#41 jackdawsson

jackdawsson

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

View Postrhywun, on March 4th 2010, 09:36 AM, said:

So a slightly-higher percentage of the world's best-selling games will make their way to the Mac - yay, I guess. Will it result in any games which don't make it in the Valve universe, making it to the Mac?
I know it's being extremely optimistic, but hell I hope it does result in many more games as I badly want "Empire: TW" at some point!  However, if not, this is more or less most of what will be on offer to Mac gamers along with the Valve games:

Games on Steam where a native Mac port already exists

#42 Frigidman™

Frigidman™

Eye Sea Yew

• Admin
  • 4265 posts
  • Steam ID:frigidman
  • Pro Member:Yes

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:53 PM

View PostWolfchild, on March 4th 2010, 02:36 PM, said:

In any case, I'd probably be willing to pony up $40 each for for an OS X version of TF2 and Portal even though I already own Orange Box - provided they were quality ports and get equivalent frame rates.  I've more than got my original money's worth of fun out of the Orange Box.  As a game franchise, Team Fortress 2 is having some real legs, thanks entirely to Valve's continually upgrading it with new features, items, achievements, maps etc.
Yeah, TF2 is pretty fun to romp around in. Varied classes to suit all kinds of players. Fun actions, sayings, taunts. And valve like you said keeps adding stuff to it even today. Why tBC isn't playing it, I guess is due to his antiquated machine ;) I mean, it has his favorite class, the soldier rocket toting ornery hot tempered american. Gibs a plenty!

-Fm [1oM7]
"I'm not incorruptible, I am so corrupt nothing you can offer me is tempting." - Alfred Bester

#43 the Battle Cat

the Battle Cat

Carnage Served Raw

• Admin
  • 17376 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

View PostFrigidman, on March 4th 2010, 01:53 PM, said:

I mean, it has his favorite class, the soldier rocket toting ornery hot tempered american. Gibs a plenty!
Reading that was just like looking into the mirror.  Only without the sound of cracking glass.
Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

#44 clocknova

clocknova

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

View Postikir, on March 4th 2010, 02:03 PM, said:

And what about an upgrade?
maybe 50%-75% off the price to buy mac version of your already purchased pc titles?

I would be willing to pay a nominal fee.  But only a small one.
There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead.
-V. Marchetti, CIA

#45 Ranger_Joe

Ranger_Joe

Legendary

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Steam Name:rangerjoe79

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

This is very good news for our platform.  The more digital retail outlets Mac developers have access to, the better.

#46 ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data

Positronic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

http://www.macrumors...firmed-for-mac/

Seems Portal 2 has been confirmed for Mac based on the latest issue of Gameinformer magazine.

It'll be interesting to see if they are just planning on Mac support for new games going forward or are they going to go back and bring their older titles to Mac too and at what price.

#47 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

View Postltcommander.data, on 07 March 2010 - 11:51 AM, said:

http://www.macrumors...firmed-for-mac/

Seems Portal 2 has been confirmed for Mac based on the latest issue of Gameinformer magazine.

It'll be interesting to see if they are just planning on Mac support for new games going forward or are they going to go back and bring their older titles to Mac too and at what price.

They've already indicated that they're porting the back catalogue too. HL2, TF2, L4D and Portal are all on the way.

For anyone who wasn't following the teasers up to the Portal 2 announcement, it was pretty awesome. They updated the original game with radios hidden in each level. If you picked a radio up and brought it to a certain spot in the level, it would start picking up a transmission. The sounds were Morse code and SSTV signals which decoded into a series of images (one of the Morse signals literally spelled out "beep beeep beep..." etc., which in turn was "LOLOLOL" in Morse). The images were photos from around a lab or office, and alphanumerics taken from them turned out to be an MD5 hash of a Seattle area phone number, which was connected to a BBS. Some folks dusted off their old modems, and after later figuring out the login info for the BBS, connected to it and received a number of ASCII images and text samples teasing the second game, and indicating some things about what it would feature. They also updated the game a second time, adding something new to the ending.

Read it all here. I know Valve has gotten some hate around here, but this is part of why the PC world thinks they're one of the best developers out there.
The dork formerly known as nobody
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64
PC: Q9550 | 6950 2GB | 8GB RAM | 80GB SSD + 750GB HD | W7 x64

#48 DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

All hail Bastet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3895 posts
  • Steam Name:DaveyJJ
  • Location:Inside Bastet's secret temple preparing for the catpocalypse.

