  It all worked fine from the forum itself, but I was referring to following a link from an instant email notification.  I'll see what happens on the next instant email notification.