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

L4D or L4D2?

Raven 27" i3 iMac 3.2GHz | 12GB RAM | 1TB HD | 512MB 5670 ATI Radeon HD
Crow iPad 2 | 32GB WiFi

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish folk saying
"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." -- Terry Pratchett
"I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul." -- Jean Cocteau

#49 Smoke_Tetsu

Smoke_Tetsu

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts
  • Steam Name:Tetsu Jutsu
  • Steam ID:smoke_tetsu

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:15 AM

Both?
--Tetsuo

Alex Delarg, A Clockwork Orange said:

It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

the Battle Cat said:

Slower and faster? I'm sorry to hear such good news?

Late 2012 27 inch iMac, Core i7 Quad 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB, 3TB HDD - Mavericks

Late 2009 27 inch iMac, Core i5 2.6GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850HD 512MB, 1TB HDD - Mavericks

Mac Mini, PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9200 32MB, 256GB HDD - Leopard

Dell Inspiron 1200 Notebook: 1.2GHz Celeron, 1.2GB RAM, Intel GMA915, 75GB HDD - Ubuntu

Generic Black Tower PC, Dual Core 64-bit 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 9600 GT 512MB - Windows 7

#50 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

Presumably both. The teaser image shows Francis, from L4D1, but I don't see why not both. I was just being lazy by typing L4D without numbers.
---
MBP: C2D @ 2.66 Ghz | GeForce 9600M GT 256Mb | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD + 500GB HD | 10.6.2 / W7 x64

#51 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

This article says All Valve titles are coming. :) Well actually it says "Selections from Valve’s library that will be available at launch include Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, and the Half Life series."

Guess we'll see then!
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#52 Janichsan

Janichsan

Jugger Bugger

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8075 posts
  • Steam Name:Janichsan

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

Oooooh, nice!

"Checking in code produces a PC build and Mac build at the same time, automatically, so the two platforms are perfectly in lock-step," said Josh Weier, project lead on Portal 2. "We're always playing a native version on the Mac right alongside the PC. This makes it very easy for us and for anyone using Source to do game development for the Mac."

Source

"We do what we must, because we can."
"Gaming on a Mac is like women on the internet." — "Highly common and totally awesome?"

#53 MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

MILBOP DIPPLEBERRY

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

Are they saying all third party developers are on board, or just some, because there are A LOT of games on Steam.

Either way, congratulations.

#54 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

View PostMILBOP DIPPLEBERRY, on 08 March 2010 - 02:00 PM, said:

Are they saying all third party developers are on board, or just some, because there are A LOT of games on Steam.

Either way, congratulations.

Only the ones with a current Mac version of their game initially, though it will be good incentive for others to start new ports, or start developing cross-platform.
---

#55 kingarthur_kom

kingarthur_kom

Heroic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

So can I play these games without an internet connection? For example if I am away traveling?

#56 bobbob

bobbob

Uberspewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

View Postkingarthur_kom, on 08 March 2010 - 09:12 PM, said:

So can I play these games without an internet connection? For example if I am away traveling?
You can put Steam into offline mode before you leave, and it will work for at least a few weeks until it asks to go online again. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

#57 Wumpus

Wumpus

MacGameCast Host

• IMG Writers
  • 1472 posts
  • Steam Name:the_great_wumpus

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

View Postbobbob, on 08 March 2010 - 10:48 PM, said:

You can put Steam into offline mode before you leave, and it will work for at least a few weeks until it asks to go online again. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

I use Steam in offline mode all the time. No issues!
Macgamecast.com - Mac news, reviews and more!
IMG Reviews, Previews & Features
MGC Podcast Host. (Want to hear something discussed or join the fun? Let me know.)
Subscribe to the Podcast (iTunes)

27" iMac, Core i5 Quad 2.8Ghz, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5750 1GB, 1TB Hard Drive

#58 PeopleLikeFrank

PeopleLikeFrank

Uberspewer

• IMG Pro Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

The last few Steam patches have had notes in them about improving the reliability of offline mode. It always worked for me though.
---